Black Chicken Studios Forums

Suggestions & Improvement

decourcy2

2 little things:

1) When you're on a location sub-screen, with your 3-5 choice of actions for that location, put somewhere on the screen the NAME of that location. It's annoying to go through the skills menu everytime I want to raise a skill because I don't know where I did the thing I just did. :)

2) Up with the date on top, put a day of the week! Just a minor flavor things that adds so much. (I did notice the game calendar is accurate to the 1930 calendar. Not that I expected to catch you guys out, but I had to try!)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortis;

Maybe it's something that would be tied to Difficulty Level? An interesting thought!

Yes well... if you start a Caper and you cannot do anything but click for the text progression and you see that the Stress increases of 8 points without having any possibility of intervention, that's pretty annoying.

But for the adventures I have made I think the maximum of increase of stress points I saw was 3 or perhaps 4, and that doesn't bother me.

2 little things:

1) When you're on a location sub-screen, with your 3-5 choice of actions for that location, put somewhere on the screen the NAME of that location. It's annoying to go through the skills menu everytime I want to raise a skill because I don't know where I did the thing I just did. :)

But if you click on the portrait you can repeat the action you just did, am I correct?

But if you click on the portrait you can repeat the action you just did, am I correct?

Yes, but if you had an event, or rested in between, you now need to hunt for that action again. Took me a couple of play-throughs to remember where most actions are in NY, I had to highlight *each and every* location every time I wanted to do that particular obscoure action, ugh.

and in the exotic locations I'm completly lost, esecially because many places share the same icon. What's the deal with that, really? Did the team run out of time? It's kinda confusing, I think in Peru or India you got like 4 spots using the same icon, all in the same general area... Rather confusing.

Jackrabbit;

1) When you're on a location sub-screen, with your 3-5 choice of actions for that location, put somewhere on the screen the NAME of that location. It's annoying to go through the skills menu everytime I want to raise a skill because I don't know where I did the thing I just did.

Not a bad idea at all- we'll see what we can do!

2) Up with the date on top, put a day of the week! Just a minor flavor things that adds so much. (I did notice the game calendar is accurate to the 1930 calendar. Not that I expected to catch you guys out, but I had to try!)

Hahaha! You want catch us on the calendar, at least. :)

I agree, though- it would be nice to have the days of the week. That may be possible- we'll see!

Here's a suggestion, if not already mentioned....

It seems to me that "The Pursue the Main Adventure in .... (... Egypt/Australia/ etc...) seem to happen automatically as you progress through the days while in the specific city.

As a result, I think it would be nice to know at what point the Adventure is actually at in terms of its obstacles... For example, I was trying to prep up my Inspirations for the "Pursue the Main Adventure in Australia" and got it to a point where I figured I would be ready for the first set. Click on the adventure only to find out when I started, it was actually on the 3rd set of obstacles which I naturally had no inspirations ready for.

So maybe if we have a different highlight color, perhaps in "yellow" or maybe a yellow asterisk next to the part we're on so we know what to stock up on for the future.

Well hope that made sense, overall really enjoying this one especially because I’m a fan of history, and “Indiana Jones” type movies and that’s what this game brings out I find. Although, for me at least, I would have preferred being a guy (to get my true Indy experience haha), but I guess that’s cause I’m a guy in RL and usually don’t play to many female protagonist characters, heh.

Well, looking forward to what the future may bring as you guys certainly went crazy with the free DLC for Academagia, so hopefully it translate to this game too.

thanks,

Tyros;

Other Adventurers have made that same suggestion (crossing out the ones you have already seen, or hiding them in some way)- it's a great idea, but I don't think we will be able to do it in 1931. 1932, however, definitely. :)

I don't think we plan to do DLC for this game (apart from bug fixing and adding in Player created content), but Academagia DLC 15 is being worked on right now. :)

Hello!

Scheherazade was the first game I purchased from BCS. I saw the advertisement for it on http://englishotomegames.tumblr.com/ and bought it right away because I'm always looking for english visual novel type games with romantic elements.

There were a couple things I was a little disappointed about. While I loved the plot and the characters, I do wish that there was more art/CGs and an ending/CG gallery so we can go back to look at the endings unlocked. This is a pretty standard feature in most VN type games so I was disappointed, especially for the price tag on the game (though I was thrilled with all the different characters you meet and "sub plots" you could do.)

One thing that I can't decide that I love or hate is that you can't do a play through with all of the answers. I've beat it twice and there are still unanswered questions that eat at me which makes me want to play again to see if I just missed them. I would be upset if I beat all of the paths and still don't know what happened to the parents, for instance, but I don't know if that's answered or not yet. :P

I love the game, I've already beaten twice and took the Roland and Ahmose paths-- and I'm deciding who to do next-- so I'll definitely be watching to see what BCS comes up with next--- I just thought I'd include my two cents. :) I took a chance buying a game with no reviews... but I'm pretty happy with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

so, I'm going through my (slow) first play of Sheherazade and now that I passed the half of the game I can tell that, between the many positive things, there's one that irks me quite a lot.

There are several Capers (actually, the majority) that progress through a train of many "white" tests with no rest in between. Now, considering that the difficulty of each test is often higher than 50, it is practically impossible to succeed in more than two tests (unless using the +alot inspirations) because the inspiration cards you can hold is pretty limited (this is especially noticeable after you change your dream and you start from 10 again). This is really frustrating; I just found myself clicking through a series of failures and sparse dialogue choices (that usually do not have many in-game consequences) through the last couple of adventures with the thought that no matter the choices before the adventure it would have been the same. This took away quite a good amount of fun.

I understand that with the progression of the game the difficulty of the tests must rise, I don't complain on that. What I don't like is that there are not enough breaks between the tests in each caper (or at least the possibility of suspending and coming back to it later). I really suggest to change it because it takes away a lot to the game! I think it should be pretty easy to add a couple of resting moments for each Caper (there are the possibilities in the stories for sure).

Fortis;

We've heard a bit of that criticism before, and where appropriate we agree. Unfortunately, some Capers lack good stopping points, but in general, it would be much better if you could duck out when you need to for Inspirations.

I don't think it's anything we can tackle in 1931, but for 1932 we'll trying something a little different there. :)

This is just an off-the-wall thought, but still: consider either re-recording or using records made in 1930-1932. The mix of styles from 1925 through the 1940s and to modern times isn't bad in the game, but it can't help thinking that there's more original flavor in the music of the period.

Would also like to see something I mentioned in a different thread, earlier: some way for the game to flag new Inspirations that appear when you make a Level in a Skill, so they stand out more against the older Inspirations. Nothing more than a slight difference to color, perhaps a dot or a small secondary color band across the card.

My wife was grumbling earlier about a general inability to see what Skills are required once you're in the middle of a Caper, so the possibility to click away just to see the active Caper steps might be useful.

The Art Deco artwork is excellent, though the anime style seemed a bit out of joint with it. That may just be me, however. I should add that it was all done very well, and the dialog was witty in a fashion I associate with some films of the period, such as the first of the Thin Man series, or screenplays that involved Ryskind,or Wilder. Nice job. A very different kind of "visual novel" game, and I'm all for that.

Monteverdi;

Thanks for the comments! For the music, we would have loved to get period music, but the licensing costs are very high.

A good thought about Skills in Capers, though- I'll add that to the list.

Thanks again!

About the period music: much of the recorded music from that time is now out of copyright. In the US, the copyright on recorded music is 50 years, so you're safe--if you just want to reproduce those old 78s, or a CD that includes them. In addition, many of the jazz and popular musicians of the late 1920s and early 1930s recorded for labels that long ago went belly up, without having their owners sell assets to any extant companies. As a result, a lot of stuff recorded by the likes of Duke Ellington, Fletcher Henderson, Benny Goodman, Fats Waller, etc, is available on a ton of small labels who haven't paid a cent for it. It's all literally in the US public domain.

I looked into this about 20 years ago, when I was still working in public radio management, and we had to decide what things we could play without payment.

Monteverdi because Scheherazade is sold worldwide you not only have to look at the US laws for copyright but also of all other countrys worldwide.

Or as the Legate mentioned when one of the major lable take a disliking they go to a country where they are still under copyright.

(I personal think because of the huge numbers of different music we have now, no one knows exact wo is holding the copyright of certain melodys and because how fast the buisness got with the internet I think the time one hold the copyright is much to long)

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but maybe include the roll back option?

I have a habit of rolling back the mouse wheel every time I pick a choice so I can see the possible outcomes--for other Renpy games of course, since this one didn't have it.

Or maybe I just need to update.

Monteverdi because Scheherazade is sold worldwide you not only have to look at the US laws for copyright but also of all other countrys worldwide.

Or as the Legate mentioned when one of the major lable take a disliking they go to a country where they are still under copyright.

I don't doubt what you're writing, at all. Literary copyrights are renewable in several nations (including the US and UK) up to a limit of 100 years, for example. But I don't recall any nations that have copyrights on audio recordings beyond 70 years, save possibly Italy. It's worth checking into, is all I suggest.

(I personal think because of the huge numbers of different music we have now, no one knows exact wo is holding the copyright of certain melodys and because how fast the buisness got with the internet I think the time one hold the copyright is much to long)

The ownership of a given song is *always* known. Even when it's contested under law, the parties contesting it are always known. A copyright attorney knows exactly where this information is held on file, though it is available to the public. Most people just don't bother to seek out the appropriate court records in their nation to find this out--and who can blame them? ;)