Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update on Vista Save Game Corruption Issue

Legate of Mineta

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have patch 8, and my last saves just disappeared from the load and save menu. I can see the file with all the other saves, but there's something strange : the size. THat corrupted save was near the end of the year and all my other saves are also near the end. They all are about 70 Mo, but the corrupted file is only 7 Mo. Something got wrong while saving (it was a save on an already existing file)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I was just wondering if there had been any progress finding/fixing the problem. Also if the tips in the first post here are still valid.

I usually save once every one/two week to avoid this, but it would be good to worry less about it. :)

Adrian;

We are still working on the issue actively and have isolated it down to one particular step in garbage collection (it is definitely a .NET problem, although why it's isolated to Vista we can't say right now). We're now looking for ways to discover what's throwing the exception, as getting at the root cause is a bit difficult.

Hopefully soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Before corruption, in two games I have used the Selective Focus ability. The problem with the ability is that it lowers more than one skill. It appears to function relatively appropriately for about one turn then functions inappropriately with inaccurate __ of ___ skill point readings displayed. (A number of skills with multi-point increases shift to 0 of 1.) I am no programmer in any language past DOS, but something this dyscombobulated could possibly crash a game over time. Since one of my games crashed after I added an attribute item during a selective focus use, I'm thinking that may be what's doing it. I'd be happy to be wrong but just want to mention this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I bought and download the game onto my Win 7 64 bit machine and I get as far as the first day. Any attempt to save or complete a day causes the game to lockup and I have to end the process with the task manger.

What can I do to help resolve this?

I have followed the .Net 3.5 suggestion and even installed the latest patch as of this week. No go.

Hope we get it going.

• 1 month later...

I think I have this problem too, although I do not have Vista. Windows XP SP3. Saving worked fine first (for three first saves), but all my later saves just did not stay in the menu (save/load). When I tried to overwrite one of the older save files, it disappeared. I checked the folder with saves (C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Academagia), and the newer files are there, but their size is 0 KB. So I suppose they are corrupted. I have .NET 4.0 Client Profile installed. Delete?

I'd like to add that I'm also having this problem. Despite uninstalling .NET 4 and using only .NET 3.5.1.

I'm using Vista, the game is installed on an external so I doubt UAC has any bearing there, though I've set it to run as administrator and set compatibility to XP.

If there's any way I could lend a hand I'd be happy to do so.

Having to restart because I lose the ability to save at all is extremely frustrating; I haven't even finished a single year yet.

Archived