Black Chicken Studios Forums

physical medium questions.

freespace2dotcom

Well, I've just about given up trying to get anything from impulse.

I would be less angry if the program was just discontinued. This half-dead non-supported version which requires multiple 35 minute calls on hold only to be lead around the bush is just infuriating. Honestly, I'm incredibly embittered on cloud gaming over this fiasco. The thought that EA has tried to buyout steam in the past is now driving me crazy about the future.

Legate, a question or two: (or more... :rolleyes: )

1. You've said that physical copies of Academagia Y1 are obtainable. Could you please direct me to where I can buy one again?

2. Would the physical disk actually have the now mythical and nearly unobtainable V1.0?

3. What are the plans for a physical disk for Y2?

I can wait until dlc 17 and redownload Y1 via Steam as is the plan, but when Y2 comes out, I want to buy both years on disc. Incredibly, even Stardock is looking like they're going to screw me on Galciv 2 (the only other game I want to save) It's especially infuriating because I Bought Galciv 2 from them before Impulse was created and yet Still they say talk to Gamestop.

Sorry, I needed to vent. I'm probably done with buying stuff through the cloud unless there's no alternative.

Free;

Hmmm.

1) When it first launched, there was a company in Europe (France, I believe) that sold physical copies, but I don't remember the name now. I don't think they did any more than the first press. You can order a physical disk from BMT, I believe, even now.

2) It was V1.0, yes. :)

3) No plans apart from BMT's service, I think.

when burning your own discs, they have nowhere near a durability as a genuine-pressed-from-a-master disc.

Edit: $12.50 extra for it on a disc at BMT? That smells terrible. I have the worst suspicion that it's not a pressed disc, either, *sigh*

@freespace I sadly had 2 pressed disk that had not even 5 years in live duration, maybe thanks to the disk copy protection, and many disk from the DOS / Win 95 time are also no longer readable.

That why I'm by now at the point everything you don't keep your own backup for and get it over to a different medium every 5 years will be gone at some point.

Also don't underestimate the change of technology if you want to play year 1 again when year 5 is out as I doubt year 1 will run then without emulator.

That why I hoped we will see Acaqdemagia at some point at GOG even if I would have waited for a sale there to get it again I would have bought it again because they managed to keep old game running under new systems.

Sure BCS might be also make such adjustments to keep the game running but the better bet is GOG in my opinion.

Personally, I'm thinking win 7 will be my last windows. I'm more worried about tech leaving me behind than the other way around.

I'll probably go back to analog and vinyl before I go further into the cloud, which is the end game. You won't have hard drives or even PCs as we know them, just smart-widget terminals for accessing licensed data on the cloud. Anything else will be obsolete and incompatible. I say screw that.

Of course I thought Vista would be my last windows, so in 10 years if win 8 can be modded to not look like an abomination I may prolong my technodeath, but I'm not touching 10 with a 49&1/2 foot pole.

I concur, as far as win7 goes. I wouldn't have bothered with win7 otherwise.

Still, unless I can see proof that there's a way to banish that metro-ocity ( ;) ) back to the 7th layer of hell, I won't touch win8 at all. That means completely erasing any trace of the metro screen's existence.

I will go full linux before screwing around with modern windows horse crap. I've tried going linux before but I never did manage to make it stick.

I concur, as far as win7 goes. I wouldn't have bothered with win7 otherwise.

Still, unless I can see proof that there's a way to banish that metro-ocity ( ;) ) back to the 7th layer of hell, I won't touch win8 at all. That means completely erasing any trace of the metro screen's existence.

I will go full linux before screwing around with modern windows horse crap. I've tried going linux before but I never did manage to make it stick.

Well, I am hesitating to upgrade to Window 10 now due to compatibility issues (I have some old oddities I'd like to keep around), but it is easy enough to keep metro away and shut.

I don't think Year 2/3/4/5's gonna get onto Linux though unless Academagia grew into industry juggernaut somehow :o

Sure Windows 7 is still popular but do you think in 18-20 years you can get the needed Win7 driver for the hardware sold then?

(I calculate current with year 2 this year and then 6 years per new release result in 18 years +)

Just yesterday when I was looking at some notebook I had to read that one of the big producer no longer have windows 7 driver for his newer products.

Archived