Black Chicken Studios Forums

Why does Godina have music classes, Durand botany and Vernin arithmetic?

LaughingHero

Why does Godina have music classes as a warmage college?

Why does Durand, who are about tradition and responsibility, have botany?

Why does Vernin have arithmancy?

I have my ideas about the last one, and a bit about Godina (however that is stretching it rather), but I'm curious to hear what are the developers reasons for putting these classes as the college's mandatory subjects.

LH;

Godina has music because of it's legendary founder, who himself was a singer and musician of some renown.

Durand has botany for a number of historical reasons, but perhaps highest is the responsibility required to grow and care for a living thing.

Vernin has arithmetic because of its uses in Enchantment, especially lengthening the duration of magic.

Ohhh we got a new reason for botany and music as class skill :D

Last time I asked a similar question I got the info that Durand got Botany because they need to make potions to counter certain magic. But at the end of the day this idea was conflicting with the idea that brew is a Vernin class skill.

Beyond the historical reasons, high levels of Incantation require high levels of finesse to pull off, and it's believed that music classes prepare the Godina students for that - fine finger motions manipulating instruments, and all. It'd work a lot better if Music actually taught any actual instrument skills, but, eh, call that a wash.

There's actually a post in the Q&A topic somewhere that lists all the secondary college classes and why they're with the college they are, IIRC. Some are less...stretched than others.

LH;

Godina has music because of it's legendary founder, who himself was a singer and musician of some renown.

Durand has botany for a number of historical reasons, but perhaps highest is the responsibility required to grow and care for a living thing.

Vernin has arithmetic because of its uses in Enchantment, especially lengthening the duration of magic.

Thanks! Is it explained ingame how does Enchantment use arithmetic? Personally I thought it might've been used for the construction of items that are going to be enchanted, eg. when making various items out of metal and other stuff, like real world engineering. :D

Ohhh we got a new reason for botany and music as class skill :D

Last time I asked a similar question I got the info that Durand got Botany because they need to make potions to counter certain magic. But at the end of the day this idea was conflicting with the idea that brew is a Vernin class skill.

Oh cool, do you have an idea where it is? I can always search for it later on.

Beyond the historical reasons, high levels of Incantation require high levels of finesse to pull off, and it's believed that music classes prepare the Godina students for that - fine finger motions manipulating instruments, and all. It'd work a lot better if Music actually taught any actual instrument skills, but, eh, call that a wash.

There's actually a post in the Q&A topic somewhere that lists all the secondary college classes and why they're with the college they are, IIRC. Some are less...stretched than others.

Oh cool, I'll try looking for it then. Personally I thought they might use the sense of rhythm they learn while learning to sing and play music, which can help them with focus, reactions and the feeling of battle.

• 3 months later...

Archived