Black Chicken Studios Forums

van Tibernius Mathematics School

Schwarzbart

arithmancy..... I wonder if we will see any of that in year 2.

In year 1 I took Aritmatics on almost every student, even if it didn't seem that rewarding. I guess it might help you with your economy skills at least. If you get some use out of them in the future :)

I think "The Everard Equation" seems to be the closest thing I've seen in Y1, but it's located under Astrology.

IT would be nice to seem some more usefulness for mathematics and Geometry.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Arithmancy"? What is that, the Academagia equivalent of a calculator?

I found a Harry potter reference making it sound like Astrology, but with numbers.

Maybe there could be other uses for it in Academagia.

Maybe it could help you setup difficult spells. Least the description of Arithmetics and Geometry makes it sound like it is a useful aid in advanced casting. Making it easier for you to use more advanced magic than you normaly would be able to... or something like that.

It's hidden away in the lores if you are interested. Since this is a thread about math I suppose posting one isn't out of place.

"The Aspiring Arthmancer

No subject in Academagia is as wide spread, and sometimes lamentable, as Mathematics. Quite frankly, there’s a disturbing number of students who wonder what the purpose of Mathematics is, in a world where variables are changed as swiftly as a wave of a wand.

What is the purpose of learning what 2 + 2 equals… when a defiant young wizard can put four apples into a basket, wave his wand, and suddenly there will be five? How can you begin to say 2 + 2 does not equal 5 when the boy can say: “Sure it does. Look!”

In practical, non-magic application - Math is a discipline that is invaluable. Mathematicians have the prestige given to potentates and merchant princes, and ever more advanced algorithms are daily being created to understand natural phenomenon. But for mages, the importance of Mathematics has often been dismissed.

That was until a brilliant young mage named Horace Godfreed began to look at magic in a non-practical way. He began to see how words and gesticulations were used to formulate spells and realized, at its core, magic is mathematically based. How to say the words of power were a function of when to wave the wand or hand.

A wizard who has ingrained formulae into their heads could produce amazing results with spells, doubling - sometimes even tripling their efficiency. Later chapters give examples of how Arthmancy can be applied to the mainstream schools of study."

arithmancy..... I wonder if we will see any of that in year 2.

In year 1 I took Aritmatics on almost every student, even if it didn't seem that rewarding. I guess it might help you with your economy skills at least. If you get some use out of them in the future :)

I think "The Everard Equation" seems to be the closest thing I've seen in Y1, but it's located under Astrology.

IT would be nice to seem some more usefulness for mathematics and Geometry.

Sorry this Adventure and reward is in core only about making arithmetic and geometric easier to unlock and train for people who don't have them as class in year 1. So it don't change anything about the usefulness of this skills.

A wizard who has ingrained formulae into their heads could produce amazing results with spells, doubling - sometimes even tripling their efficiency.

And triple efficiency mean what, exactly? You only need to wave your wand once instead of three times? You can conjure three hurricanes instead of one? You can roll v. 4 instead of v.12? You can stuff three Air Phemes in a spell instead of only one?

That entire lore entry read like a pamphlet for the newly opened Snake Oils&Scams Incorporated. I'll stick to rampantly abusing Attributes, and if a rainy day comes From Novice to Master or Glow of Victory (seeing as how someone isn't in Enchant and thus doesn't know 6th Finger).

Well I wasn't going to post the whole frigging thing in here. way too much text.

Here's a small blurb from another lore, though

One practical application is illustrated by the fell wizard Destrobeign. It was said, during a Duel, he created two daggers floating in the air before him. Using a complex group of Phemes, he was able to infuse the spell with the 6th power of 2, which any mathematician can tell you, is 64. Thus, 2 daggers immediately became 64 - and, with but a single word of power, they all flew at his enemy at once.

Needless to say, he won the duel.

There's no way in hell that is going to be useful for anything other than the most basic of basic spells, if at all. If that worked on anything worthwhile you could turn Wrath of the Comet's Tail into a meteor shower just by infusing it with the power of 2^6...

...Does that work on Wrath of the Comet's Tail, it not being in Y1 aside? I could do with a meteor shower when Kurt gets cute in Y2. I mean, there's only so many people I can make Joana and Philippe hate before the idea loses it's appeal.

It's hidden away in the lores if you are interested. Since this is a thread about math I suppose posting one isn't out of place.

//

"The Aspiring Arthmancer

No subject in Academagia is as wide spread, and sometimes lamentable, as Mathematics. Quite frankly, there’s a disturbing number of students who wonder what the purpose of Mathematics is, in a world where variables are changed as swiftly as a wave of a wand.

What is the purpose of learning what 2 + 2 equals… when a defiant young wizard can put four apples into a basket, wave his wand, and suddenly there will be five? How can you begin to say 2 + 2 does not equal 5 when the boy can say: “Sure it does. Look!”

In practical, non-magic application - Math is a discipline that is invaluable. Mathematicians have the prestige given to potentates and merchant princes, and ever more advanced algorithms are daily being created to understand natural phenomenon. But for mages, the importance of Mathematics has often been dismissed.

That was until a brilliant young mage named Horace Godfreed began to look at magic in a non-practical way. He began to see how words and gesticulations were used to formulate spells and realized, at its core, magic is mathematically based. How to say the words of power were a function of when to wave the wand or hand.

A wizard who has ingrained formulae into their heads could produce amazing results with spells, doubling - sometimes even tripling their efficiency. Later chapters give examples of how Arthmancy can be applied to the mainstream schools of study."

Interesting lore! I actualy made several of my students mathematical geniuses/prodigy as a roleplaying thing. Sounds kind of weird in a place where most would go for prodigy in Incantation or Negation or something like that.

But that actualy makes it seem useful.

Metis in this case its intentional written wrong for dad! (After all its how a 6-7 year old girl talk not write) Beside nearly all of my adventures and other adventures I had a closer look from the writer corner got half of the text rewriten by the editor anyway.

Accepted, but there's still other mistakes and it'd be better not to rely on the editors to fix those.

Well, they did let the odd one or two slip into the finished product :rolleyes:

In practice correcting English, etc is generally relatively easy (spelling moreso than grammar I find) for a native speaker and a pain for every one else - I could rattle though the adventure above in fairly short order if Shwarzbart wanted me to, and frankly it would be more efficient to have someone let me do so, than for him to stop inventing the fun stuff and do the trudge-work of spellchecking.

Although I would have correct Dady to Daddy too, artistry is often misunderstood. :unsure:

In practice correcting English, etc is generally relatively easy (spelling moreso than grammar I find) for a native speaker and a pain for every one else - I could rattle though the adventure above in fairly short order if Shwarzbart wanted me to, and frankly it would be more efficient to have someone let me do so, than for him to stop inventing the fun stuff and do the trudge-work of spellchecking.

Yeah, frankly I'd do it myself (since if I have the time to complain about it I have to the time to grab my lazy ass and do something about it), but while I was the best English speaker in my class I'm not a native speaker.

I might actually start posting my own Y2 adventures (what I have at least) in the Writer's Corner myself, both for mass-proof reading and as motivation for getting it done already. So much effort though...

Svinik when I have done 5b also it would be great if you do so, but right now I still have to get some good idea what to write there :)

Happy to do so (remind me if I forget, I'm terrible for doing that but it isn't intentional). 5b - perhaps seeing the picture he asks you to do one of another of his beloved pets - for which he increases the reward to the 100% off voucher?

Metis: I often find myself not starting a job that's just too big, or getting bored half-way through and leaving it unfinished. The way I overcome the first is to break it down into bite-sized chunks (i.e. "I will wiki the adventures for my college and, say, 6 others on this run-though and save other write-ups for another time", the only solution I've ever found to the second is getting others to cheer me on / nag / etc with admittedly poorer success. Good luck. :D

I'm unfortunately too busy with my own adventures (my own many adventures). You should probably do the proof-reading yourself anyway, since you're the only one that's near guaranteed to understand little details and the like.

• 1 year later...

Archived