Black Chicken Studios Forums

The Store of Draconic Heresy

CremePudding

(This had nothing to do with Dragon Worship, actually.)

Prerequisite:

Mastery >= 3

Greengrocery >= 1

Minetan Swagger >= 1

(Step 1)

Scouting around the Admiratio for a good lunch, you found yourself in a grocery store staring at some sort of exotic fruit - round, red-skinned with patches of green skin resembling scales growing all around it.

"That would set you back four hundred pims."

You look up, only to find an equally unusual sight behind the counter - a goblin shopkeeper, in some once-fancy and battered formal wears that you'd imagine Professor Contzel Ringraeyer might force on a poorly-dressed student. In fact, he does carry himself like a lazy student!

"It's not very filling though, and I don't think your headmaster will approve." The goblin continues. "If you really want something to share and make your friends go "wow", how about a Golden Pillow?" He points to a green brownish object covered in an intimidating amount of spikes that doesn't resemble a pillow nor gold in any way.

Then he says something that make you freeze. "We are all out of Dragon Eyes, though."

Dragon Eyes?

================

Investigation 1: Social Skills. Pardon? (Default Success)

It is not exactly the most complex of social skills to ask someone to repeat themselves.

"Pardon?"

"We are out of Dragon Eyes this month, sorry."

He's definitely talking about Dragon Eyes.

"And also Dragon Vomit Pearls, too! I don't think we are getting them anytime soon. Our supply is kind of jeopardized at the moment."

Dragon Vomit Pearls?

+1 SS Social Skill

Add Memory: "You've heard about "Dragon Vomit Pearls".

-------------------------

Investigation 2: "Do you sell things at the Underground Market?" (Default Success)

Recalling your trip to the menacing Underground Market and its menacing goblins, you decided to see ask him about said market.

"Of course not!" The goblin's beady, gold eyes widen a little. "I am a proper storeowner!"

Then he puffs his chest.

"I am an upstanding citizen! They are not! Pfffth!"

Truly an inspiring and upstanding model for the citizen of Mineta and goblinkinds. At least this one didn't call you "good for nothing kids".

+1 SS Minetan Swagger

------------------------

Investigation 3: Interrogation. Press him on details of Dragon Eyes. (Charm/Interrogation v.5)

Success:

"Is that a figure of speech?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, is it actually the eyes from a dragon?"

"I think so. I might have to ask my boss though."

"How could you not know if you are selling them?"

"I haven't seen a real dragon!"

"Please, can you describe the Dragon Eyes instead?"

"Well, they are red and scaly!"

That does sound kind of draconic. But still frustratingly vague.

+1 Greengrocery

Failure:

Try as you might, you just can't think of a way to phrase them as anything but Dragon Eyes or to question him meaningfully.

"Duh," the goblin squeaks. "They are Dragon Eyes! It's that simple! Dragon Eyes! Dragon's Eyes! Dragon Eyes!"

If the Captivity of the Men isn't enough motivation for you to exterminate any dragons in the future, this is.

-1 Conversation

------------------------

Investigation 3: Criminal Law. This has got to be illegal. (Intelligence/Criminal Law v/10)

Success:

You rack your brains on whether will this get you into trouble, trying to remember if there's a law in Mineta that indicate carrying a Fire Dragon Fruit will get you expelled or executed on the spot.

Nothing comes up.

"Don't worry," the goblin proudly explains as he notice your worries. "We got a license!"

He shoves what seems to be a centuries-old parchment into your face.

You didn't know licenses even last that long!

+1 SS Bookbinding

+1 SS Materials Knowledge

Failure:

You rack your brains on whether will this get you into trouble, trying to remember if there's a law in Mineta that indicate carrying a Fire Dragon Fruit will get you expelled or executed on the spot.

Sadly, you don't even know if littering will get you executed or not in the first place, so that's a moot point.

"You reminds me of the Captain," The goblin says. "He'd start shaking and going green in the face whenever he passes by, too."

Great. So the Captain of Mineta probably hates this place and will execute you on the spot for being a patron.

+1 Stress

------------------------

Exit 1: Prayer. THIS IS EVIL! PURGE THE DRAGON CULTIST! (Default Success)

Enraged and disgusted, you quickly move (definitely not stumble) out of the store, and begin a sincere prayer to the gods so that they would enact divine punishment to eradicate this unholy den of dragon worship!

After an hour of intense praying of great fervor, Noemia Falcon y Paredes passes by the window.

"Ooooh, what a terrible stench," she moans. "And what a terrifying spiky thing! I think I am going to throw up."

You walk away from the disfigured entrance, content in knowing that there will be no customer approaching the store with the puddle on its entrance.

Surely this is the works of god!

+1 SS Prayer

-1 SS Temperance

-1 Stress

-------------------------

Exit 2: Buy the Fire Dragon Fruit. (Default Success, require 400 Pims)

The goblin beams at you.

"Yay!" He pulls out a satin box. "You are my first customer, did you know that?"

"Not exactly."

"This is also my first day on the job! I am so happy!"

You turn your glaze back from the goblin to the fruit only to find a satin monstrosity wrapped in so many ribbons that it looks like a butterfly.

Adds Fire Dragon Fruit in Satin Monstrosity

Informs Fire Dragon Fruit in Satin Monstrosity

Informs Fire Dragon Fruit

-1 SS Aesthetics

Continue to Step 2A

--------------------------

Exit 3: Buy the Golden Pillow. (Default Success, require 300 Pims)

The goblin beams at you.

"Yay!" He pulls out a satin box. "You are my first customer, did you know that?"

"Not exactly."

"This is also my first day on the job! I am so happy!"

You turn your glaze back from the goblin to the fruit only to find a satin monstrosity wrapped in so many ribbons that it looks like a butterfly.

Adds Golden Pillow in Satin Monstrosity

Informs Golden Pillow in Satin Monstrosity

Informs Golden Pillow

-1 SS Aesthetics

Continue to Step 2B

Investigation 4: Mastery Spells. Check the store for signs of Mastery. (Requires Mastery >2, Fitness/Mastery Spells v.20)

Success:

You are not sure if the goblin has a poor grasp of history and language or just joking around, but you are not taking any chance.

"Look, is that a cockroach?" You point and gasp, while your other hand trace the forbidden phemes of the Minor Suggestion spell behind your back.

The goblin's eyes glaze over as you "suggest" him to sing a song. At the very least, you now know this goblin probably isn't going to take over your body and sacrifice you to a dragon nor is he a puppet controlled by a dragon.

He can probably win a prize at the theater though with that voice. You lose your control over him as he hit a high note and begins to cough.

+1 SS Mastery Methods

-1 Stress

Failure:

You are not sure if the goblin has a poor grasp of history and language or just joking around, but you are not taking any chance.

"Look, is that a cockroach?" You point and gasp, while your other hand trace the forbidden phemes of the rare Seal Against Mastery spell behind your back.

Nothing happens. He must be a dangerous dragon cultist to resist a spell of this caliber! You are in mortal danger! Oh no!

...Or you might have used the wrong spell. You are not sure.

-1 Confidence

Exit 5: Excuse yourself and go home.

The goblin pouts a little as you turn around to exit the store.

"Oh sure, waste my time and scurry out!" He catches himself. "I mean.... come back soon! We might really have Dragon Eyes in stock next time! Please!"

Continue to Step 3C

Creme!

What are you doing introducing Academagia-equivalent Asian Dragon fruit to this world?!

And I notice that no where in the main text did the goblin say it was a dragon fruit. Might want to fix that.

And why not a kobold? I'm sure Deekin might be interested in this world.

Now come back to my play! We are almost done rehearsing!

• 2 years later...

Archived