Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update on Vista Save Game Corruption Issue

Legate of Mineta

Blaze;

Thanks for the offer! The issue is related to a certain component of .NET, although we still cannot understand why it behaves differently in Vista versus XP and 7. Unfortunately, the best workaround for the moment is to save often, so that you lose as little progress as possible.

We are still actively investigating this, so I hope that we will discover the reason.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to play my saved game tonight and the last save I used was just...missing. I checked the saved game folder and I can see it there, but the game doesn't show it as an option to load. Is this what the Vista save game corruption thing does? Is it safe to assume this means my save is corrupt and lost forever?

Kipper;

Very unfortunately, that is correct. What happens with the Vista save issue is that the save file is essentially cleared (if you look at the file size, you can see it is very small as compared to a healthy save.) We discovered where the issue lies (in a certain .NET component), but we haven't determined how to correct it, or why it only affects Vista users. :(

It has long been my habit with computer games to always have three separate save files for a game. I label them something like; A, B, & C. Once I have saved C, the next save will overwrite A, and then the next will overwrite B, etc.. This way if one is corrupted, I always have the other two.

With this issue, I have simply learned to save anytime a day has been particularly noteworthy, typically every few days. As I do the save, I watch the save file listing, waiting to see it complete. As I watch (saving file B for instance) I say in my mind, "B on top...". I am waiting to see B on top of the listing. If the save worked, it will be visible sitting on top of the listing. If the save did 'not' work, the save (B in this case) will 'not' be sitting on top. In fact the save will have actually disappeared from the listing. Whereupon I exit the game and reload using the previous save which is still there, and continue playing and saving as before.

It might not be related, but when attempting to use the "Cheat Mod" to get extra points to spend (I didn't feel like playing the entire year to get back to where I was before the save was corrupted for the umpteenth time.), I noticed that I was missing a few of the abilities/actions that I should have had AND I was unable to save on the first day. I don't think it's an issue with the mod itself, I've used it a few times, but save corruption happened regardless of whether I used it or not.

So could the issue be caused by having too many actions/abilities or maybe corrupted ability info?

Blaze;

It doesn't seem to be too many actions/abilities, but corruption (or anything required trash collection) does appear to be the heart of the issue. We've also linked it to Abilities which change the Training Modifier. It's really mysterious as to why it only affects Vista. :(

Thanks for the information, though!

• 1 month later...

Then i guess i'll just have to start a new game and avoid useing those kind of abilities, i just don't want to start games and everytime not be able to finish it because of this stupid problem, Well i'm sure you have all tried you best to fix it so i'll just have to cross my fingers and hope you find a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to program the modifications to training required to advance in a way that does not impact the .NET system so VISTA users can enjoy the game, too? Giving up the use of spells and abilities which modify training would seem to me not using very powerful and important parts of the game.

I love this game. After finish playing two characters and moving on to my third, i JUST ran into this bug as well yesterday. :wacko: Then I closed and restarted the game (building a new character) and i managed to save once right after the character creation. when i tried to save again (as backup) after the first week, it wouldn't save! Do you think it would be possible to not close the game, but finish the entire year, and see if it saves as autosave? has anyone done that?

Alexis;

Others have tried it- and sometimes it works, but sometimes it does not. It's a frustrating gamble. The good news is that we have a new Patch coming out today which *might* improve the issue for Vista users. It doesn't look like it fully corrects it, but it may lower the odds of getting into that state.

Archived