Black Chicken Studios Forums

Can't get Mastery to work properly

Heksefatter

Hi all,

I have been delving into the Dark and Forbidden Arts of Mastery. Of course, I want to test it on someone and have, for some strange reason, decided that Phillippe Marchant should be my guinea pig/slave.

My Mastery skill level is 10 and it says that I have learned the Master spell. However, I can't find it anywhere. I have no idea how to use it.

Furthermore, when I use lesser levels of Mastery, such as hypnotize, they don't really work either. I try to make Phillippe bully his friends or rubbish his college, but I can't choose who to direct those actions at. In fact, he usually bullies me or rubbishes my college. How unethical!

Does anyone have any knowledge how to deal with this?

For the first problem: Master is a spell, and to cast a spell you need all of it's Phemes. The one you're most likely missing is Order.

The second problem is actually intentional design. As a first year student you simply aren't good enough with Mastery yet to make people to exactly what you want them to do, the most you can do for now is implant suggestions.

Interesting, I actually have yet to fully master Mastery although I always dabble in it. Maybe my current character should.

What about Total Control (Action) it states "complete control" where the other one says "full"?

This also makes Mastery awfully time-consuming to master, though I guess it makes sense given the difficulty of acquiring reading materials. You have to do 10 research sessions to get the Order Pheme and 10 research sessions studying the Theory of Mastery, to unlock 11 for the other three sub-skills.

Hmmm, it appears you're right, Metis. Thank you. Trouble remains, however.

I managed to research mastery phemes to 10, but couldn't increase my mastery phemes skill to 11, which is needed for order. It seems I need to research mastery methods, which can, purpotedly, be unlocked at the Mineta loading station.

Except it can't. Do anyone know how?

Interesting, I actually have yet to fully master Mastery although I always dabble in it. Maybe my current character should.

What about Total Control (Action) it states "complete control" where the other one says "full"?

This also makes Mastery awfully time-consuming to master, though I guess it makes sense given the difficulty of acquiring reading materials. You have to do 10 research sessions to get the Order Pheme and 10 research sessions studying the Theory of Mastery, to unlock 11 for the other three sub-skills.

They're the same. The game engine only has one Control function, and everything from Master to Voice of Favors uses it. As far as I know, at least.

I managed to research mastery phemes to 10, but couldn't increase my mastery phemes skill to 11, which is needed for order. It seems I need to research mastery methods, which can, purpotedly, be unlocked at the Mineta loading station.

Note that when your skill maximum increases the game will still claim that your skill is maxed when it's level 10, so it's possible you can train it up despite the game claiming it's maxed out. As for unlocking research topics as far as I know you only need to be informed of the location in question, maybe also the skill (although there are some research topics that aren't tied to skills, so...). I don't often use Research, so I'm not entirely sure.

To get Mastery Phemes 11. You have to research The Research Topics "Mastery Phemes" up to 10 to get a level increase to the "Mastery Phemes Skill" which you can trains to get the skill up to 11 and get the Order phemes.

More info on Research Topics here: http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Research_Topics

I was wondering, in terms of lore, when our characters use Mastery on a student no one finds out or suspects anything right?

Because in the description of Total Control it states: "This is, of course, a fairly hostile thing to do, and one should expect reprisals once their puppet regains their own mental facilties."

We don't even lose relations do we? Somehow I'd imagine even getting suspected of such a thing would be hugely dangerous.

Total Control (along with most Mastery-related Control stuff) is actually typed as Hostile, so using it on someone does decrease their relationship score...by a whole 1 point. Beyond that, though, no consequences for enslaving several students and making them do your bidding for however long.

In Year 1, at least. I imagine that Y2 is a different story.

Heksefatter;

On the other hand, what an inspired choice for control. :)

I should say an obvious choice. :D

Sad fact is that you can't control your puppets properly enough to make them do what you will. You can choose your actions, but you can't direct them. I wanted Philippe to bully his own friends and trash talk his own college, sending him into a war with his own friends, and ruining a rival college's merit. Instead, he attacks according to his own preferences (or so it seems). Mostly, though not entirely, he bullies me and trash talks my college.

I guess at our year 1 level of competence we are capable only of creating subtle sub-conscious commands that he will believe is something he chose to do of his own volition.

I'm wondering at the difference between Total Control and the spell Master, do they know the spell was cast on them? And is Total Control a form of hypnosis requiring no actual spell?

If they do lose a relationship point, does that mean they are compelled to forget but retains a subconscious dislike of you?

So long as it is clear as day that the spell in question is related to a forbidden art in some way before you cast it. Oh sure Puppet Master is an obvious Mastery spell, but if I cast some friendly sounding spell and get in trouble because I accidently used a pheme I shouldn't with no warning I'll be mad. ;)

• 2 months later...

Remember even when your spell runs out you still have time to do a bit of salvage if your running and danger sense is high enough!

Philippe runs to a teacher's office (you'll note that he usually runs away from them) and starts banging on the door. "That [insert profanity of choice here] [insert name of player character here] is doing something! Messing with my head! I am telling you [he/she] is --" Philippe stares at the door for half a minute before it opens. "Yes??" The teacher says opening the door, and after looking at the student in question checks for traps lining the nearby surfaces. Philippe replies in a horrendous monotone voice. "Haha. I am kidding. I am such a kidder. Ha! It was a prank. I shall go clean my room and do my homework now. Yes..." He does a 180 and proceeds to walk in a very stiff gait back towards the dorms.

• 10 months later...

Remember even when your spell runs out you still have time to do a bit of salvage if your running and danger sense is high enough!

Philippe runs to a teacher's office (you'll note that he usually runs away from them) and starts banging on the door. "That [insert profanity of choice here] [insert name of player character here] is doing something! Messing with my head! I am telling you [he/she] is --" Philippe stares at the door for half a minute before it opens. "Yes??" The teacher says opening the door, and after looking at the student in question checks for traps lining the nearby surfaces. Philippe replies in a horrendous monotone voice. "Haha. I am kidding. I am such a kidder. Ha! It was a prank. I shall go clean my room and do my homework now. Yes..." He does a 180 and proceeds to walk in a very stiff gait back towards the dorms.

Too OoC for Philippe?

You'd think, but there was that incident that caused dating to be banned on campus and that didn't raise as many eyebrows as one would expect...

Clearly the answer is to do this repeatedly so the instructors will learn to ignore dull-minded students!

So long as it is clear as day that the spell in question is related to a forbidden art in some way before you cast it. Oh sure Puppet Master is an obvious Mastery spell, but if I cast some friendly sounding spell and get in trouble because I accidently used a pheme I shouldn't with no warning I'll be mad. ;)

Gift sounds very benign although if you don't read spell descriptions your in bigger troubles.

Clearly the answer is to do this repeatedly so the instructors will learn to ignore dull-minded students!

Now why didn't I think of that? If everyone channels their inner slacker it would be almost impossible to notice the few who are ensorcelled AND it would give me comparatively better scores on the tests... - next question is then how do we get everyone to stare blankly into space without doing actual mastery on the majority? (Which is out of the question as I haven't found that damned "order" pheme just yet... still looking though...)

My first thought would be Rikildis and get some (dull) rumors going, but I doubt that will get everyone slumped. Maybe convincing all the teachers to make last minute hand-in deadlines- that way they would be too tired to pay attention. Besides, everyone knows that students have too much time so an extra assignment won't hurt right? :)

Archived