Black Chicken Studios Forums

a coupld of noob questions

Perles75

Hello,

I've been playing Sadie for a few hours, I'll post elsewhere my first impressions (anticipation: they are definitely positive! :P) but there is something I would like to ask that is not completely clear to me... perhaps some of the questions have been answered in the tutorial, but I was more focused on learning the main rules and perhaps I missed some details, so sorry if I ask stupid stuff!

- I maybe have missed it in the tutorial, but when you start an Adventure (sorry, in this moment I just don't remember the official in-game term so I'll use the Academagia one :) ) you have the list of tests that pertain to that adventure. The green "rest" of course indicates the limit of the blocks, but some tests are in red and I don't get the difference between the white ones... perhaps the white ones are the one "that you can miss without big consequences" and the red ones are the really important ones?

- what is the role of the score of the parent skills? (athletics, wits, etc.)

- this is more a comment on the rules than a question, but it can very well be that I make some mistake somewhere (or again, I missed something) so I put it here. It seems to me that the challenges during adventures rely much more on inspirations than on the actual score of the skill that is tested. After all the skill gives 1 start point each 10, and the cards easily get a +5. It seems to me that you can never pass a test just with the skill points or even with the play of just one card. So, when I prepare for an adventure, I basically just charge myself with cards neglecting the skills.

I feel that there's something wrong in this reasoning, so can you point it to me? :)

Besides, this has the consequence that if the adventure block is made by more than 3 challenges, it is basically impossible to be successful! At least in Academagia if you failed a test, you were getting bad consequences but the adventure was stopping there so you could repeat the test as many times you wanted, here it's really one shot!

- I maybe have missed it in the tutorial, but when you start an Adventure (sorry, in this moment I just don't remember the official in-game term so I'll use the Academagia one :) ) you have the list of tests that pertain to that adventure. The green "rest" of course indicates the limit of the blocks, but some tests are in red and I don't get the difference between the white ones... perhaps the white ones are the one "that you can miss without big consequences" and the red ones are the really important ones?

-Red indicates a critical obstacle - one that requires success in order to progress further with an Adventure (You'll find critical obstacles in Adventures that are not necessary to complete the Main Adventure/Caper)

-White ones simply mean you can proceed even with failure

this is more a comment on the rules than a question, but it can very well be that I make some mistake somewhere (or again, I missed something) so I put it here. It seems to me that the challenges during adventures rely much more on inspirations than on the actual score of the skill that is tested. After all the skill gives 1 start point each 10, and the cards easily get a +5. It seems to me that you can never pass a test just with the skill points or even with the play of just one card. So, when I prepare for an adventure, I basically just charge myself with cards neglecting the skills.

I feel that there's something wrong in this reasoning, so can you point it to me? :)

-Even if you train your skills, and keep stress very low, you are correct, you will almost always need an inspiration or two/three to win an obstacle. So while you can stock up on inspirations, later in the game you'll need both Skills and Inspirations to raise your Relationship/Dream score

Besides, this has the consequence that if the adventure block is made by more than 3 challenges, it is basically impossible to be successful! At least in Academagia if you failed a test, you were getting bad consequences but the adventure was stopping there so you could repeat the test as many times you wanted, here it's really one shot!

-Sounds like you are playing on Normal, or you're playing a lot of Adventures? I think the most you can expect to see for each playthrough is at most 1/4 (based on my own exp) of the content (or even less!) and that's if you don't care at winning too many obstacles. Most characters have a set of skills associated with them, and the good news is if you focus on those, that will increase your chance of success.

That's my impression but I'll leave it to the Legate for more. :P

All correct! :)

You'll find that your success in Stories, especially in the harder Difficulties, is entirely dependent on your ability to match the very best Inspirations efficiently. Easy is much, much, much more forgiving.

The Attributes (Charm, and so on) govern how easily you can raise a Skill, similar to Academagia. They also have some unique Inspirations available.

Thanks!

Just to be really clear, does the point of skill raise depend only on the attribute, or also on the action that one chooses to raise that specific attribute?

By the way, yes I'm playing with Normal difficulty.

anyway what I was not speaking about how many adventures you can play or not play, but about the fact that when you play an adventure there can be up to four or five skill tests before the next break. Considering that it's basically impossible to overcome a test without cards, I find very difficult if not impossible to be completely successful in an adventure block (that is, between two rests) if this is composed by many tests one after the other.

This in addition to the fact that, unlike Academagia, an adventure test cannot be repeated ad infinitum.

Fortis;

Yes- being completely successful is a difficult task on Normal; you'll need to save up the special Cards and be sure to have the best Inspirations in order to complete that kind of series. More than likely, if these are Standalones, you'll want to do them at the end of the year, when you have more Inspiration Cards available.

The effect of Attributes is to give +1 Skill Level increase for each 10 you have in the Attribute. The Actions can have a larger base than +1, but I don't think very many of them do (if at all!)

If that answered your question? :)

Is there a way to increase the number of Inspiration slots you have available? I found the number I was able to hold changed throughout the game, and couldn't figure out why. Is there a stat to raise to increase the number of slots available? I apologize if this was explained in the Tutorial and I simply forgot it.

Fortis;

Yes- being completely successful is a difficult task on Normal; you'll need to save up the special Cards and be sure to have the best Inspirations in order to complete that kind of series. More than likely, if these are Standalones, you'll want to do them at the end of the year, when you have more Inspiration Cards available.

The effect of Attributes is to give +1 Skill Level increase for each 10 you have in the Attribute. The Actions can have a larger base than +1, but I don't think very many of them do (if at all!)

If that answered your question? :)

you answered indeed very precisely, thanks! :)

Something that I noticed... sometimes the Caper steps indicated in the list do not correspond to what I have to face... for example, I expect a part between two rests and instead I get the following one. Is it a game problem or is it done on purpose? or does it depend from some dialogue choices that allow to skip a test and a rest break?

I just got home from Peru and I was able to start the romance with Sterling - that said I now regret it deeply, as my dream score is zero and I see no caper with him <_< ANYWAY.

Since this is newb questions I have one. I am sorry I forgot his name, Jamie, or.. James.. the one Anna liked once upon a midnight dreary - the one that smelled like milk. .. ... Which kind of milk? Now, normally I would say milk doesn't smell. With time I'm fairly sure that this changes, but SURELY if he smelled like OLD milk they'd remember to add that... yes. Surely. Regardless. How does milk smell? I am tempted to go into my fridge and smell milk. Seriously. I refuse! I am starting to question my sanity in this.

don't kill me but I have another question about Capers... what happens when you fail a red-colored test? can you repeat it again (in Academagia-style) or does the Caper disappear with no possibility of recovering it?

I believe most of the time you can repeat it... I say "most" however because I think if a Caper is limited to a specific location like Peru, you are limited to your time in Peru to be able to retry it.

Feeling like a bit of a Numpty here, but I've been playing for some time now, and each time just as I think I'm getting the hang of it, it turns out I really haven't yet!!

I'm in Egypt, I've been training and getting inspirations to get past the first three Obstacles listed for the Ahmose adventure, as they're listed in red so I don't want to fail them. But whenever I start the caper, I get obstacles with completely different options! None of which are anywhere on the list for the Ahmose adventure. So I got through the caper by failing all my obstacles. I checked my Journal and it said I did indeed go on the Ahmose adventure, and the continuation of the adventure has moved to a different Location (which the same skills and obstacles listed as before). So... how do I know what to train for if what I get is completely different from what is listed?

I am so lost... :(

Butterfly;

Hmmm! I'm very surprised to hear it- a quick review seems to indicate that it is correctly stating what the Obstacles will be: Flirting/Occult Lore for the first Obstacle, Leaping/Perception/Poise for the second, and Problem Solving for the third. The first part, initiated from the Base Camp, has no Obstacles. When it ends, you can continue it at the Pyramid.

Is it possible that you are completing the first part of the Mummy Adventure correctly, and then, perhaps, the Main Story is happening automatically afterwards? It sometimes has Obstacles in it, although they are not critical to succeed in.

Please let us know, and thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply! I think I'm getting it now - I think what happened is exactly what you suggested: I started the Ahmose adventure and got a part with no obstacles in it (It had professor Blake's lecture in it and one of the workers at the dig). Then I got the main adventure (the bit with Sterling where Sadie steals that blonde guy's cloak) straight after - and this bit had three other obstacles in it, which I hadn't been training for (one with Magic Tricks, one with Strength and one with Resolve/Perception). I just was SO confused for a moment! Going to try and continue the Ahmose adventure now, to see if I get the Flirting/Occult Lore obstacle etc.

• 3 weeks later...

No, he has the same amount. You can miss some, though....

Thanks. I do not know how I did :( I have done nothing but watched for his unless I play Sadie too crazy for his taste. You would figure once they start dating they would have more interaction with each other. It seems not more that usual.

We really need some sort of advanced warning of day events. I could be missing some there I am always improving my skills. and clicking on the map to get rid of those narrative clouds also eats a time slot or two. That doesn't make sense to me.

Archived