Black Chicken Studios Forums

What exactly is a pheme?

miguelsz2

Alright I know the basics and such, but what exaclty are they? You can recieve them from events and apperantly you can make them as well.... Maby my understandings lacking here but I can really wrap my mind around. Truth be told when I think of a pheme I think a little stone insignia (when recieving) and a glowing pattern (when creating).......

Lol, I've done that adventure series although I didnt manage to properly complete the talking trees one I was so close too. I exited the cave but I didnt have the right skills to complete the apparently dull forest............Sorry I went a bit off topic there anywho.....Errr right I have read it but never completly understood, i'll give it another once ever then maby it'll jog a bit of intellect then eh? :)

Phemes are to magic as phonemes are to speech. Every sound a human can make constitutes a phoneme (though not all of them are useful for language). Similarly, every action a mage can use to channel magic constitutes a Pheme (though not all of them are useful for spellcasting).

I think that they're like runes drawn with the tip of the wand.

What is a Palette in the context of spellcasting? I doubt it is an actual physical object to draw Phemes upon, not from the descriptions of magic we get from events and adventures.

The way I visualise it, a Wizard first summons a Palette: an insubstantial, glowing-bordered board of sorts, on which Phemes: glowing glyphs: are drawn by the tip of a wand or finger or whatever.

The Palette is a three dimensional space (usually spherical) on which a wizard inscribes their Phemes. All Palettes have a border, which define both the kinds of Spells its suited for, as well as its physical manifestation. The most basic Palette has a light internal glow which serves to illuminate the Phemes drawn within it, but does not cast light beyond its border. There are many other types, however, although they probably won't appear explicitly in the game until Year 3.

• 3 weeks later...

How can we calculte the added difficulty we are adding to a spell when adding an extra Pheme and what role does the 0-9 have on it? and is there an extra difficulty for each Pheme added to it. I once casted a spell the had a long duration and added about 4 or 5 Phemes [is that the Plural?]. Wish I remembered it.

We are hijacking the thread a bit but I think we got the other questions closed, so:

How to calculate the difficulty of the spell (with and without phemes):

Your skill(that the spell makes a roll on) + random # between 1 and 2*attribute (that the spell also mentions) should be >/= Difficulty of Spell + difficulty of phemes.

As example: You got 12 Revision, your finesse is 3 and you want to cast Dirty Tricks(full description below).

Here the numbers are put into the 'equation' above.

12 + (1 to 2*3) Should be higher or equal to the difficulty of the spell + difficulty of phemes.

Your roll is then from 13 to 18. Difficulty for Dirty Tricks is naturally 4. If you want to add some phemes then you should take care that the pheme difficulty (again, these are mentioned in the pheme discription) does not exceed (13 to 18) - 4 = 9 to 14

If you wanna live life safe then do not add more than 9 points worth of pheme difficulty, or if you feel exceedingly lucky then add 14.

Each time you add a pheme the difficulty increases, but it doesn't matter how long the spell in question lasts.

With 9 free difficulty points to spend you can add 3 Air phemes (each have a difficulty of 3) or 1 Flame pheme(difficulty of 6) and 1 Air pheme - or something completely up to you. You can of cause add more phemes (thus more difficulty) but the chance of succeeding will be lowered.

Dirty Tricks, (difficulty of Finesse/revision v. 4); (1 to 2*2(your finesse score)) + 12(Your Revision skill)+4(from casting the spell at the Revision stone) v. 4

For easy lookup - try the Academagia Wiki (we sadly haven't added Dirty Tricks yet... one of these days...)

• 2 weeks later...
We are hijacking the thread a bit but I think we got the other questions closed, so:

How to calculate the difficulty of the spell (with and without phemes):

Your skill(that the spell makes a roll on) + random # between 1 and 2*attribute (that the spell also mentions) should be >/= Difficulty of Spell + difficulty of phemes.

As example: You got 12 Revision, your finesse is 3 and you want to cast Dirty Tricks(full description below).

Here the numbers are put into the 'equation' above.

12 + (1 to 2*3) Should be higher or equal to the difficulty of the spell + difficulty of phemes.

Your roll is then from 13 to 18. Difficulty for Dirty Tricks is naturally 4. If you want to add some phemes then you should take care that the pheme difficulty (again, these are mentioned in the pheme discription) does not exceed (13 to 18) - 4 = 9 to 14

If you wanna live life safe then do not add more than 9 points worth of pheme difficulty, or if you feel exceedingly lucky then add 14.

Each time you add a pheme the difficulty increases, but it doesn't matter how long the spell in question lasts.

With 9 free difficulty points to spend you can add 3 Air phemes (each have a difficulty of 3) or 1 Flame pheme(difficulty of 6) and 1 Air pheme - or something completely up to you. You can of cause add more phemes (thus more difficulty) but the chance of succeeding will be lowered.

Dirty Tricks, (difficulty of Finesse/revision v. 4); (1 to 2*2(your finesse score)) + 12(Your Revision skill)+4(from casting the spell at the Revision stone) v. 4

For easy lookup - try the Academagia Wiki (we sadly haven't added Dirty Tricks yet... one of these days...)

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I have been trying to figure out how the rolls work.

According to this post 12 + (1 to 2*3) Should be higher or equal to the difficulty of the spell + difficulty of phemes.

Shouldn't that mean the range of the roll is 15-18? 12 + (1 to 2*3). Also later in the post he says 1 to 2*2. lol which is it!?

Futhermore, the wiki says:

Roll: To succeed, a roll value of (Skill + (random value from 1 up to Attribute*2)) should be more than Difficulty.

So (using the same example), 12 + (1 to 3*2). So the range would be 14-18.

Are either of these correct or is it something else?

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I have been trying to figure out how the rolls work.

According to this post 12 + (1 to 2*3) Should be higher or equal to the difficulty of the spell + difficulty of phemes.

Shouldn't that mean the range of the roll is 15-18? 12 + (1 to 2*3). Also later in the post he says 1 to 2*2. lol which is it!?

Futhermore, the wiki says:

Roll: To succeed, a roll value of (Skill + (random value from 1 up to Attribute*2)) should be more than Difficulty.

So (using the same example), 12 + (1 to 3*2). So the range would be 14-18.

Are either of these correct or is it something else?

Your second is almost correct. The range would be from 13 to 18, as you would take 12 plus a random value between (one and [attribute of three] time two), which is a value from one to six.

Also, keep in mind there is the possibility of some other factor affecting the outcome. Legate has always mentioned that there can be other invisible values in the formula, but what you have above is the basic values involved.

Archived