Black Chicken Studios Forums

Introduce Yourself

dingbat91

Hi everyone! A little bit late to introduce myself, but better late than never.

I am tenchifew, just have left the big 30 behind me. In computer gaming since zx spectrum 64 times, 64 staying for the incredible 64 kilobytes of ram the thing had. Don't laugh, it was necessary to wait quite a while to fill them from a tape recorder at the time. I am originally from Russia, but living in Germany since 15 years. Working full time in laser development and writing my phd in physics at the same time does not leave me a lot of opportunities to play anymore, but if I play then turn based strategy: moo2, elemental, sword of the stars, fall from heaven 2 or RPGs: jrpgs, and on western side obsidian and bioware stuff mostly. Also visual novels, j and western ones, academagia dominating my playtime nearly completely at the moment. From my game habits I am more of a power gamer, because I like to discover optimal ways to do things, but i am also a roleplayer, fluff and motivations of my character are very important to me, and I would not do an action against his beliefs, even if it would be efficient. No sacrificing of clique members to solve an adventure in academagia for me. But my pc's still tend to be very focused and capable individuals.

That was long enough for an introduction, remains to say that I am glad to be a part of this polite and knowledgable forum, to thank the developers again for a wonderful game -thank you- and to express my wish that this forum, the developer company and the game(s) will grow and prosper.

Allow me to introduce myself...ThePoet!

As the name implicates a poet, but a writer (fantasy, sci-fi, working on a fantasy book) an art apreciator, avid gamer (strategy and roleplaying mainly, also a paradoxian lol) and living enciclopedia of human history and related odd subjects :)

Anyway, I am just a 18 years old boy just out of highschool, full of fresh ideas, and looking forward to contribute with this amazing game that for a writer like me and art fan could hardly be better. Got the the game while I was checking a wikia page and saw the Academagia one, out of curiosity because of the artwork I clicked, then searched for more info, gave it a try and here I am lol

I just joined the forum and I intend to add my own RP to the forum's section immediately though I won't write much right now as it's late and I'll have to sleep soon ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Let me introduce myself:

Mid 30s, fun of story-driven RPGs and strategies. Molecular biologist, with two degrees in science and engineering. Love books with good narrative and rich language. Same go for games, where story is more important than monster bashing.

My nick was taken from my favorite RPG, Planescape:Torment, where one of the factions was Dustmen. Second of my favorite RPG is Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Both are heavily story-driven with many alternative approaches to problem solving. Also played other games, ranging from classics like Angband and Nethack, to more modern strategies from Paradox, but interactive books (RPGs) are still my favorite.

Found this game by pure chance couple of weeks ago, while checking e-mail from Stardock (mostly they are treated as spam :) ). Was the first game that I bought after more than a four years break. Second was Democracy 2. Back to gaming it looks like... Well, not using Windows got its pros :(

Nice graphics is not for me if it goes over ease of use and speed, but stability is far more important. Hectic pace of patching for Academagia is bit uncomfortable for my taste. After all, updating all software twice per year is so convenient ;)

Nice part about Academagia is huge flexibility, detailed descriptions of almost everything (and I enjoy reading them) and humor. Great when nobody forces you to save the world (or two, or three... and so on..)

dustman;

Planescape was truly great writing, but I personally haven't played Arcanum. If you recommend it, I might have to check into it. ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Arcanum was underrated at the time but is very, very good, though like Planescape, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and other western RPGs of that era, it has not aged as gracefully as I would have hoped. Still, most definitely worth the $5-$10 that it's probably selling for these days.

Hello,

I've been playing the game for about a week now - on my fifth character already, which tells you how incredibly addicted I was - and finally decided to join after lurking around the forums for a couple of days. Hmm... I'm 26, working as a Teaching Assistant in a university, helping to teach a Game Design course. Found this game through Hanako Games, actually. I'm a big fan of life sims (Kudos, Princess Maker, Cute Knight, The Sims, Idolcraft) and building or management sims in general. Plus RPGs (Arcanum FTW) and turn-based strategy/tactics games. Anything which I can tweak and tweak to get a perfectly-balanced character/city/party/organization that fits the role I envision for it.

This is a very enjoyable game, though obviously there are some learning curve and usability issues. Still, I really like the strong story component, and the multitudes of different character configurations I can create. So far, I've made a musical priestess, a master of magic, a war princess, a bookish scribe, and now I'm onto my sneaky explorer. Looking forward to being a bully and a craftsman in the future (hopefully when the recipe problems are fixed).

Cheers,

-Dizzy-

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Let me say straight away that I've been lurking for about a couple of months, ever since I saw the gamezebo review. So I feel I know you all already! I've also been well impressed by the forums and the quick responses to sundry questions.

My games experience started with DD and similar back in the day; these days, RL work makes it hard to go for through-the-night immersion, though. I'm delighted to see a gentler game of such depth and complexity emerge, and I figure if I don't get in on it now, I'll forever be stuck catching up!

Trizz

Hi! ^-^

I am also a member of the "lurkers" in regards to the forum. Needless to say, I have been enjoying the game a lot! I really get a kick out of games like this, where you build stats and stuff. I am still working on my first character, but have plans to make many, many more in the future. The sheer variety of character development is overwhelming, (but in the good way)! I see that there are skills that have to be unlocked by studying/training other stats, I am frustrated by this, (pleasantly, though, haha)! I look forward to becoming a member of this little community on here and sharing the best that I can with any info or anything.

Peace! (^-^)y

~Arty

I'm Grumpy Old Wizard. I use that name on a number of different forums so if you see it, odds are its me.

The two types of games I play the most are strategy games and role playing games. I am rather partial to fantasy settings and usually play magic oriented characters. I've just finished my first playthrough of Academagia and had lots of fun. :) It is a very addictive game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am spleendamage, which is a complete misnomer since my spleen is, as far as I know, intact.

I'm in my early 40s and have been playing various video games since my Sears Telegames system (the Sears re-branded Atari 2600).

I am completely impressed with the Black Chicken staffers who take time out to reply on these boards. I am always appreciative of developers who will interact with their customers/fans.

I am definitely enjoying the game so far, it's a great concept and well executed design.

Looking forward to see what will come next from the studio and the modders :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I only just discovered the existence of this game yesterday, as a result of the Impulse one-day sale. I had no idea that it had been developed and was overjoyed to find it. And even more greatly overjoyed when I discovered that the game itself amply lived up to my expectations.

So I was compelled to make a forum account and and come here to give my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to everyone that had a hand in the development, production, and release of this gem of a game. Not sure how many responsible parties will actually read this little message, but my sentiment is earnest just the same.

So thank you! And I am absolutely thrilled to hear that the series is intended to be an ongoing one. I truly and deeply hope that this dream comes to fruition.

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!

Now, are you the Hound or the Mountain that Rides? :)

Oh, Sandor the Hound, of course.

Not that The Mountain isn't interesting in a 'brutal purity of evil' sort of fashion, but his younger brother has infinitely more depth and makes for a more compelling character all around.

Interesting sidenote: I've used this handle on almost every forum I've frequented for the last 12 years (starting on BBS's) and you are only the second person in all that time to comment on the reference. So...kudos to you. :)