Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

splitting up

I was suggesting for splitting 2-3 group of each house/group of rivalry team thing that share the same setting so it get more converge on many aspect of the game.

Since it's an apprentice game, we could be like a group from each house or team that compete with other group for merit or whatever in the same covenant/school kinda like academagia's collage/clique.

Speaking of being apprentice, that would mean we won't have prima magica (magic defense skill). This gonna be fun.

I asked a fellow gm to use his channel and he agree to help out anyone that come in. Just tell him you are from here and not his new pbp game that he's recruiting.

The room address is here irc://irc.synirc.net/wizardbase

If you don't know how to get in then...

I use firefox so I use the browser-based irc program chatzilla, if you use MIRC or other thing, then the following process might be a little different for you and I don't know about those. :(

1) In the program, type in "/attach irc.synirc.net" without the quote. This will connect you to the synirc server.

2) "/join wizardbase" without the quote. This will connect you to the room or make a new one if it's nonexistence.

Done.

Ps: We can just use /join to create whatever room we need after first step.

Well, that didn't work then :P any idea how to get there from mIRC if it is possible?

Okay, go to MIRC option like this. Fill the IRC_Server panel with "Synirc" or maybe "irc.synirc.net" instead of undernet if doesn't have it on the list already. The second list for you to pick a close location that will load it faster.

Fill your nick name, other can be fake.

Click the "Connect to IRC server" button.

Now get to this channel page and find or type in #wizardbase and join it.

Morning all.

I have GM'd an Ars Magica game with 19 players, so 6 is quite possible. :) The apprentices suggestion was that - a suggestion. How many folks have access to a fifth edition Ars rulebook out of the players? It's not a problem if you haven't so be honest. I'm looking forward to this,and will sort out a channel name today :) Do ask questions, and I'll make sure I respond here, or you can email me direct at chrisjensenromer@hotmail.com. My girlfriend's PhD viva is today hence been rather distracted, but will try to reply immediately to email now. :)

cj x

Ah well I think I mention it elsewhere on my other thread - it was a very unusual game, because it was a battle. 19 players, each with a character and a role to play, but basically one huge combat. Was fun though - http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/the-mythic-battle-of-fornham-1173/ I'v run Ars Magica LARPS (often, but not always set at Tribunal) with many more players though.

OK, it's November 1214. Let's start thinking about magi characters. First thing - what House do you want your magus to be from? Please choose one, and email me on chrisjensenromer@hotmail.com with some ideas about your character's background. They were taken from their family (or ran away) because they were different, and apprenticed aged somewhere between 5 and 12 years old. Tell me a bit about them. What kind of magic are they going to specialize in? The system section here will help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Magica, but you can just say a magus who controls minds, or throws fireballs, or something! I#ll design some charcaters for you all :)

Does everyone want to play a magus on Saturday? Companions don't use magic, but are really important. They can be a wrathful priest, a really shy forester, a cowardly knight, a misogynistic troubadour, a failed apprentice whose magic was destroyed in a blab experiment, a violent lady, a scheming nun, or anything else suitable to the setting of 13th century England. Would be good to have at least a couple of companions, and much easier to play than magi :)

All the characters will be in their final period of apprenticeship, so quite capable of casting magic, knowing some spells, but not full members of the Order yet. My adventure is called "On the Feast of Edmund" and hopefully will be fun. :) (november 20th is teh feast fo St. Edmund, in case you were wondering).

Now what is your covenant (the place your magi live together) like? Everyone chime in - where do your magi live? Is it a castle, a cave system, another dimension accessed through a faerie lake, a collection of houses in a town, disguised as a monastery, an island in a marsh, hidden among the clouds, a floating palace of ice in the North Sea filled with strange icy creatures who act as servants - you need to agree this between yourselves now. :) Play with ideas! And then I'll work out the game stats for it :) So start plotting, and I'll guide you through the process of creating your home here on the forum!

cj x

I sent my char idea and I have 5th edition.

As for covenant, I guess a mobile floating island city that circulate across the globe would be cool. There's no lore about Asia so maybe we can float over there and trade or something and visit new land every session. :rolleyes:

Something just clicked into my head. First as the city flies then it most likely has it's on tribunals, though in theory you could attend any tribunal but to always be able to would be difficult. Secondly I forgot to buy characteristics for my character, yay me. So I'll take int=0, per=0, str=1, sta=0, prs=2, com=1, dex=1, qik=1. And abilities at that, a second yay for me.

Floating or flying? :) You seem to disagree! Floating actually might work well, but then flying could too. Are the inhabitants of said city mundane people? How do they eat? What is the history of the city? The lost 9th Roman legion? Atlanatean survivors? Faeries? or something weirder? :D

cj x

Floating or flying? :)

Flying, would be great to be able to outrun a hurricane. I assume it's some soft of mega project that cost a fortune to make this permanently floating and/or with mage ritual magic or backup burning vis fuel to propel the city.

Are the inhabitants of said city mundane people?

All sort of people from multiple culture that migrate into it. Ratio of mage and mundane is about the same as a regular city.

How do they eat? What is the history of the city? The lost 9th Roman legion? Atlanatean survivors? Faeries? or something weirder? :D

Under a successful multi-country funded mega magica project along with the help of fairies and other local magical creatures that doesn't want to lose their home to help lifts a sinking city (due to land corrosion) up into the air permanently, it's eventually implemented with advance Auram magic to make it moveable via ritual or vis fuel.

The local ecosystem of forest and land are strictly preserve so hunting for food is possible, but the economy is primary a caravan-based traveling city that profit with trading produces across the globe. During trading period, the city will hover near the designated city and ship pre-purchase/pre-sold product between city and other necessary thing including food.

Archived