Black Chicken Studios Forums

Quick Overview of Basic Mechanics (FAQ)

Metis

In terms of Befriend, I prefer the Garden Gallery for my first and second friend - +2 to the roll isn't enough to guarantee success (though neither is a flat 10% chance to succeed, naturally), but if not enough to tip the odds it's enough to make it possible. More early friends just plain need the CoS to proc, though. In any other situation the Great Hall is just RP flavour, since it only boosts Befriend specifically rather than all Social Actions, which includes numbers like Calculate the Geometry of Friendship, Flirt and Cheer. Very useful for getting a small boost to those.

As for Steam, no. Don't have a Steam account, have no desire to get one, and if people want to read it it's right here.

L'update. I have to say though, my knowledge of how detention mechanics work is spotty, and that's frankly still a compliment. I mean I'm quite sure you don't need a full 12 or so reprimands in one month's time to be summoned before the Praetexta Court, but...

Great work Metis. I would however note that I generally fail the interims exams completely and have never noticed a reprimand. I do each study skill one by one to get the +1 stat bonus / other cookie, rather than doing them all at the same time so I generally go into interims with 3-4 of my study classes at zero.

With as many adventures and events that exist "common" is a relative term, but that aside I do indeed believe that Observation is one of the more common skills that comes up. Consequently it's also actually one of the easiest skills to unlock - failing the first Observation roll you come across will do it - but drawing an RE that allows you to do that is entirely luck of the draw. Besides that it's a TM 2.00 skill, so early ranks are nice. Especially because it features heavily into Oan's tutorial adventure and said adventure raises Intelligence at the end.

Amazing write-up Metis. I've played this game quite a few times, and I still learned a lot from this. I was considering doing a new playthrough, and at the same time maybe writing up a quick guide for the first couple in-game months. That way the steam page will have something to reference. I hope you don't mind me citing your post every now and again. It saves me the trouble of having to double-check if I've missed anything. Of course I'd be posting the link to it too so other people can see it for themselves.

I would also mention that increases of attributes over 5 (in some cases 6) drastic reduce the effect of the single attribute increase for year 1 because the skills actual end with 11 for year 1 (Sure you could get past this but without gain). Also the the 2 increase in the maximum possible roll per attribute level get prozentual smaller and smaller the higher the attribute is already.

Amazing write-up Metis. I've played this game quite a few times, and I still learned a lot from this. I was considering doing a new playthrough, and at the same time maybe writing up a quick guide for the first couple in-game months. That way the steam page will have something to reference. I hope you don't mind me citing your post every now and again. It saves me the trouble of having to double-check if I've missed anything. Of course I'd be posting the link to it too so other people can see it for themselves.

No problem, although links here would probably be better in case I end up editing something. Which does happen from time to time.

I would also mention that increases of attributes over 5 (in some cases 6) drastic reduce the effect of the single attribute increase for year 1 because the skills actual end with 11 for year 1 (Sure you could get past this but without gain). Also the the 2 increase in the maximum possible roll per attribute level get prozentual smaller and smaller the higher the attribute is already.

I'm honestly not sure at what point attributes cap in terms of shaving off skill steps, in part because I can't divine the actual formula for it. Nevertheless, I'll mention the diminishing returns.

Question... this,

"Second, you get the option to sacrifice your friend. You can only do it once per friend, and doing so will reduce your relationship by 1 (not permanently, mind),"

Umm, "once per friend per adventure" or truly "once per friend per game"

In the mod table, there is a separate "sacrifice" text, which is rarely (if ever?) filled out. That text should show up instead of the success text. Which usually means it's blank... In either case, the reward and the success continuation are applied.

tbh, if the sacrifice is empty, the success text should just show up by default.

It currently prints a generic "you have no idea but thankfully [sacrifice name] steps forwards and solves the problem!" bit of text if the game has no actual sacrifice text defined, but yeah, all things considered just sticking to the success text would be best. Your student didn't actually do any of it, sure, but what's Academagia for if not using your imagination to fill in the parts that the game fails to deliver on?

Jeff;

That text is from an earlier version, where we thought we would attempt unique Sacrifice text...but it became too difficult with the number of Students and so was dropped, alas!

Success Text makes little sense if one of your Clique has been Sacrificed, thus the current default text. Not an ideal solution by any means, but less dissonant, perhaps?

The adventure stories are already dissonant by nature since they're supposed to be your Cliques going on adventures, not just the PC. Personally I'd have preferred mentally correcting the success text of Ana's final Music exit when I sacrificed her to pass it over the generic "Ana stepped forward and solved the problem!" message. Admittedly that's probably one of the situations where it doesn't make too much difference, since the exit description pretty clearly explains what'll happen if you succeed, but that's hardly the case everywhere.