Black Chicken Studios Forums

How to deal with Detention?

knightav

Hi Academagians!

I don't consider myself too much of a troublemaker at school, but I frequently find my schedule filled up with 1-2 days of detention every week in almost every school year. It seems to take many many weeks to go away! Am I racking up more detention credits, or is there some action or condition that must be met in order to "finish" detention?

What are the best ways to avoid detention? And once you've earned it, is there anything you can do to get out of it?

Thanks in advance, from a new first year.

Knightav;

It's best to avoid the attention of the Instructors if you can at all help it, but there are times when through no fault of your own you are caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Here are some things you can do to help prevent it:

1) Are you Attending Class? It's alright to skip Class every now and again (the University is huge, and there are many things that can prevent you making it to Class!), but if you make a habit of it, you will quickly be pegged as a troublemaker and Detention will be awarded every time you miss a Class.

2) Are you setting a preparation Location for your Actions? If you are, many Locations have a Chance of Discovery. If you are Discovered going where you aren't supposed to be, you will be given Detention.

3) Are you carrying a lot? And if you are, are you able to easily Conceal what you carry? If yes, the Instructors can award you Detention for this, too- they like Students to adhere to a strict dress code, after all. :lol:

4) Have you draw the ire of some of your Classmates? Some particularly vindictive Students have unique Abilities that allow them to get those they dislike into trouble! It might be worth it to improve some Relationships.

Once you are in Detention, however, there is only one way to get out:

Endure. What you need to do is impress your Instructor with sufficient knowledge of the Skills they value most, and it can be hard! Every time you attend Detention, you'll gain a boost to one of your Skills, and your Instructor then gives you a Quiz on that Skill. Do well enough, and you are free from Detention. Don't do well enough? You'll be back again next week. :)

The Calendar auto-fills Detention for you until the end of game, but removes it once you escape it.

Hope that answers your question!

Aha!

My first year, I was definitely skipping too much class. I had caught on to this and had toned it down a little bit in later years. It's entirely possible that was I was also preparing actions in completely inappropriate locations.

I will have to try harder to pass those detention quizzes. It might be worth some heavy studying some weekend to get out of a long term detention engagement.

Thank you for the response!

Is there any visual indication (in the calendar log or something) of the skill you gain or the skill the instructor is testing on? I have never seen an increase after a detention session, and I have been unable to guess the skill needed by looking at the instructor's profile. I'm concerned because I still haven't ever been able to escape from detention before.

The Academagia has a fairly liberal policy on attendance, but...if you do it too much, they will crack down on you. Every subsequent Class you miss gives an ever greater chance you will be put into Detention. And if you collect too many Detentions, well...things escalate from there. :)

Does it actually matter, which lessons do you skip? (first or second set) - should player alternate between attending different sets of lessons to decrease chance of detention or any class attended resets the counter?

Does it actually matter, which lessons do you skip? (first or second set) - should player alternate between attending different sets of lessons to decrease chance of detention or any class attended resets the counter?

Skipping, period, will probably lead to detention.

Though in my experience, I got the best results of staving off detention by alternating skipping morning and afternoon (I skipped morning and attended noon one day, reversed the next), and attended all the other 3 days of the week. A lot of times when I did it more than that, even once, I ended up getting caught.

I was caught trespassing at last :rolleyes:

I gots me a detention, but is there any way to tell which teacher I was assigned to be with, is it random? (I'd expect if I messed up in a class, I'd be given a detention with that class's teacher... but here I was off school grounds) It's definately one of 'my' teachers, right? It won't be with a teacher who's subject I've never touched before?

The day I first attended my detention, my history shows "You have attended detention with Giovanni di Lucca Alazzo." And it showed me a Lore beneath that... 'A Guide To Your Every Action'... A quote from it, "I've written this guide so that you do not embarrass yourself further..." Hehe, I totally love when the random numbers come together in a way that seems so appropriate - this should be mandatory lore for detention sitters :rolleyes:

But that's long after I got assigned my detention. In fact, the day I was assigned my detention, my history doesn't actually tell me I had earned detention at all. What it did say was "You have been reprimanded for trespassing!" And that's all it said. Didn't tell me which of the three places I'd been caught (or even maybe all three, I'd taken some risks that day, I'll tell ya :) ). Didn't tell me who caught me, and didn't tell me if that was the same person who I was assigned to detention with. Wasn't until I checked the calendar that I realized I even had detention.

Which makes me wonder, since this person is a Legate and apparently head of College Vernin, is there thus a range of subjects he might be trying to instruct me within, instead of just one class? Any 'risk' that the subject might change each day? (That might make it really hard to train/study one's way out of his detentions :blink: ) I managed to end his detentions with that first one (500% chance of success bug, woo! How the heck did I even get caught in the first place? :P ) but that doesn't make it any easier to figure out what he taught me.

Impet;

The feedback for that is missing- it's an action for Patch 2, if we can squeeze it in. Each time you go to Detention you should be told what you have learned- and yes, it is a range of subjects. Not too wide, but eclectic enough to keep you guessing. :rolleyes:

It looks like the feedback message for being Reprimanded for trespassing is missing the Instructor- we'll go over these again, so that they do tell you.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Draigh;

Ah- the Roll to get out of Detention is a Skill Roll- the Skill depends on the Instructor, of course. ;)

A skill roll against which difficulty? Do you need to master a skill completely and have a high attribute in it to even make a chance? Or just having it to level 5 would be enough to statisfy most instructors?

Or is that one different per instructor?