Black Chicken Studios Forums

Mod Tools Help

WeirdGamer

Hello.

I've begun to try and work with the mods, but I encountered a problem when I learned I couldn't edit any of the text. I discovered this is because the mod tools only work on Windows XP.

So, I installed a Windows XP virtual machine, and tried to get it to work there. After some trouble I found I out I had to install .NET. I did, but it still wouldn't open and just gave me an error. Then I found out I needed version 2 of .NET. So I uninstalled the other version and installed version 2.

Now it doesn't give me an error, but just crashes on start up. Anyone have any advice as to have to deal with this? I would greatly appreciate it.

You, IIRC, need .NET version 3.5 specifically. I also had trouble getting it to work at first, but if memory serves me, that's what fixed it.

EDIT: Just checked what all my virtual instance has, and it's a bit of a doozy. .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP 2, Framework 3.5 SP 1, Framework 4 Client Profile and Extended, as well as Visual C++ 2008.

...The mod tool actually does print out a .log, at least for me on Windows 7 it does drop one straight in C:\. Can you find a file named ModTool.log on the XP instance?

Also, what all does your instance have installed in terms of .NET frameworks and Virtual Studio things?

This is really weird because my modtool works just fine on Windows 10.

I wish it did. It does, sort of, it just doesn't let me type in certain fields, such as successes or failure text.

...The mod tool actually does print out a .log, at least for me on Windows 7 it does drop one straight in C:\. Can you find a file named ModTool.log on the XP instance?

Also, what all does your instance have installed in terms of .NET frameworks and Virtual Studio things?

No luck finding the log. Searched for it manually and with the search.

I'm using .NET 3.5 like your recommended.

No, that's the same one I have. Unless you need a very specific version of it, but I doubt minor revisions matter for the mod tools. Let's see, is the 3.5 .NET framework the only one you have installed right now? I remember needing 3.5, but I do have multiple, so I could be misremembering.

In that case, try framework 3.0. And if that doesn't work, get the entire list I posted earlier and see if that works. If not one a combination of them must.

Beyond "Windows XP", for that virtual instance at least, I got no clue, but I'll see if dxdiag tells me anything useful.

You, IIRC, need .NET version 3.5 specifically. I also had trouble getting it to work at first, but if memory serves me, that's what fixed it.

EDIT: Just checked what all my virtual instance has, and it's a bit of a doozy. .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP 2, Framework 3.5 SP 1, Framework 4 Client Profile and Extended, as well as Visual C++ 2008.

I haven't run dxdiag, but I know the one I have is Windows XP Professional. Well the installation of .NET is giving me trouble (as these things sometimes do). I'm going to try and sort it out, but I have traveling I need to do and may not get a chance for awhile. if that's the case thank you for your help and I'll report back when I get the thing installed.

Edit: Tried 3.0, didn't work. I think newer ones install the older ones automatically anyway. I'll try the 4.0 one.

Archived