Black Chicken Studios Forums

Vernaris: Future Dark Lord or Misunderstood Loner?

Ascartand

Another short chapter before the time skip.

The Awakening

“So, what is the book about?” the Conspirator said as Miron attempted to read a novel from the Sunlands.

“I have no clue, something about a CogSpring having adventures?” Miron said confused. “The words are a bit difficult to read.”

“Trying to learn that language huh? So you can enter the Academy.” The Conspirator stated trying not to be obvious. “Why do you want to learn magic?”

Miron put down the book and thought for a while. “I guess because it is fun.....no because it will give me new advantages in seeking out my life’s mission.”

“Really?” The Conspirator said not convinced. “There is nothing else?”

“Alright....because I want to get rid of whatever dear Mother did to me all those years ago.” Miron said after a period of hesitation. “And magic may be the key since it was magic that did this. Perhaps...Perhaps my friends can come back.”

“What you mean the Knight or that Dark Lady? I am the only friend you need.” The Conspirator said. “Not them or that ridiculous Enchanter who tried to convince you of some higher beauty in the world. Just me! The one you knew since birth.”

“I guess but don’t you miss them?” Miron questioned.

“Why.....of course I do.” The Conspirator said with a comforting tone. “However, I am the only seeking to advance your destiny. And the magic they will teach at that academy won’t be enough to fulfill it.”

“What do you mean? Do you know other types of magic?” Miron said. “Magic that can help me?”

“It won’t solve your problem but it will make you stronger than most.” The Conspirator said. “The power to control minds and the power to summon the greatest of creatures along with the ability to traverse great expanses of space. None of that school’s magic can be comparable.”

Miron’s eyes lit up at the thought of mind control or even summoning creatures. “Teach me. Teach me these powers.”

“All in due time, you have to learn the basics of magic first, how to cast and such.” The Conspirator said rather smugly. “So here is what you have to do...”

And so the two began over the basics of magic casting. It was a good forty-two hours of learning on the hands of Miron. Knowledge that was sure to help in the years to come. What dampened the mood was when he learned from Sido about the forbidden pillars of magic. What he was learning carries the penalty of death in the Empire of Man.

“So what we spent learning over the last two days is illegal and therefore worthless.” Miron complained. “After all this time and you didn’t bother to tell me.”

“Hmm, must have been quite recent.” The Conspirator mused. “Well the problem of living a long time. Oh well, then we must hide your knowledge from your peers. Shame then if I remember about that school. A library that possess the books you need to continue on that path.”

Miron thought for a while, to continue on this path could lead to an unfortunate end but the rewards was too much. To quit now would be a waste of time. It was two days but those two days could have been used for something else. He decided.

“Then hide it we must.” Miron said before closing the door to his room.

“Yes though I suppose your gentle nature of sorts can be a mask while you are there.” The Conspirator said. “After all we wouldn’t want your awakening to end so soon now do we?”

“No we don’t.”

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I know its a bit late, had a period of time to decide the actual Academy stuff. Short chapter leading into the finale of the prologue. The next chapter would be Departure.

Two Years Later

The night sky was filled with bright burning stars that seem to irradiate the entire island. It was on the Day of Fallen Kings that Miron look up once more towards the very beings that heralded his destiny. He always enjoyed the stars but lately he had no time to view them. It has been two years since his decision to study the forbidden arts and while he learned what he can, Miron had to balance those studies with the studies his parents gave him. Lessons about courtly manner and the occasional dance lessons. His favorite was music in its transcendent qualities, eagerly giving his all to the tutor’s instruction. All of this in preparation for his attendance at the Academy of Magic of Mineta so he would not appear like a fool and embarrass his family. Granted anything he would do will be considered an embarrassment to his family anyway.

Sido himself left about a few months ago so he could prepare for another school year, the school year Miron would attend the famed Academagia. One would say that Miron missed the man but in truth he didn’t considering that he would see him soon enough and that he was a crazy foreigner who got overexcited even over the most mundane things. The professor was getting along in learning the island’s language but Miron and others have long gave up on teaching him the more intricate parts. But all of that didn’t matter.

What mattered was the journey to the island of Mineta. It would be a long trip with many dangers ahead. If Miron wasn’t so excited about new possibilities and the adventures that lied ahead, he would have believed that his parents were trying to kill him in the hope of an accident somewhere in the endless sky. Said endless sky seemed so welcoming.

“Soon we would depart for the Academy.” The Conspirator said. “The stars are beckoning you forth to fulfill their gift. See them gleam in excitement. Hahahah, the power we will gain.”

“Well I wouldn’t call them gleaming but they are beautiful in that dark abyss mortals call the sky.” The Enchanter gleefully said. “I can’t wait for you to attend that school, the environment here has become quite..... boring.”

Boring? Yes life on Isla Vernarae had become quite boring as the once gorgeous vista became dull from overexposure. Few parts of it was true beauty or it would have remained invigorating to the boy. Perhaps Mienta... Meita.... Mineta, it was one of those, will bring new excitement and perhaps something truly beautiful.

Bum! Brrum! Brrrumble!!!

The sound of drums perforated the air bringing Miron out of his thoughts. The nobility of the city was preparing for the Fallen Kings Festival to celebrate their heritage despite many couldn’t even trace their lineage to the kings. He watched as the procession from the Palace marched out with many carrying the brightest of torches. They will reach the city square in about a few hours. There will eventually be songs but until then, Miron sequestered himself in the South Tower, reading over again the acceptance letter for the Academy of Magic of Mineta for perhaps the fiftieth time.

• 1 month later...

Well here is the final part of the prologue after some six months. The ship to Mineta has finally set sailed. Miron's journey begins at last.

----------------------------------------------------

Departure

The day has finally come. Miron D’al Vernaris, youngest son of Inrell D’al Vernaris is leaving the home island for the first time to attend the legendary Academy of Magic of Mineta. To the lands where the Sun burns brightly. At first glance it appears all of the nobility attended the departure ceremony at the Capital’s Harbor. Though Miron knew that such a gathering was there because custom demanded it whenever a member of the Lord Protector’s family was leaving the island.

“May the Maiden of the Sun bless this child’s journey into the Sunlands....” The Head Priest chanted, breaking Miron out of his daydream. “May his journey be safe from all dangers both foreign and near.”

Blah blah blah was all Miron was hearing after. All he wanted to do was get on that airship as soon as possible but the clergy is known for their long speeches. When the man was finished his family approached putting on the display of familial worry or at least his mother was.

“Son. A legacy of countless heroes rest upon your shoulders. Do not embarrass us.” Inrell D’al Vernaris stated with a small hint of malice. “Do not give the school cause to send you back here in the middle of the year.”

“Husband, you fret too much. All that matters is that he stays safe.” Lady Alaine said hugging her youngest son. “Make sure to write every so often so we know what is going on. Promise?”

Miron looked into her eyes for what seems to be a long period of time. Is she serious?

No. No. No she is not. The Conspirator’s voice echoed in his head. All lies.

“I.....promise.”

“Yeah well make sure you do. You know how mother gets.” Cassius joked. “Though I suppose you will be having too much fun.”

“Please Cassius, I don’t think our brother knows what fun is.” Cassia exclaimed. “He is probably going to get in trouble all the time when he is not doing boring things like painting.”

“I don’t know. Our little brother has some surprises in him. Not that you would know being concerned with dresses and boys.” Cassius retorted with a big grin. “One would think...”

“Don’t finish that line! I know what you are thinking.” Cassia angrily said.

“Enough.” Lady Alaine ordered. “The whole island can see.”

She turned back to her youngest son and gave a peck on the forehead. It was time. The boy was finally leaving.

“May the Sun shine on us when we meet again.” His mother’s last words were though the falseness in them can be detected.

“If only the Maiden wasn’t heartless.” Miron quickly said before turning to head towards the ship. He can already hear the footsteps of people leaving and with one quick glance, noticed his family was the first to go.

When the ship left port and began sailing, Miron walked up to the top to see his home for the last time before he return. Granted it wasn’t much of a home to him but you can’t choose where you think home is. The harbor was emptying as the last stragglers of the nobility began to leave except for one individual.

Standing alone was Pazzi clad in the finest clothes he can afford with Miron’s banner in one hand. The young man waved when he saw his lord on the top deck. Miron waved back though half-heartedly. It felt like he was abandoning Pazzi, which he was, and resolved to send his letters to his loyal servant. The young man deserved as much.

Pazzi continued waving until Miron gave one final wave and head back downstairs. The young man stood on the harbour until the vessel that carried his lord disappeared into the horizon before turning to go back home.

The first part of the interlude between prologue and year one proper. In these portions, Miron D'al Vernaris will take the back seat as other characters come to the forefront even ones shrouded in myth. Hope you all like it. Also Adrian, you are wondering what Pazzi does when Miron is gone? Here is a little taste.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interlude Part I- The Loyal Man

Pazzi has always been a loyal person. Granted many would tell him that his loyalty has been misplaced. Before his service in the castle his loyalty was to his street gang, The West Harbor Phantoms. That changed when he got conscripted into the Vernaris army during the Hartly Uprising and due to his age assigned to the Child of the Red Moon, Miron D’al Vernaris. Given that he barely knew the family it seemed risky that they would allow a total stranger to guard and be a servant to one of their own but the way they treated his lord, the situation was obvious.

It has been a few days since his lord departed into the Sunlands to attend an school of magic called the Academy of Magic of Mineta. Maiden above, he heard enough about it over the course of several years. It was one of those things that entered their conversations over the year. A smile emerged on his face remembering the old days before someone broke him out of his spell.

“Pazzi? Pazzi of the West Harbor? Is that you?”

Pazzi turned to the voice and was surprised to see who it was.

“Kathie! How long has it been?” Pazzi happily said.

“Three years, three long years since you got taken away by the Fairies.” Kathie said before embracing Pazzi in a long hug. “We thought you disappeared during the fighting.”

“Wasn’t much of a war. Got a new job.” Pazzi said as he broke free.

“Oh yeah? What you a captain now?” Kathie asked.

Pazzi laughed. “No, I am a knight now.”

“Get out of here! You can’t be a knight.” Kathie asked astonished. “You serious, an actual knight.”

“Yeah, happened about two years ago. My lord told me that it wouldn’t be fitting for his first standard bearer to be common.” Pazzi answered. “Then I became a knight. All official and everything. Even got a coat of arms.”

“Well look at you. I guess you have been too busy to see your old friends.” Kathie said. “Harlon has been looking for you.”

“What does he want?” Pazzi said as a frown emerged.

“Come to the old hideout in three days and you will find out.” Kathie said before kissing Pazzi on the cheek before running off.

Pazzi stare at her disappearing into the crowd, wondering what exactly does his old buddies want. He found out three days later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So I hear you are a Knight now.”

“Yeah I am.”

“Then I guess you just forgot about your family.”

“My family is fine, doing better even.”

“They are not your family, we are.”

Pazzi glared at Harlon, his old gang boss before sighing.

“Kathie said you been looking for me. What do you want?” asked Pazzi.

“Straight to the point then. We couldn’t find you. Most of the old crowd came back and you weren’t there. We spent three years looking for you.” Harlon answered

“Why three years. You can do many things in the meantime.” Pazzi questioned.

“I promised your sister I would find you. Of course that was before she moved to the Sapphire District. I thought she was working as a servant or something like that.” Harlon said. “After all we are family. Now I learn that you spent the last three years up there with the highbrows. What? You too good for us now.”

“I got my parents to consider.” Pazzi said. “But really what do you want?”

“I got an idea. One that involves you. We planned a heist in the palace.” Harlon smiled. “Only our ideas to get in failed but you being a knight can let us in with no problems.”

“You want me to betray the noble I swore loyalty to?” Pazzi said with an incredulous look on his face. “Throw away all I done for old time stakes.”

Harlon got up with visible anger. “So you became a dog. I knew it ever since Kathie told me.”

“Who are you calling a dog?!” Pazzi yelled. “At least I am doing something with my life.”

“Oh and what a wonderful life it is.” Harlon shouted back.

The door opened with Kathie holding a concerned look. “Everything alright?”

“No!” both boys shouted.

Harlon began pacing back and forth as Kathie took a chair before finally speaking. “Look all we ask is that you get us in. We take a few things to feed our families then we leave without suspicion falling upon you.”

“Please Pazzi, we really need this. My little brothers haven’t eaten in awhile.” Kathie begged. “For old times sake?”

“That or we handle your sister.” Harlon muttered.

Pazzi stared at the ground for a period of time before speaking. “Give me time to think about it.”

“How much time?” Harlon asked.

“Sundown, I will give you my answer then.” Pazzi answered before leaving.

Pazzi walked and walked until he reached the Sapphire District. The guards moved to block him before they realized who he was and let him through. After that debacle, Pazzi reached his small home that his lord gave for his service. Inside were his parents sitting at the dining table.

“Whats wrong?” His father said as his parents took in the dark look on their only son.

“I met Harlon and Kathie again.” Pazzi told his parents. “They want me to let them in the palace.”

“So?” His mother said. “What is the harm in that?”

“Don’t be stupid Clara. They intend to rob the place. They were always up to no good.” His father said. “You said no right?”

“They threatened Jen if I don’t. Also I feel tied.” Pazzi said. “You brought me up to honor our deals and be loyal no matter what. What happens when those two loyalties clash.”

Pazzi’s father stroked his beard before shaking his head. “Do the obvious thing. You think Harlon and that Kathie gave us this. No. No it was you showing loyalty to our lord’s family.”

“Whatever you plan to do. Just know that we will support you no matter what.” his mother said.

“Just make sure it has to do with our generous master.” His father said before lighting his pipe. “Can’t be seen as too ungrateful.”

“When do they want their answer.” The man continued before coughing.

“Tonight. They want it tonight.”

“You got time but you know son. Some loyalties are not worth keeping.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You sure this will work. I mean us disguising as servants.” Harlon complained.

“Of course, whenever has Pazzi’s plans failed us.” Kathie said. “Though these clothes are too tacky for me.”

“Quiet......Palace servants don’t talk that much.” Pazzi said. “We are almost there.”

“I gotta hand it to you. Never expected that you would come around that easily.” Harlon said. “I thought you would say no.”

“As you said we are family.” Pazzi remarked. “Just let me do all the talking.”

The rest of the West Harbor Phantoms nodded as they reached the gates. The two guards at their post looked on with suspicion.

“Sir Pazzi. We weren’t expecting a crowd.” Guard One said.

“Well, I told the Captain that my family was recruiting servants. Here they are.” Pazzi said confidently.

“Yes mysir but not in these numbers. We were expecting maybe four not ten individuals.” Guard One said.

“Are you questioning me?” Pazzi stated with a hint of malice. “After everything I done for the Vernaris family.”

“No, not at all mysir but....”

“But what. I can vouch for them. Now let us pass.” Pazzi ordered.

Guard One looked at Guard Two who nodded in confirmation.

“Fine.” Guard One said while opening the door. “Have a nice day mysir.”

The West Harbor Phantoms walked through the gates to the Sapphire Quarter, with Kathie being amazed at their surroundings.

“Wow! I never thought the Sapphire Quarter would be this beautiful.” Kathie said astonished. “I mean I heard it's beautiful but not at this level.”

“Just stay focused.” Harlon said. “We are not in the palace yet.”

Pazzi snorted. “Technically we are in the Palace.”

“Whatever!” Harlon snapped back. “When do we reach the servant’s entrance?”

Pazzi turned around near one of the service entrances and did a small flourish. “We are here. Don’t steal too much.”

“Oh we won’t. Just a little.” Harlon smiled as he hugged Pazzi. “Perhaps I shouldn’t have doubted you. Welcome back to the family.”

“Yes....thank you.” Pazzi said, taking out the dagger his master gave him at his knighting ceremony. “I know who I should be loyal to.”

Harlon laughed just as the dagger pierced his side. Said laughter quickly became cries of pain.

“Pazzi?!” Kathie screamed as she rushed to Harlon. “What have you done?!”

“Fulfilling my duty.” Pazzi told her as guards began to surround the group.

“Well done mysir. Well done.” The Captain of the Guard said emerging from behind the door. “Your lord will be proud of what you done.”

“Traitor!” Harlon screamed while grasping his wound. “You betrayed your family.”

Pazzi looked at the other boy sadly. “No. I am protecting mine and that of the one I swore to do.”

“Ignore them. Come. Let me present you to the Lord Protector so he knows who thwarted this plan.” The Captain consoled Pazzi, placing his arms around the young man as the two began walking further into the palace. “Loyal knights go far in the court even if they are servants to the lesser of Lord Protector’s family.”

It was a while before they reached the throne room where the Lord Protector was. The Captain cleared his throat, motioning for the guard to open the door.

“Presenting, Sir Pazzi K’al Pazzi. Founder of House Pazzi. Swore knight of Lord Miron D’al Vernaris. The Steadfast Knight!”

At that moment. Pazzi knew he made the right decision.

I'd almost saw "aww!" but there is this... nagging feeling that Pazzi might be stabbed at any moment. But I'm glad to read on regardless ;)

It's a tough choice though, hopefully Kathie well be treated fairly, as in, better than fair, I suppose. Though I'm suspecting that she is likely skilled at using emotional manipulation to get her way... At any rate, you have to respect ability when it is well honed, even the kind that you don't exactly condone.

Another interlude story. This time dealing with the story told to children of Isla Vernarae and the basis for a very popular folk song enjoyed by all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interlude Part I- Of the Maiden and Fairies

Long ago perhaps before even the dragons were banished from the Sunlands. There was a island. It was similar to nearly every island that floated high above the lands of Cyve except for one thing. The Maiden of the Sun never shined her light upon it. She didn’t have to since there was no people but wilderness and animals foul. That would soon change.

Somewhere far away in the Sunlands, a mighty king ruled. His kingdom was vast and its holdings rich beyond compare. But all of it would have gone to waste without a queen. He didn’t want just any woman but the fairest in the world.

One day as he looked up at the sky, he noticed something or rather someone. A beautiful young woman in the sky dancing with not a care in the world. It was the Maiden of the Sun herself in all of her radiant glory.

“There!” The Old King said. “There is the Queen my people deserve!”

And so he had his people prepare a great monument to entice their future queen to the land. But she never came. Desperate, the King gathered his court magicians and ordered them to help him ascend to the sky so the fair maiden can hear his proposal. So they did and when the time came, he flew straight above to the sun.

The Maiden of the Sun never had visitors before so she allowed this king to reach her. When the man did, she blushed for this king was fair beyond compare. Seeing her made the man’s heart race and his words almost stumbled upon each other.

“Fairest Maiden in the World.” The Old King said. “I ask for your hand, to be my queen. For my people deserve you more than other.”

“But Your Majesty. How can I ever leave my beautiful home in the sky?” The Maiden asked. “How can I ever be free tied to the land? I must say no.”

“Please.” The Old King plead. “Do not reject me. Only you can make my kingdom more renowned than ever.”

The Maiden gave a sad smile before turning away, leaving the Old King to despair. In his grief he flew down and down towards the ground but when he landed, he realized he was nowhere home but on a different island. That spot would be later known as Fair King’s Descent.

Faced with this new reality, the Old King bellowed to the sky.

“Harpy of the Sky! You leave me in such pain. But know this, one day you will notice me again. I built one great kingdom, I can build an even greater one even if shrouded in darkness!”

The Old King went to work, leveling forests and shattering mountains to build the foundation for the new kingdom that was to be formed. Unaware that his descendants would shatter and formed their own petty kingdoms. But as he worked. The Maiden of the Sun caught someone else’s eye.

The rich would always desire their mates to be beautiful. No more than merchants as well. There was one greedy beyond compare and this merchant boasted that his wealth bought even the daughters of kings to his bed. Tired of his boasts, the villagers in his home town gathered around him and pointed to the sky.

“There is one woman that would deny you no matter your wealth. She lives above in the sky.”

The Greedy Merchant licked his lips as he looked up and saw the very maiden they spoke of. Quickly he began to find a way up and he did. Though he spent a huge fortune to do so but he didn’t care. As he approached, the Maiden of the Sun saw the lust in his eyes.

“Oh Fair Lady, I desire your hand. I can buy you the greatest luxuries in the world. Accept my offer for none would compare!” The Greedy Merchant said.

One long look and the Maiden of the Sun flew away. And so the Merchant fell down. When he awoke, he found himself in a strange land. It was shrouded in darkness but he can see the lights of civilization in the distant. However he had one thing to say before he went.

“Prudish Maiden! I spent the lifetime of hundreds to build my great wealth. Completely gone to chase you. In this dark land I will become wealthy again and you will notice me!”

And so the Greedy Merchant moved towards civilization while marking the way with stones. The Great Road was established that day.

When the Greedy Merchant reached the town, The Old King greeted him and the two agreed to work together to create the most powerful kingdom in the known world.

At the same time, another fell in love with the Maiden of the Sun. A farmer who prayed for a wife, one worthy to be the stepmother of his children. When he looked to the sky, he felt that his prayer was answered by the gods.

He didn’t have the tools of kings or the wealth of merchants but the gods were on his side and sent him flying to meet the lady of his dreams. The Strong Farmer made a gift. A fine carved wooden horse but in truth it was not enough.

“Oh fair Maiden. The Gods have granted this opportunity. I ask that you be my wife and stepmother to my children.”

The Maiden of the Sun smiled sadly.

“I can not. Two greater men have came before you and I have rejected them. You are kind and strong but I will not be tied down even for one as great as you.”

She flew away just like the other times though she gave a few glances. The Strong Farmer fell just like his betters down to the earth below. When he awoke just like them, the man found himself in a dark land but the Old King and the Greedy Merchant worked fast. Paved roads awaited the farmer who made his way to civilization. There he met the two founders.

“Hail friend” The Old King greeted and the Strong Farmer knelt in his presence. “Do not kneel, we are all equals here. Scorned by that Heartless Harpy in the sky. Take my hand and help us build a great kingdom.”

The Strong Farmer instantly got up and began to work, creating vast fields for the crops to feed this new kingdom in the world. The Old King went to divide his lands to the various noble families and the Greedy Merchant sought to expand his wealth. Each unaware of the last one who desired the Maiden in the sky.

It was a young man with nothing to his name but the clothes on his back. He was a slave and desired nothing but to be free. That was the case until saw the most beautiful woman in his life, more beautiful than the wives and mistresses of his master.

And so the young man worked a way to meet this divine woman. He prayed daily but the Gods ignored him. Instead something else helped him. Something from beyond. A voice that called to him. His only friend in the world. This friend granted him the ability to ascend and thus he went to the sky to meet the Maiden of the Sun.

The Maiden however was in no mood to meet another suitor and groaned as the young man approached. As the young man spoke, she rolled her eyes and pushed him down towards the ground. And he fell into the darkness.

When he awoke, the Young Man saw a great kingdom that laid before him but he was not in awe. He panicked, believing that he would return to chains and under the advice of his sole friend, the Young Man ran into the forest. Where he cried and cried until a fairy took pity on him as his tears watered the flowers at his feet. Eventually their union spawned the man known only as Ver Naris, founder of the line of Vernaris.

This is the story of our first ancestor......

“Dad. That’s a boring story!” Young Cassius complained. “You promised a grand story, one with magic and knights.”

“Those are more boring. I rather have dad tell me stories about princesses and handsome princes.” Cassia said.

“Yuck.” Cassius said while making a disgusted face.

Inrell D’al Vernaris sighed in disappointment which caused his children to quickly become quiet. They always hated it when their father did so. To be a disappointment to their hallowed line.

“This story is important, it tells how our family came to be.” Inrell said. “One’s familial history is important. Interacting those of inferior lines or traitorous ones can easily bring one’s reputation down.”

“My dear husband, they are just children.” Lady Alaine said while stopping to get some rest. Her belly swelling with the latest in the Vernaris family waiting to be born. “Leave the tales of past ancestors to the tutors and tell them adventures.”

“They have to learn about their legacy, Dear wife. And now is the perfect time.” Inrell stated. “Their future sibling will bear the same mantle.”

“We will look after him dad, train him to be a great knight!” Cassius yelled excitedly while running to his mother. “Won’t we Cassia?”

“Who says that it would be a him? Could just be a girl as well.” Cassia said.

Lady Alaine laughed as she embraced her children.

“You will look after your sibling no matter what. Promise?” Inrell said to his children.

“We promise!” The twins said simultaneously.

As Inrell began to tell another tale to the Vernaris, one about the Starry Maiden of Vernaris, Lady Alaine rubbed her belly feeling her baby kick. Her children promised they would look after their new sibling but that was not enough. Lady Alaine promised to the baby that would soon be born that she would love him or her no matter what until the end of days. Better to be the sympathetic fairy than the heartless Maiden of the Sun.

Interlude Part I- The Monster

“Mama, I don’t want to marry him.” Lady Alaine begged her mother. “Anyone but him.”

“You have no choice.” Her mother said. “Our family’s survival depends on this.”

“But you told me the Vernaris line is nothing but monsters and madmen!” Lady Alaine cried. “Don’t do this to me!”

“And I said. We have no choice.”Her mother said firmly. “We will not go the same route as the Calderas, the Tyvias, the Mathias, or the rest of the old families that refuse to acknowledge the truth. That the Vernaris rule over this island.”

“Why not a cousin then?” Lady Alaine asked. “Merry would be happy to marry those monst-”

An audible slap could be heard throughout the room causing several of the servants to flinch.

“Ma-mama” Lady Alaine started.

Another slap to the face.

“Don’t be stupid child!’ Her mother yelled. “You think they will be satisfied with a cadet. No it has to be the mainline and unfortunately for you, your older sister is being married off to the new lord Salus.”

“But mama.” Lady Alaine plead.

“Not another word! Look at you. A complete disgrace to the name of Amelion.” Her mother threatened. “Women of the Old families do not cry but accept their fate. Are you not of the Old Families?!”

“Yes mama.” Lady Alaine said. “I am.”

“Then act like it.” Her mother said motioning a nearby servant to pour some wine. “Cause you behave like one of those new family harlots. You leave tomorrow, end of discussion.”

Lady Alaine began sobbing more as her mother left the room drinking. The servants rushed to help the daughter of their lord. None knowing how to comfort Lady Alaine but place a hand on her shoulder, telling her that everything will be fine. But that didn’t stop the dread in her heart and thoughts that race through her head. Life has turn for the worst. A young woman alone in a nest of dragons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long ago in the land forsaken by the Maiden of the Sun. There was a proud kingdom ruled by the descendants of the Old King. Life was good as everyone knew their place. As the King Aznable held court, the doors opened to reveal a Monster.

This Monster was shorter than the average man, wearing mismatched rusty armor with a cloak made of leaves and flowers. The only thing that seemed to be of high quality was the sword on its belt. The only symbol it bore was on the tree bark that served as a shield, a sapphire winged fairy.

“Why did you come here stranger?”King Aznable questioned.

“Oh King Aznable, do you not know that it is impolite to not feed your guests?” The Monster said in its melodious voice.

“You are no guest, Guards throw him out for his intrustion!” ordered the king upon realizing him.

As the guards moved to remove the Monster, the Monster tapped the floor with its foot and the guards became ensnared in vines. Their bodies began turning into wood. With this the Monster gave out a small laugh.

“Do you not know why I came?” The Monster said smiling. “The Forest Council has sent me to deliver our demand.”

“Demand?” asked the king. “What sort of demand?”

“Sacrifice, Sacrifice, Sacrifice! The voices call for blood of anyone but the council calls for someone from the castle!” The Monster stated in maniacal laughter. “Hahahahha, Old King. Who would you sacrifice? A daughter? A son? It matters not but sacrifice must be done.”

“Is that all?” King Aznable questioned thinking of a way to escape the current demand.

“Oh! I know that look.” The Monster said. “A game, a game. You guess my real name and I would leave. Tell the council that you avoid the sacrifice by beating me at my game.”

“Deal. Give me three tries.” The King said confidently. “Three tries.”

“But that is not fair.” The Monster complained until it realized something. “Three tries but each time you fail, I get one more person.”

King Aznable was playing with a dragon now, he had three tries to guess the Monster’s name but if he failed...if he failed three people would be condemned.

“Done. Three tries and if I fail each time, you get one.” King Aznable said.

The Monster left and the court began to discuss among themselves, seeking to deliver their rivals into the creature’s hand. But of all the king’s courtier, only one individual was not scared. The Princess Selene, eldest daughter of King Aznable, decided upon herself to find the Monster’s true name. Her first thought was the forest, seeing as the Monster was arrived from there but there was no clue to the identity of the stranger. It took her all day and with no results Selene was ready to give up until she overheard something.

“What fun a great game is!” The Monster exclaimed. “Can people even guess my real name? The fools the lot of them.”

It began to dance around an open flame. “Old Ver Naris has tricked them. Oh my friend, three souls to your liking for tomorrow I feast!”

Selene listened intently, Ver Naris was the creature’s name! The people of her city was safe. She rushed home quickly to tell her father, not knowing that the strange creature suddenly stopped dancing.

“Is she gone?” the Monster spoke out loud. “What would I do without you, Great Devourer. Fools, three offers to our plates!”

Silence filled the air but the Monster did not care, quickly entering into a conversation with a creature only he can hear...one from the other side.

The very next day, the Monster returned to court eager to obtain his prize.

“King Aznable! Are you ready? Are you ready?!” The Monster laughed. “Remember one person for each failure.”

“I’m ready foul creature.” King Aznable said, hiding his emotions.

“Well, what is my real name?” The Monster asked.

“Vernin Cas.”

“Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.”

“Char Aznable.”

“My king are you trying at all? Two to the forest come!”

“Ver Naris.” Princess Selene loudly and confidently said.

“H-How?!” the Monster exclaimed. “How did you know my real name?!”

“I overheard you while you were dancing around the fire.” Selene smugly said. “Perhaps you should have been more careful.”

The King smiled and was about to speak before the Monster lifted one hand up.

“Well, well. I suppose that I lost......if that was my real name.” The Monster said tilting his head. “You lost. I will take my three!”

“Liar, that is your name!” Selene argued. “You lost. Go home!”

The Monster laughed and laughed. “No, no my dear!. You have been tricked! Tricked!”

“No. I have decided. I will not honor our deal if you insist on playing.” King Aznable said. “Begone, and tell your....council that you failed on account of your actions.”

“A DEAL IS A DEAL!” The Monster boomed with rage. Its melodic voice turning vile. “WE HAD A DEAL!”

“If you want blood so much than care for a duel?” Sir Vihil Caldera challenged, the brave knight eager for action. “To the first blood. I injure you, you go home.”

The Monster was still seething though it nodded.

The two circled around each other and began fighting but Sir Vihil Caldera was no match for the being’s inhuman speed, losing his head in the process. As the man’s body began to fall, the crowd began to turn upon each other, not wishing to die next.

“Hold vile creature! I will be your next foe.” Sir Tyvia said.

The Monster did not even allowed him to draw his blade. “Two for three. Who will be the third one?!”

No one was brave to stand against the creature of the forest. No one had a death wish.

“I will fight you.” Princess Selene said after a long silence.

The two entered a stance and prepared to fight. The Monster suddenly lounged but Selene had studied his technique and managed to dodge. One strike to the helmet and the face of the creature was revealed.

It wasn’t the horrid imitation of woodland creature but that of a young man. He was pale with raven hair though streaks of white was visible. His gray eyes shocked at someone even hitting him.

“There, done. You lost!” Selene said as her people cheered.

The Monster’s face quickly went from shock to a scowl. “You have not won! You have not won!”

“I just did, now begone!”

And so the princess saved her people only to make a permanent enemy of the person known only to them as Ver Naris. What she did not know was that the fates of the Old Families were sealed with her actions. The war for the island was about to begin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been several years since Lady Alaine’s marriage to the now Lord Protector Inrell D’al Vernaris. It was an unhappy marriage at least on her part but there were moments of happiness such as her two children, the twins Cassius and Cassia, the only true things she owe in the world. It helped that they resembled her more than their father and they prefer her company over him. But not even their love is good enough to prepare her for the death of her latest child.

Oh her son was still breathing but it was not her son. Instead a monster has taken his place. The boy bore more of a resemblance to her husband’s grandfather than her. The same raven hair with streaks of white hair and his eyes...his eyes were the same pale gray as the stories told of the infamous first Lord Protector. All the Lady Alaine could think of is that any day the Monster would reveal itself but instead every day it pretended to be a little boy.

She always had feelings of unease around it but she smiled in its presence, attempting to fool the creature. The effects of doing so unknown. Sometimes she believed that the Monster bought her deception.

Lady Alaine always had to deceive people a skill earned just by being born in the Old Families, and if she had to pretend to love that monster....well by all appearances. She will. The laughter of her children brought her back to reality and she eagerly went to find them. Unaware that the Monster was observing her actions before disappearing into the dark.

----------------------------------

Happy New Year people!

Hahahaha, well I got the idea from watching too much folktale videos. I thought that it would be a nice touch to explain some history of the island without going into full historian mode.

But we shall see whether you will follow the older, darker trends in fairy tale stories, or whether this will end in a Disneyfied sugar-coated happy ending. We shall see. :)

Lets go with, it ends happy for only one family. Everyone else suffers.

Sometimes I forget that Miron is actually a broken boy. This chapter takes place before his negation and something darker lies below. Mimicking his voice to pretend to be his thoughts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interlude Part I- The Design

When the Red Moon Child was growing up, it believed that it was alone, lost in the void known as life despite having several voices speak in its head. Its parents possessed a dual nature alternating between loving and utmost contempt though the child would eventually know that they only possessed contempt.

At first the boy was split between two identities. The Monster known by all to be nothing but a monster that would bring destruction and chaos. The other was Miron D’al Vernaris the lonely boy that attempted to win the affection of his family only to receive none in return, disavowing the voices in his head. Caught between two worlds, both offering punishment. As the Monster the voices offered comfort only to abandon him when he became Miron D’al Vernaris who nobody wanted or do with unless he does something they deem wrong or misinterpret it to be so. The reactions of his parents was worse.

Growing up, his parents fought alot especially when they believe that the children would not overhear. The twins naturally blame their youngest sibling as their parents were happy before he was born. Cassia was the cruelest using both physical actions and emotional abuse to get her point. Cassius on the other hand joined in until he felt too uncomfortable to participate. Miron told himself that it didn’t hurt despite the pain he felt.

One day as he waited outside his mother’s chambers to tell her something he accomplished, something heroic only to hear his father and mother arguing.

“I told you many times before!”His mother’s voice could be heard from within. “That monster should be sent far away from the palace as possible. To another island perhaps. To one of your cousins who left the island.”

“He is my blood!” His father yelled which surprised the boy. “No Vernaris should be exiled to another place even if they are the spawn of the void itself.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Do you want to hear one day that the Monster kill our children as they slept.?”

“You are the one being ridiculous! You know what I have enough.” His father’s last remarks were before storming out, presumably towards his study.

Lady Alaine walked out to see her husband turn the corner unaware of her son who stood nearby.

“Did I made you and dad angry?......again.” She heard her son spoke, rattling her nerves before she composed herself.

“No. Of course not. What possessed you to believe such a thing.” Lady Alaine told her son, giving him a beaming smile. “We were just talking.”

“Are you going to send me away?” Miron said softly. “I didn’t do anything lately.”

“What makes you think we are going to send you away?” Lady Alaine asked.

“You said that the monster had to be sent far away.” Miron answered holding back tears.

“You are not a monster.” Lady Alaine reassured her son, even embracing the boy. A once in every five years event. “What make you think you are one?”

The boy just remained silent for awhile. Because you always believed so. “Because....because.....never mind.”

Lady Alaine smiled. “Go on then, go to your room.”

Miron nodded before running away back to the South Tower, his refuge in the world. The boy was on the roof standing on the ledge with the open night sky being welcoming with the stars twinkling. Thoughts rolling around in his head.

They are going to send me away. What did I expect after all? They don’t want me. Of course they don’t. I didn’t do anything lately. Does that even matter? What should I do? Do I go and pretend nothing happened? No. I will stand my ground. But that won’t change anything. I should work more to be worthy of my forefathers. No don’t be ridiculous. Instead I should go on a different path. Be my own. That wouldn’t change anything but make them hate me even more. They already hate me. Nothing would ever change that. I just don’t want to be alone. But I am not alone. The voices, they are my friends.....My only friends. If only they never left me. They left because I am not worthy enough for anyone....

The boy walked upon the ledge staring at the stars above, one misstep and he would have fallen to his death but the boy didn’t care. He had done this before. If he was to fall nobody bat an eye but if he didn’t then the world still wanted him.

One can argue that this behavior and thought pattern was dangerous. They are right just as how it makes one mind easier to change. Afterall I mold his mind into my design..

• 5 weeks later...

Another blast to the past. Don't worry, next chapter would be firmly in the present, more specifically in Elumia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interlude Part 1- Starcrossed

Cassius D’al Vernaris ran throughout the palace, dodging the servants that seemed endless in number. He had to avoid the hunter that was stalking him so. He could feel her eyes upon him but his foot was quicker, instantly shifting into an adjacent room within the archives. The Hall of Ancestors.

He took a deep breath before walking among the images of the long dead. Most of them had a grand tale of glory attached to their name but none more so than Ivell K’al Vernaris, the actual founder of his family line and the First Lord Protector of Isla Vernarae. Cassius always wanted to emulate this ancestor of his, for how many can create a legacy that stretch for thousands of years.

As he pondered the deeds of Ivell, small hands covered his eyes.

“Guess who?” the female voice giggled.

“Well you sound prettier than my sister.” Cassius jokingly said. “And my mother would never do something like this.”

“That doesn’t answer the question.” Eliza Hartly said playfully.

“Of course I know it is you Eliza.” Cassius said. “Now what do I win for this?”

A passionate kiss was the reply Eliza Hartly gave to the boy. After what seemed to be a blissful eternity, the duo broke their kiss and observed the statues.

“You know, this place gives me the creeps.” Eliza said shivering. “All those stone eyes staring at you, like they are judging you.”

“They are judging you.” Cassius confirmed. “Each ancestor judges us, wishing us to become greater than the previous generation.”

“Still. It seems like they want me gone.” Eliza stated while observing the stone face of Ivell. “That I am an intruder that doesn’t deserve to be here.”

“You do deserve to be here.” Cassius assured her. “The circumstances may not be ideal but in the end, I want you here.”

“I don’t think your brother or sister would like that.” Eliza countered. “They seem particularly hostile to the idea.”

“My sister would probably come around. After all she cares about my happiness.” Cassius grimly sighed. “My brother on the other hand. Well, he would want you out as fast as possible.”

“If your father dies, your brother would try to take the seat of Lord Protector.” Eliza cautioned. “If that happens then I would have to go.”

“I won’t let that happen.” Cassius firmly said. “Even if he is my brother, you and I belong together.”

“Even if you have fight?” Eliza questioned.

“Even if I have to fight.” Cassius assured.

“Even if it would tear your family apart?” Eliza asked.

Cassius sat in silence before confirming. “Yes but I hope he would stand down and reconsider his stance.”

The two embraced hoping that the future would be full of hope and free of conflict.

“Would you not reconsider?” Taven asked his brother. “If doesn’t have to end like this.”

“Oh yes it does.” Ivell K’al Vernaris proclaimed. “I am disappointed. You betray your family for a girl.”

“I love her.” Taven stated. “More than anything in this world.... Just surrender and this conflict could end peacefully.”

“No.” was the only reply Ivell had for his brother.

“Look.” Taven said exasperated. “This endless war to control the island have destroyed nearly everything. Peace can occur if you just throw down your arms and order your army to return home.”

“Peace can happen when Queen Selene surrenders herself and suffer a death as painful as our father’s!” Ivell angrily said. “Only when her blood is offered to the earth would I consider laying down my arms.”

“Please. For the love you have for me as your brother.” Taven plead. “End this conflict. Queen Selene have promised me that you will be given fair treatment.”

“You are not my brother.” Ivell said harshly. “You never have been.”

The two brothers sat on their horses in silence as they realize what is going to happen in the next few minutes.

“Then so be it.” Taven sadly said. “I hope you survive the battle.”

“Go and die as you lived.” Ivell stated. “A traitor to your own kind. Hurry along now to your mistress. Her boot needs licking.”

Taven shook his head and motioned for his horse to return back to the Queen’s forces as Ivell stare at his retreating form. When his older brother was halfway to Selene’s lines, Ivell kicked his horse and rushed to his own forces.

Queen Selene watched as her daughter’s lover rode back to her lines with seemed to be a somber look.

“There would be no surrender.” Taven quickly said. “Ivell would fight to the death.”

“A shame.” Queen Selene nonchalantly said. “I hoped he would not be as mad as your father.”

“He is blinded by hatred.” Taven replied. “All I ask if possible that he be given a quick death in battle. If he surrenders then please do not kill him.”

Queen Selene nodded and was about to speak before her daughter arrived in armor.

“Ah daughter, you finally joined us.” Queen Selene smiled.

“Of course mother! Why would I not join such a momentous occasion?!” Princess Merope exclaimed before kissing Taven on the cheek. “I can’t just let my mother and future husband go off to war alone.”

Queen Selene laughed. “Alone? I suppose we would be if you didn’t count the army at our backs.”

“Is this really a time for jokes.” Taven said. “Let us finish this quickly. I have no desire to drag this out longer than necessary.”

“All in due time. All in due time.” Queen Selene told him before turning to her daughter. “Stay behind Sir Anders, he would protect you with his life.”

The young girl nodded at her mother’s request after all the queen is the one with battle experience.

“You too Taven.” Queen Selene said as an afterthought. “If I fall in battle, at least you youngsters will survive.”

“If you fall, we will all die.” Taven stated coldly. “Ivell will not hesitate to put any of us into the ground.”

“He is your brother.” Princess Merope said. “I would thought that he would at least spare your life.”

“Not anymore.” Taven sadly shook his head. “Not after I declared my love for you.”

Princess Merope looked down in guilt but her mother quickly forced her head back up.

“Never look down when it is not your fault.” Queen Selene firmly assured. “You are the granddaughter of King Aznable. Act like it.”

With those words, Queen Selene drew her sword and motioned towards the Vernaris lines. Her vast army the largest the island has ever seen began marching towards their foe, the army they have fought against for years. Victory was theirs, there was no question about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Well, you got us into a predicament.” Hartly deadpanned. “Oh this is so winnable you said. I should have stayed home.”

“Then you should have but you shouldn’t worry. We can win this.” Ivell responded to his friend as Queen Selene’s army began marching towards them. “Even if they outnumber us ten to one.”

“Now those odds are not favorable.” Hartly jokingly said. “What are we going to do? Ask them politely to die?”

Ivell laughed loudly. “Why not? It will even the playing field.”

Hartly snorted as his friend’s jest before putting on his stag helmet. “It begins. I got to head to my men if we are going to commit to the plan.”

The young man placed a hand on his blood brother’s shoulder to reassure him as he started to leave. Ivell could only stand in silence as his blood began flowing throughout his body to the thumping of his heart. As the Queen’s men made it halfway to the forest lines, Ivell donned his boar pelt. This was going to be a great fight.

“AXE TIME! SWORD TIME! SLAUGHTER!” Ivell chanted as he lifted his axe to the sky.

“AXE TIME! SWORD TIME! SLAUGHTER!” the Vernaris army chanted. “AXE TIME! SWORD TIME! SLAUGHTER!”

The considerably small army slam their weapons against their shields, provoking the large army to attack them. The army of the forest howled and roared as their hated enemy approached even closer only to run and disappear into the trees. Ivell K’al Vernaris was the last to leave only laughing as the first man of Queen Selene’s army entered the forest.

It seemed like an odd choice until the majority of Selene’s army began moving through the forest in their tight formations, only to be cut off from each other as tall and sturdy trees began to collapse. Some of which crushed those in their path causing the fallen to scream.

The Vernaris army charged into the confused Queen men, screaming loudly filled with bloodlust and unstoppable rage. Axes clashed against shields just as spears attempted to pierce the bodies of those who aggressively attacked their fellows.

Screams perforated through the air as everyone seeked to survive the chaos of combat. Limbs separated from the bodies of their owners. Cowards fleeing into the forest or out of it as their friends were cut down. Blood was spilled everywhere as far as the eye can see.

Taven cut down one of his brother’s warriors, fighting back-to-back with his lover and her mother. He was getting exhausted from the constant fighting, his arms aching from the exhaustion, his breathing getting heavier. Princess Merope was in the same condition along with Sir Anders who suffered some wounds.

“Where is the rest of the army?!” Taven shouted.

“Probably in the same situation as us!” Sir Anders answered, parrying a soldier that got too ambitious. “That or they got slaughtered!”

“I hope not!” Princess Merope exclaimed. “I rather not die in a forest!”

“Fear not Princess! I am sure that we will carry the day. After all we-” Sir Anders stated before an axe embedded itself in his face.

Taven stared in shock as Queen Selene’s greatest warrior fell and sought the warrior that killed the man. He got his answer when he looked up to the rocks and saw his brother standing with his boar pelt.

Ivell was about to throw another axe but a loud horn sounded through the air, prompting him to retreat along with the rest of the Vernaris army.

“Where are they all going?” Princess Merope asked.

“I have no idea.” Taven replied wiping the sweat on his forehead. “Maybe they suffered too many losses?”

“Regardless, we have to hunt him down.” Queen Selene stated. “I swore to end this war on this day. And I intend to fulfill that promise.”

“I think we should fall back.” Taven suggested. “We don’t know how many people we lost in this cursed forest.”

“No we continue marching.” Queen Selene firmly said ending the discussion. She motioned for her horn blower to rally the remnants of her army to her location.

Taven and his lover took the opportunity to rest along with any of the surviving soldiers. Slowly more and more soldiers rallied to their queen, many wounded in the resulting battle that seemed to end in stalemate more than actual victory or defeat. However many of the soldiers did not care if they won but if there was water or food as the battle lasted hours. Taven only wished that this day would end with him still alive.

Battle quickly erupted again after a short while as arrows and axes fell upon the resting soldiers of Queen Selene. Her soldiers quickly rushed to take defensive positions as Ivell’s warriors descended upon them from the rocks. Ivell stood above observing the conflict, not moving a muscle as his forces was getting slowly dwindled in their attack. He raised his hands and motioned for his people to beat a quick retreat. Few of the queen’s soldiers died.

“IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!” Princess Merope shouted to the young man as the Vernaris forces . “CHILDREN FIGHT BETTER!”

Ivell laughed loudly for the next two minutes. “No. This is just beginning.”

“Your army is crushed Ivell. They are broken and I don’t think you got enough warriors to fight us.” Taven told his brother. “Surrender. The queen has promised you fair treatment. Remember?”

“And I promised a painful death.” Ivell replied. “Nice of you all to gather in one spot.”

“Wh-what?” Taven said confused as Ivell turned away to the sounds of horns.

Howling and roaring akin to that of bears and wolves sounded the air causing Taven’s blood to become still with fear. He knew what those sounds meant.

“Capture the queen alive.” Hartly told his band of warriors. “Our esteemed leader want her mostly unharmed.”

His men gave grunts of acknowledgement before charging into the fray, screaming as loud as possible in uncomparable rage.

“BERSERKERS!” Taven shouted as he saw the wolf, bear, and boar pelt clad individuals rushed toward their lines. At that moment, he realized that the day was lost along with his life.

Queen Selene woke up in chains with Ivell staring right in her face. She took some time to observe the young man. He like his father was pale and had the same raven hair with a streaks of white. Eyes were pale gray as well, creating an eerie feeling of being captured by someone she killed.

“Where is my daughter?” Selene finally questioned her captor.

“Dead and lying in the cold iron ground just like my brother.” Ivell coldly answered.

“Not just a madman but a kinslayer as well.” Queen Selene chuckled. “How low can you go, son of Ver Naris.”

“Laugh all you want.” Ivell D’al Vernaris said. “It is time for your death.”

“I spit upon you Ivell. Just do it quickly.” Queen Selene said defiantly.

“Quickly? No.” Ivell laughed. “My father was killed by being torn apart by horses. You deserve an even more painful death.”

Ivell pulled out a knife with a small hook on the end. “You see this blade. Small but sharp. Sharp enough to cut through the first layer of skin and peel.”

Queen Selene suddenly seized with fear. Being flayed was the last thing on her mind of executions. However she can’t allow the young man to have the satisfaction of seeing her in fear.

As she was carried to the execution spot, she noticed something. Princess Merope and Taven were chained to a rock clearly alive but gagged, preventing them from screaming.

“Y-you said they died.” Queen Selene said. “That they were left to rot.”

“I lied.” Ivell shrugged. “I didn’t see my father die but your daughter would have the chance to do so.”

“You are a monster.” Queen Selene spit in Ivell’s face who clearly was amused.

“I am descended from one.” Ivell smiled cruelly. His surviving warriors gathered around to see the death of their master’s greatest enemy. Among them was the progenitors of the new families such as the Hartlys, Thanes, Solis, and Heartsbane. Each one of them was banging their shields as Ivell began to skin the formidable queen.

After an eternity and long hours of screaming, Queen Selene’s heart gave out before Ivell could skin her face but he did so anyway. He took her skin and gave it to one of his warriors before approaching his brother and his brother’s lover.

“Don’t worry brother.” Ivell calmly said, wiping his knife. “I will take care of her skin. It will adorn my banner as I approach the site of our father’s execution.”

Taven screamed in anger but the sound was muffled by the gag in his mouth. He screamed louder as Ivell bent down to Merope.

“Don’t fear. You and your......lover would join her mother.” Ivell said while caressing Merope’s face. “There is enough room on my banner for decoration.”

All that could be heard now was Ivell laughing cruelly.

Archived