Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cold Lake

WeirdGamer

Well I was on a roll with my writing, so I figured I would also post the other random event I wrote up.

-----------------------------------

You have decided that this is the perfect day for a swim in the lake. You head down there, wearing your bathing suit under your robes. When you arrive, you begin to disrobe when you hear arguing.

You finish undressing and look to see what the commotion is. [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier and [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins are arguing with each other. You asked what's going on and Vincent explains.

"Vuillamue here was conducting one of her...experiments. And she managed to make the whole lake ice cold. I wanted to go swimming."

Vuillamue gives an apologetic shrug. "In fairness, my experiment did work. Who knew an ice explosion would have such an effect?"

Vincent suddenly grins and looks at you. "I still managed to stand in the lake for almost a full minute. Bet you can't beat that."

Do you accept his challenge?

Exit 1: Decline. That's a dumb challenge. [None]

Success:

You flatly decline his challenge. He tries to convince you, but you stand firm. You redress and leave [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier and [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins arguing. You can swim another day.

Reward: None

Exit 2: Try and beat his time! [Endurance]

Success:

You readily accept his challenge. His grin widens as you take a moment to mentally prepare yourself.

At last, you step into the lake. It is extremely cold! You begin to shiver almost immediately. You look back at the shore and see [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins is almost laughing. Determined to not let him win you set your jaw and wait.

Finally, you can't take it anymore and run back out to your towel. As you wrap it around yourself [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins walks up and congratulates you. You stayed in longer than he did! Even [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier is impressed!

Reward: +1 Endurance

Failure:

You readily accept his challenge. His grin widens as you take a moment to mentally prepare yourself.

You step into the lack and immediately begin to shiver. This is the coldest water you've ever felt in your life. You feel as though you're about to freeze solid!

Finally, you can't take it anymore and run back to shore and your warm towel. As you wrap it around yourself [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins laughs. Even [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier is giggling.

"What is it?" you asked through chattering teeth.

"You didn't even come close to beating me," replies Vincent, "Good try though".

You stare at him slack jawed. It felt like you were in there for an hour. Oh well, can't win them all.

Penalty: Stress +1

Exit 3: Don't just beat him, show off by swimming! [swimming]

Success:

"I'll do you one better," you say confidently, "I'll not just stand but swim." Before he can reply you make a mad dash for the water and dive in.

It is indeed very cold. You're surprised your body didn't freeze on contact. In fact, it's so cold it's actually difficult to swim. never the less you press on and continue your swim.

After you have spent about a minute swimming, completing some basic strokes, you stand up and run out the lake to your towel. Shivering you wrap it around yourself as [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier, just stares at you, very impressed. [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins is grinning ear to ear.

"That was amazing," he says, "I guess you really did beat me!"

Reward: +1 Swimming, +1 Endurance

Failure:

I'll do you one better," you say confidently, "I'll not just stand but swim." Before he can reply you make a mad dash for the water and dive in.

It is indeed very cold. You're surprised your body didn't freeze on contact. In fact, it's so cold it's actually difficult to swim. You try to press on, but begin to lose yourself in the water. You try to strike back to shore, at this point content with a loss if it means getting out of here. But you head slips under the water.

A moment later you find yourself being pulled to shore by [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins. You try to thank him, but your teeth are chattering too much. He quickly wraps a towel around your shivering body. [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier even helps by contributing body heat via a hug.

It's a long while before you feel warm again.

Penalty: -1 Vitality

Exit 4: Sneakily use magic to heat the lake back up. [Negation]

Success:

"Give me a moment to think about it," you say. [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier shurgs and goes back to arguing with [Character]Character/Female/Selection/Vuillaume Eparvier.

While they do so you surreptitiously retrieve your wand from your discarded robes. You cast the spell as quickly as you can and then hide your wand again.

"I'm ready," you announce and then wade on in. [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins stares at you dumbfounded as you swim, perfectly comfortable, through the lake. When you finally head back to shore he admits you easily beat him.

Reward: +1 Negation Spells, +1 Deceit

Failure:

"Give me a moment to think about it," you say. shrugs and goes back to arguing with .

While they do so you surreptitiously retrieve your wand from your discarded robes. You cast the spell as quickly as you can and then hide your wand again.

"I'm ready," you announce and then wade on in. The water is nice and warm. Then it's hot. Then it's burning. Yelping comically, you flee from the water as fast as you can. Your two compatriots laugh as you fumble for your wand to cast a spell and cool yourself down.

"I guess cheaters never prosper," notes [Character]Character/Male/Selection/Vincent Eins.

At least the burns are minor and should heal quickly.

Penalty/Benefit: -1 Vitality, +1 Negation Spells

If you intend to write a lot, it might be better to keep it confined to one or a few topics rather than have one per RE/adventure/what have you. Makes things more organized and easier to find later. Also, if you want to hide blocks of text, put it in spoiler tags as such:

[spoiler]Text here[/spoiler]

As for the event itself I'd say it's missing a few options, especially since Endurance and Swimming are both athletic-y skills.

I apparently misspelled the tags, one sec...

EDIT: Okay, fixed. In fact, let that be another lesson for typing REs and such - never type too quickly:

[spoiler]Text here[/spoiler]

Text here

So apparently you have to type out the tags yourself, copy/pasting them doesn't work...for reasons. That above is literally the exact same tags twice, but only the bottom one actually takes. I have no idea why that is.

It's still not working for me, for whatever reason.

I've got to hit the road again, so I'll have try later. Thanks for you're help!

Edit: managed to fix just before heading out the door. I've seen stuff like that on other forums. Oh well, at least now it works. Guess I deserved that for being lazy.

Archived