Black Chicken Studios Forums

Captain's Association, Round 39: Vote by Sunday, 3/26, Afternoon, PST

Legate of Mineta

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A vote for lucky Henley! B3

"When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941, Henley was moored in East Loch with battle stations manned, a green sailor having sounded General Quarters instead of Quarters for Muster. This fortunate mistake gave Henley under the command of Lieutenant Francis Edward Fleck, Jr., the opportunity to fire the first destroyer shots as the initial wave of enemy planes swooped in."

Serendipity
A mistake strikes gold
I love it!
And all under the command of a random lieutenant. The captain and exec were both ashore.

"A bomb exploded 150 yards off her port bow as she slipped her chain from the buoy, and, as she cleared, she received a signal that a submarine was in the harbor. Henley maneuvered through the smoke, fire, and confusion and sped out of the channel. Her gunners shot down one dive bomber with her .50 cal. guns and shared credit for another. Conned by Fleck—both her commanding officer and executive officer were ashore when the attack began—Henley dropped depth charges on a sonar contact, possibly a midget submarine, outside the harbor, and continued to blaze away at the enemy with her guns."

863c7b71364673106a4ba3892f3ee3cdee2c8055

Since we're on the matter of sandwiches, while we're waiting for Henley's interview, i suggest we make a

sandwich show-and-tell here on this thread.

If a certain backer/forumer's country has a regional meal with the sandwich format- two slices of bread with filling between them, be it meat, fish or greens as long as it makes cultural sense - that they enjoy, place a picture of it (in spoilers, if possible) while showcasing its strengths and history/controversies. I advise to show only one variant, as others may come from the same country and would use said alternatives to join the drooling discussion.

If Mineta allows it, i'll present my entry this afternoon ;-)

Right. Then i'll start with one of my country's favorite sandwich...

...the Francesinha!

francesinha%201.1.jpgfrancesinha_completa.jpg

The Francesinha was born around 1960 (so yeah, Henley will have to wait a whopping 20 years to taste this one), when a returned emigrantfrom France wanted to bring the croque-monsieur to Portugal. Having at first an upper layer of cheese with fillings of cured or grilled pork meats, it gained popularity in its home town when its special sauce was invented. While its main ingredients were tomato and portuguese beer, each home had its secret variant, from smooth and salty to thick and "oh-my-god" spicy. Nowadays it's served with various ingredients, including chicken instead of pork and a grilled egg on top, resting upon a sea of chips/french fries. However, flavour balance and a unique, spot-on sauce are the key parts that allowed several restaurants to gain regional popularity (some even worldwide) by generations who grew alongside this sandwich.

It may have the disadvantage of being too big and saucy to grab, but the cultural love that fostered it made it a worthwhile experience.

HNI_0035_zpsr3znrjub.jpg

Nothing too fancy, just plain Cheese and Chorizo. I have no idea how typical it is or anything but it's what I'm having today, so I thought I might as well share it(well, a picture, that is) since I was about to post anyway.

Strong points... I guess the strong point is it's super easy to make so you can eat as much as you want.

Another matter is, can someone (Legate or the like) confirm what name I should be using to vote for Libertad/Galicia? Since I'm planning to do so every week(no matter how much of a lost cause it might be), it'd be better to use the right one.

Chronologically, I know it'd be Galicia, as that was the name given to her after the civil war ended, but... knowing why that name was chosen (Galicia being the birthplace of Franco) I don't feel like using it unless I have to.

an-ode-to-the-chip-butty_1.jpg

Chip butty. Just how it looks. French fries/chips between buttered bread with whatever you like on it, be it ketchup, salt and vinegar, or whatever. It makes for a nice meal. You can also put an egg on top for breakfast.

an-ode-to-the-chip-butty_1.jpg

Chip butty. Just how it looks. French fries/chips between buttered bread with whatever you like on it, be it ketchup, salt and vinegar, or whatever. It makes for a nice meal. You can also put an egg on top for breakfast.

You english guys come up with some weird stuff man, I'll stick with my fish chowder/lobster/fishcakes/I never realised how many ways I know how to prepare seafood until just now.

Archived