Black Chicken Studios Forums

Mod Tools

mhv3

It really does depend on computer speed, too. Honestly, on a gaming computer I made almost four years ago, my publishing takes, eh, maybe 8 hours? Not the sixteen hour I've heard. That's easily done- just leave it going over night or during school/work. If I decided to go with doing official content, it would be even faster. Four years isn't that recent, as far as processor speed goes.

I actually found the Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2) toolsets much more irritating, long-loading, and cumbersome, and they were basically stripped to be used by the players rather then the game-makers. It could definitely be worse.

• 1 month later...

Tried that. Also disabled security software and run as administrator. No help. Works fine in a virtual machine running XP in the vmware player. Won't even start in XPmode though. go figure :)) Maybe you just don't get administrator rights in windows 7, they just throw up all the warning popups to make you feel important.

Anyway, I've got a workaround. Thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried that. Also disabled security software and run as administrator. No help. Works fine in a virtual machine running XP in the vmware player. Won't even start in XPmode though. go figure :)) Maybe you just don't get administrator rights in windows 7, they just throw up all the warning popups to make you feel important.

Anyway, I've got a workaround. Thanks!

Could you tell me what this magical workaround is? I've been working on the same mod for over three months and now I can't click on main text at all and I'm going insane. Sometimes it randomly happened while I had mod tools open but normally I just had to wait it out but now its been over a week and I still can't write anything under main text.

I apologize for asking for something that might be redundant, but could I possibly get a sum-up of the state of the mod tools right now? I'm interested in seeing what I can and can't do to the game, but with all the download links so old and promises of updates coming I find myself unsure of what I can and can't do to just the tools.

Are the links in the first few posts of this thread still relevant? If not, which ones are?

What will we have to watch out for if we decide to work with the current tools? Or, more accurately, how likely are we to do something that will not be compatible and cause issues during the update?

Is there a ballpark timeline for the update's release? 2 weeks? 2 months?

Coolguy;

With the Tools and the ModBase, you can create Mods for any version of the game, and view the game's information up to about DLC 10, if I recall correctly.

I don't believe that the ModBase links are valid any longer, and we probably won't update them until we release the next ModBase, which covers up to DLC 15 (and which will be released concurrently with DLC 15.)

New entries which you add to your game via a Mod will be unaffected by future updates. Changed entries may or may not be affected, based on your load order, however.

We hesitate to give a ballpark estimate on the release of the next ModBase, but it will coincide with DLC 15, which itself will come a few weeks after the release of our 'Special Project'. Soon™, is all I can say about that. ;)

Mikka;

I'll ask again, but I think the copy of the ModBase they would generate the files from is already semi-updated to 15, which is why they hesitate to release it. ;(

• 2 months later...

If I want to start working on my stripmod, is it possible for me to acquire the necessary files? Since I will be removing content and will not be intending this to be compatible with the present DLC, it is not strictly necessary that I have the most up to date version of the modbase. Pretty sure I need something though.

89157Z;

You should only need the Tools and the AMO. The ModBase is only of interest to you if you want to use DLC material.

If you are aiming for a total conversion, you do not need need an AMO- you can just create a new one to satisfy your needs via the Tools.

The AMO linked by Lezard should work, right? In that case, this will work fine for me, and thank you for the prompt response. The Stripmod does need the AMO, but not the ModBase; some other project ideas I have in mind may not need even that.

In any case, with this, I can get to work! <3 I hope to have results to report soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a small question..I've made a few backgrounds but to my consternation and bafflement, you can only pick one of them. The others go grey once I choose. Why is that? Should I have selected something else ..somewhere around the options? I figured I'd better ask instead of messing about with it and then publishing it to check since it takes so very long.

• 1 month later...