Black Chicken Studios Forums

Academagia v 3.0.8

Command

Love how Steam keeps flip-flopping between Mixed and Mostly Positive reception. Also a piece of Steam fan artwork...apparently? I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. It's not bad, it's just...a modern interpretation of an...adolescent(?) girl dragging an equally old Durand de Thiomines along the Dance of Fools? Y'got me.

Oh yeah, Steam is mixed between the Old Guard and newcomers that enjoy it against those that hate it or don't understand it. One video review I saw had the man stopped playing even before the intro sequence with Greta's letter was finished. Also some people that outright refuse to buy it due to absence of Year two, claiming that the game is incomplete. Some legitimate concerns while others seem outright trolls considering low steam level and outright bizzare logic.

Academagia though really is mixed. Its a very niche type of game.

It's really bizarre to me how people end up complaining about the steep learning curve, the mounds of text and other such problems still. I mean they're not untrue, not in the least, but you'd expect that when a game has, what, 40+ reviews, positive and negative, all rip on the game's steep learning curve, borderline BS difficulty and so on that people who don't like that would realize "hey, maybe this game isn't for me".

Eh people be people. Doing things they hate. The only thing that really bothers me is when they claim the game is unfinished just because only year one has been released and year two has been development for like seven years and that Academagia has been abandoned by the studio. Now in the grand scheme of your character's career, yes it is unfinished but the game could stand on its own. For complaints about none of the stories end is complete BS in my eyes. While some adventures have open ended endings, they are still resolved.

Some of them just stubbornly refuse to play it until all the years are released and insult anyone that goes against their thinking by claiming them to be diehard fanboys. The worst was calling people illogical for different thought while themselves being illogical and at the same time saying we have low standards. I do for entertainment because it isn't vital but when it comes to food, you bet I will rail against anyone that takes away even slices of bread.

IDK I could just be getting old or out of touch with those with means.

I can see the PoV of the ones who feel the game is unfinished because the planned series is unfinished, to the point where I'd probably be making the same statements if I hadn't been kinda involved with the development of the game myself (sorta, I did type out a bunch of things and helped with the Beta 'n all, typed a few guides or someth'n 'n stuff too, so...), but having played it I can see how Y1 can stand on it's own. Yes, there's plot hooks left dangling and the game's ending is possibly the biggest non-ending I've seen since the initial release of KotOR 2, but there's enough things that finish in Y1 that I, at least, wasn't left with the feeling that the ending didn't say "now buy Y2 to continue the story!" only because it'd be perceived as some form of politically incorrect. I should add, stuff like the Pig Blood Vault event leading absolutely nowhere wasn't as annoying as, say, HK-47 dropping through a plot hole in Citadel Station and leaving me to wonder what I missed when this oft-mentioned Droid Factory was a complete no-show.

My personal favorite, though, are the complaints that the UI has "a ton of wasted space", that the font is "microscopic", or the game being a cheap cash grab. The Team was under no obligation to update the UI, technically, they just did because a Steam re-release with the old UI would actually have featured all of those things...and more :rolleyes:.

Oh I remembered that Droid Factory thing causing me to go: What? Or what seemed to be a contrived fight between companions with no explanation unless you have cut content restored.

I think I never had a problem with the UI and the cash grab part is hilarious. If this was a cash grab then I suppose the Injustice game series is outright theft considering that they already lock character skins behind a paywall.

My favorite part was that my PC was too weak to actually handle the big open field planet (forgot the name) first time I played, so unless I kept my camera focussed on walls and slowly moved along them the game would lag like all hell, I think causing it to buffer forward movement input (and speed...) until the Exile rocketed forwards like a Super Mario 64 TAS and got stuck in a frozen running animation. Of course I was neither a patient or cunning gamer in those days (you would not believe how badly I just no-sold Kreia's entire attempt at teaching me her "eating babies is a mater of perspective"-esque philosophy), so it never occurred to me that keeping the Move Faster Force power active was not actually helping me get around faster, slowly. Good times :).

Oh, character skins behind paywalls are small beans compared to what people can get away with these days. Part of the problem, I suspect, is that nothing on Steam clarifies when the various included DLCs came out. People might have missed the fact that DLC 17 literally came out with the Steam version, not a day sooner (well, unless you count the beta tests, but...), instead of their idea of the game as it is currently having existed for years until the Team just decided to throw it at Steam for a quick buck.

The problem is that those character skins are very much beloved characters but I get your point. Yeah, I don't think much people know that the Steam version is DLC 17 plus base game. There are posts about the developers abandoning this project which is hilarious as DLC supported the game for what seven years?

Well, they know it's the game will all the DLC, Steam does mention that, what they seem to be forgetting (and/or missing) is that the Team (and their fanbase) has actually been working on said DLC these past seven years, rather than the game as it currently is supposedly being years old by now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with ruffled feathers about the steam reviews. I bet some of the people were expecting some kind of anime visual novel game where romance is the main point. I saw someone try to compare it to Magical Diary and I thought "Did... Did you not see the Steam photos...?" I'm not bashing the dating game genre (since I own way too many dating games and LOVE them) But I don't understand where these crazy assumptions are coming from. The description says it's text-based and the photos showing nothing BUT text! ={/ I know I'm a biased opinion and all, but c'mon

Eh doesn't matter much to me, same old same old of people buying before reading and looking clearly. I learned long ago that the steam forums are cancer. At least here people are critical in a professional sense without resorting to character bashing of the other person. I mean here if I disagree with someone I would probably get frustrated while over there I am more willing to bash them in the face repeatedly if I know their identity.

Cool! It's no hurry. My laptop has a touchscreen and my cat likes to paw at it and watch things go wonky so the ui lock will save me a lot of sighs of despair haha!

What are the other updates that are planned?

More hilarity from the Steam reviews: No Y2 or combat in the game? Must be a desperate cash-grab to buy a new car or something. Also, feels like a 1989 text-based adventure game. Because 1989 computer hardware could have handled Academagia, and the screenshots showing nothing but menus, minimal UI and enough text to choke a herd of elephants indicated the game was going to be something completely different, totally.

On the edge of Mostly Positive is a fair, perhaps even slightly generous assessment of the game's quality, but really now :rolleyes:.