Black Chicken Studios Forums

Combat for dummies (Myself included)

Adrian

Fiddleton's First fight has been corrected by the Legate and can easily be found here.

It contains a few mistakes still (to add a bit of flair ;) ) but due to his great fortune of not getting any CLAW rolls, it might not serve as a good tutorial, so instead I present you with his second heroic battle:

What I am doing is following the Combat Sequence as stated in the Rules.

1)

Fiddleton's SKILL is a 1d10+10, and his DEFENSE is 1d10+20, this yielded 12 and 29 respectively. (For those new to the term 1d10 or just d10 it stands for '1 dice roll of a 10 sided dice' - had it been d6 it would be 1 dice roll of a 6 sided dice)

My opponent for this is Flannel the Strunk Guard who has a 17 SKILL and 33 DEFENSE, his special ability is Halberd Smash (doing 6 damage but gives 2 initiative for 3 rounds)

Sadly, due to earlier fights, Fiddleton is not as formidable an opponent as he might have wished.

He is scraped, his pants are even more torn and what was a beer stain is now slightly red from an earlier scuffle.

Leaving him with 20 Defense in total.

2)

MY SKILL - OPPONENT's SKILL = INITIATIVE

=> My initiative is 12-17 = -5

So far so good. Now the real combat begins.

3)

Look at the RESULTS TABLE, or in the package I got; COMBAT TABLE, in the files. Then proceed to find the CURRENT INITIATIVE on the top of the chart.

That is in our case -5, as we just calculated. The term CURRENT is used as it may change over the cause of battle. As we look at the table we see that we each lose defense, 2 for the enemy and 4 for Fiddleton

Fiddleton and Flannel the Strunk Guard charge each other with great zeal, and Strunk comes out ahead!

My Defense is then 16 (20-4) and huge Flannel has a massive 31 (33-2). Neither of us has reached 0 so battle hasn't ended.

4)

Roll a 1d10 and cross reference this number with your initiative this shows what action you may take.

Fiddleton rolls a 3 and we look at the table. We see that it is a CLAW attack and maneuver!

5)

Choose the action you wish to take, noting that each action is modified by weapons and armor. So, ITEM REFERENCE GO!

We look at the ITEM Reference and find the weapon Fiddleton uses. He uses his fists, like a real (poor) dwarf would. In his case meaning Thumper (left) and Thurvik (right). Fiddleton cannot use claw attacks as only enemies use those, so he uses maneuver.

Looking at maneuver we see he can choose between +2 Initiative and +1 damage.

Being the kind of dwarf he is he chooses initiative with Thumper!

Fiddleton disengages for a second, tumbling around like a dwarf gone without liqueur for a month!

6)

We should note if there was a CLAW attack - which there was. Which now comes into play.

While Fiddleton dances around, his left fist flailing left right and... well.. mainly left... Fannel the huge beast that he is raises his halberd and stabs Fiddleton! Arrgh! The <censored>!!

Fiddleton takes 6 damage. The initiative goes up due to the nature of the attack though, as stated in the story. +2 initiative for 3 rounds.

Fiddleton his bleeding, but the heavy weapon in the small confines of a dwarfen home causes the strunk problems!

7)

Update your character sheet! If either have hit 0 in defense then combat is over

My Defense is 10 (16-6) and Flannel has 31 still. Neither is in the red so combat continues.

8)

I can change my weapon now! But I rather like my hands so I'll keep them!

9)

If nothing else is stated combat continues! Initiative is carried over.

Fiddleton is a smart dwarf though, if he says so himself, and he does... often, and can see he is in trouble! Huuuge trouble! Like, strunk huge!

Boons can be used in combat or in the story and -can- make a real difference (if the gods are with you!) Fiddleton has two boons saved up, 1 d10 and 1 d6.

Fiddleton is desperate and uses the d10. He gets a 7! We look at the BOON table, it gives 1d6 damage AND 1d6 defense. Fiddleton may stand a chance!

We roll for damage and defense; We get a 3 and 6!

In his weakened, confused and slightly temperamental state Fiddleton does not notice that his body feels more whole or that he kicks the strunk over the shin dragging a high-pitched wail from the looming figure. Maybe it was the gods, maybe innate abilities or maybe someone had dropped a healing potion on the floor and Fiddleton stepped over it. We may never know how he was healed!

ROUND 2

Current Initiative: -1 ( -5 from the beginning +2 from his maneuvering +2 for 3 turns, from the halberd )

Current Defense 16 and 28

3)

We look at the combat table again, looking up our initiative. -1 gives -3 defense to each of us!

Fiddleton and Flannel goes into the fray again, biting, clawing, kicking and burping! (Admittedly it was Fiddleton who was burping, but it was mainly due to the punch in his gut!)

Current defense 13 and 25

4, 5 & 6)

Fiddleton rolls a d10 and gets a two, we look on the Combat reference table and see that it is a question of defense or maneuver. It is worth looking at the items again, do Fiddleton choose +1 damage or +2 Initiative? Initiative, he likes being a dwarf with a quick punch and a quicker retreat (So long as no one sees him fleeing!)

There was no CLAW attack, so Flannel doesn't get a extra attack this round.

7, 8 & 9)

Defense: 13 and 25 still.

ROUND 3

3)

Initiative: 1

At 1 Initiative the damage taken is 4 and 2 respectively. There is a bit of a rumble, and Fiddleton does better than before!

Defense 11 and 21.

4,5 & 6)

Flintbreaker's 1d10 gives 6. Attack or Defense.

WHAM Fiddleton gives the big brute one with his right hook!

We look at the item screen and see our choice of +1 initiative or 2 damage, Fiddleton chose already though and it will be 2 damage.

No Claw attack so Flannel will have to be content with the damage he dealt in the beginning of the round.

7, 8 & 9)

Defence 11 and 19 and no one is in the read yet. Carry on!

Round 4

3)

The initiative is still 1, but from next turn it will lose the +2 from the halberd. Remember that it only lasted 3 turns! Like the previous round start, 4 damage to Flannel and 2 damage to our hero.

The battle continues and Fiddleton is still giving it his all!

Defense: 9 and 15

4,5 & 6)

Fiddleton rolls another d10 and gets 3, defense or maneuver. We should remember by now that it is a question of 1 damage or 2 initiative, but if we don't we can look in the ITEM reference.

Fiddleton brings up his left hook and dodges around the room like a crazy person. Fannel is notably confused, but he has also regained some of the fatigue from his earlier strike with the halberd! Oh oh!

No CLAW this round either, and Fiddleton is safe a while longer.

7, 8 & 9)

Defence 9 and 15 still. Moving on!

Round 5

3)

Another round another brawl. The initiative is still 1, last round we added 2 from Fiddleton's action but lost 2 due to the halberd's effect fading. So, 4 damage and 2 damage respectively.

Fiddleton 7 Flannel 11. Its close!

4,5 & 6)

Another d10 roll and Fiddleton scores a 9. We look and see it is ANY. We can pick whatever we will. A look at the ITEMs will show that we can PREVENT (2) and ACTION, in addition to the actions previously mentioned.

The actual nature of these effects can be found in Rules under Equipment Effects.

Prevent (2), prevents the enemy from having CLAW attacks for 2 rounds. ACTION simply lets you pick any action you wish - which is what we have already due to our fortuitous roll.

So, with this, time to take advantage of our knowledge. Each round (unless something happens) Fiddleton will take 2 damage, and Flannel will take 4. As the combat is going we will end in 3 rounds, Fiddleton surviving with 1 (ONE!!) defense. If we are unfortunate we can get a claw attack though. Prevent would stop CLAW for almost half the remaining time. 2 Damage will not even cut the time down to 2 rounds (sure, we will likely get the chance to do more damage... but can we risk it?!)

Fiddleton manages to kick the halberd away from the strunk in an uncharacteristic dexterous feat!

Fiddleton agrees, we pick Prevent for two rounds!

7, 8 & 9)

We could pick an action, like using a potion of healing, or indeed a healing kit. (Fiddleton is a sensible dwarf and doesn't waste coin on healing potions if he can settle for a healing kit and a beer)

And indeed he does have a healing kit! It would save him from bleeding if that halberd ever found it's way back into the strunk's hands!

Continueing his fantastic streak, Fiddleton the burly (some might call it fat) dwarf keeps the strunk from reclaiming his halberd while bandaging his wounds! In the ITEM reference we see that a healing kit heals for 8 points.

We mark the healing kit as used and add the defense.

Fiddleton 15 (7+8) Flannel 11! Fiddleton is back in the lead.

Round 6

3)

Another round and other 4 and 2 points of damage.

13 and 9

4, 5 & 6)

Roll! Roll! We get a 9 again! Weee we prevent again, and victory is assured.

Fiddleton twirls, dances and dodges in a manner unseen from dwarfs in many a year. (Primarily because it looks... *shudder*) Regardless Fiddleton manages to kick the halberd once again just as Flannel thought he was about to get it. This time it sails out the door!

Prevent (2) again.

7, 8 & 9)

We are still at 13 and 9 defense, Fiddleton well ahead.

Round... 7?

3)

BAM! SLAM! PEW PAM!

With 1 initiative we get 2 and 4 defense reduction.

11 and 5 defense remains.

4, 5 and 6)

Roll roll roll your boat. !1d10 yields me a... 1. Attack or maneuver. We will attack. The 2 initiative will also kill him next round but.. meh. Fiddleton is just itching to give him another pounding!

Pew glash pfhlaarm!

1 damage.

7, 8 & 9)

11 and 4 defense remains.

Round 8)

3)

Once again, 2 and 4 damage is done in the brawl but this time... THIS TIME the defense has been reduced to 0 for one of the characters and combat ends.

Fiddleton is victorious and our burly (fat) and surprisingly dexterous dwarf continue his adventure!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your now the 3th having problems with the combat system so I think they have to get back to the drawing board with this. :)

I personal stoped at the point of combat because having to look at 2 different pages to get a single combat round resoult is to much for a gamebook in my opinion.

You not only have to memory what page your at but also have to look at the rule pages at each round of fight again what is a simple no go.

A tutorial would be great. Or.. rather than tutorial, an example that you can follow step by step. Those are always good. But still, I'm not saying combat is difficult, but it takes a bit of getting used to - that and the uncertainty of new beginnings makes it tricky, as you are not sure how much you should add when, where or how. (Which is what I hope to learn here ^^ )

Adrian;

I've revised your Summary here to help (there is no opposing Roll from Betty.) The key insight is that unless you roll a Claw action, Betty doesn't get to use it.

1)

MY SKILL is a 1d10+10, and MY DEFENSE is 1d10+20, this yielded 12 and 29 respectively.

My Opponent Betty the "Street Tough" (<- That should be Thug I think but I'll make a note of it!) has a 7 SKILL and 22 DEFENCE.

2)

MY SKILL - OPPONENT's SKILL = INITIATIVE

=> The starting Initiative is 12-7 = 5

So far so good. Now, it reads that I should

3)

Look at the RESULTS TABLE... which is what is labeled as COMBAT TABLE in the files. Then proceed to find the CURRENT INITIATIVE on the top of the chart.

That is 5, and we lose some defense, as stated on the chart. 6 and 2.

My Defense is then 27 and lovely Betty has 16. Neither of us has reached 0 so battle hasn't ended.

4)

Roll a 1d10 and cross reference this number with the current initiative this shows what action you may take.

A whooping 6! - meaning Defense or Maneuver, right so...

5)

Choose the action you wish to take, noting that each action is modified by weapons and armor. So, ITEM REFERENCE GO! I find that Thumper(left) gives me 2 initiative if used with Maneuver, so I'll go with that. The current initiative is now 7 (5 + 2).

6)

Since I rolled Maneuver and Defense, Betty has no Claw attack. If I had rolled a 1 or 8 (with an initiative of 5), I would have had a Claw result, and would have applied it now.

7)

Update your character sheet! If either have hit 0 in defense then combat is over

My Defense is 27 out of 29 and Betty has 16 still. Neither is in the red so combat continues.

8)

I can change my weapon now! But I rather like my hand so I'll keep it, Betty considers dropping her teeth but decides to keep them as well. If I had an Item, such as a Healing Potion, I could have used it now, too.

9)

If nothing else is stated combat continues! Initiative is carried over.

ROUND 2

Current Initiative: 7

Current Defense 27 and 16

3)

Betty and I give it a bit of a rumble, looking at the top of the chart and withdrawing defense. At Initiative 7 it is 7 for Betty and 1 for me! Our Defenses are now 26 and 9.

4 & 5)

I go first, rolling a 1d10 and got a sniffling 2. I get attack or defense. Attack with Thumper gives +1 damage and defense gives +1 Initiative.

Since it is too early to be min maxing Fiddleton Flintbreaker finds that it is high time to return the favor from first round and gives beautiful Betty with the teeth a left hook, tearing flesh and bruising sinew for +1 damage. Our Defenses are now 26 and 8.

6)

Since I did not roll a Claw attack, Betty has no additional Action.

7, 8 & 9)

Defense: 26 (-1 from start of round) and 8 (-7 from start of round, -1 from Thumper)

ROUND 3

3)

Initiative carries forward, and remains 7. I roll a 6.

At 7 Initiative the damage taken is 2 and 6 respectively. There is a bit of a rumble, Betty does better than round 2, but not by much!

Defense is now 24 and 2. Betty is almost defeated!

4,5 & 6)

Flintbreaker's 1d10 gives 6, Defense or maneuver, we choose maneuver because we'll win next round no matter what, and because it is harder to spell, too! Flintbreaker is that kind of person. (Or... well, on a good day... maybe. If there were people looking. The right kind of people. And he was sober.) Initiative is now 8.

I did not roll a Claw attack, so Betty has no special action.

Flintbreaker hops and tumbles around like the (far too sober) dwarf that he is, wielding a nasty left hand.

7, 8 & 9)

Defence: 24 (-2 from start) and 2 (-6 from start)

Round 4

Initiative is now 8 meaning round start tumbling gives 1 and 7 damage respectively. Betty's defense is below 0 and has lost the fight. (She gains 1 glory though, she can tell the story of how she bit the soon to be legend Flintbreaker, she may have chipped a tooth but it was worth it for the free drink at the local grog-house)

Defense at the end: 20 and -5.

Adrian;

The new combat example looks fantastic!

A couple of notes:

I don't think there are any timed Initiative bonuses, but if there were, they would work as you describe.

In #8 you can also use 1 Item, if you have one. A Healing Potion is the usual choice. :)

Prevent is defined in the Combat Effects section of the Rules, and prevents Claw Attacks from being used on you over the Duration (in this case 2.) There is an Effect which works as you described, though- it's Guard. :)

Page 22 of the Holdfast Act I 1.0, The Strunk Guard it does say 'you gain an initiative bonus for three turns thereafter'

Good point though! I'll have him use a healing kit, cause... yeeah..

Oh didn't notice that the effects were mentioned in the Rules when I read through it. I'll certainly give a point in the direction then!

That is one huuuge post, now that I see it... ah well. Live and learn.. or, watch others.. or.. something, either way! I think I got most(?) aspects into the fight, save perhaps changing weapons. But... I don't really want Fiddleton to drop his hands, it seems wrong. He did pick up that halberd though... so maybe I'll do a shortened version to introduce weapon effects if I get around to it and it seems useful :)