Black Chicken Studios Forums

High Tech and Low Life

Any chance of mouse support?

What do think about throwing in some roguelike RPG type exploration, using maps in ascii style?

Seriously, what do you have against graphics? Or at least seperating the console into a three column format or something?

Mhm, mouse is not totally out of the question, although console mouse is rather painful to use :). Hotkeys would work better most of the times.

ASCII maps and exploration are already supported as well :). Also several types of combat - Fallout-style AP-based with a map and turn-based without moving around while in combat (A'la Wizardry or Final Fantasy series).

Graphics: too much hassle. Pain to implement support, pain to create all the assets. I won't be doing it for certain, so it's only possible if someone volunteers to do it and also migrate all my menu stuff to graphical output (since those menus are used everywhere).

What do you mean by three column format? In theory, I can try utilizing something different than default 80x25 console, although I'd prefer not too - text looks the best while it's 80x25.

ASCII maps and exploration are already supported as well :). Also several types of combat - Fallout-style AP-based with a map and turn-based without moving around while in combat (A'la Wizardry or Final Fantasy series).

Sounds fun, is it included in the demo?

Oh, and is there any kind of AI designed or implemented?

What do you mean by three column format? In theory, I can try utilizing something different than default 80x25 console, although I'd prefer not too - text looks the best while it's 80x25.

I was thinking stats on the left, main view area in the middle, and something informative on the right. A list of hotkeys or maybe a context sensative menu.

One last question, since its late for me and we've kinda derialed the thread a bit: is there a website or anything where I can watch development or discuss this further?

Sounds fun, is it included in the demo?

Oh, and is there any kind of AI designed or implemented?

I was thinking stats on the left, main view area in the middle, and something informative on the right. A list of hotkeys or maybe a context sensative menu.

One last question, since its late for me and we've kinda derialed the thread a bit: is there a website or anything where I can watch development or discuss this further?

1) Nope, not in this demo. I was developing it for a different game, but it integrates seamlessly.

2) Rudimentary one. Run towards the player and attack. More difficult ones can be developed when real game variables kick in (morale, loyalty, intelligence etc.)

3) Ah, three column view in such sense is completely supported already, as long as columns are not too wide.

4) Nope, I've been under the radars for a long time already. Perhaps we should move to the PMs? Also, we can communicate through Skype, GoogleTalk or ICQ, whichever service you prefer.

4) Nope, I've been under the radars for a long time already. Perhaps we should move to the PMs? Also, we can communicate through Skype, GoogleTalk or ICQ, whichever service you prefer.

PM it is then, I'll contact you tomorrow.

Back to the Topic:

What do people want to see their Cyberware do? Simple augmentations like thermo-graphic eyes that Expand Insight? Or more complex, situational stats like maybe a Thermo-graphic Vision trait that pops up in adventures as an investigation, allowing you to see someone leaning against a door listening to you, or to negate the difficulty of seeing through smoke?

What do people want to see their Cyberware do? Simple augmentations like thermo-graphic eyes that Expand Insight? Or more complex, situational stats like maybe a Thermo-graphic Vision trait that pops up in adventures as an investigation, allowing you to see someone leaning against a door listening to you, or to negate the difficulty of seeing through smoke?

Both, and simple augmentation that boost a skill like climb rank 1-->10 with spider leg.

Don't know much about shadowrun so I can't contribute much...

I whant to have the Essence and linked Magic Attribute that drop as soon your implanting Cyberware. So that its allways a big choise what kind of cyberware you get implanted because you have to deal permanent with the lost in Essence and if your be able to cast Spells its even worse because you loose part of your Magic abilitys.

For Implantats I whant to have some kind of Initative Enhancer because that what made the big diverence betwean a non Cyborg and a Cyborg in Shadowrun also the linking betwean Human and Machine especial Vehicles was something where Cyborgs where good.

On of the most easy Implants to get into Academagice are the Implanted Weapons because you simly give the action without using a Handslot.

For Quality I want to have at last used, standard Fabric wear, adaptable Fabric wear and special grown and adapted cyberwear.

Schwarzbart;

I can't guarantee how effective initiative will be, since I suspect most combat will take place in adventures, so it's up to the writer. The best I can do is link most of the Combat skills to Finesse and Expand that through Cyberware. This may change if Year 2 comes out with a huge and fleshy monster combat system, or if I migrate to Elwin's surprisingly flexible engine.

Good call on the implanted weapons. For drones I was thinking of having a vehicle skill and a programming skill that could be divided for drones, or Matrix skills could provide a bonus to Vehicle skills if you had a datajack.

Quality is certainly doable, but what do you mean by Fabric wear?

Everyone;

Had an idea: how about a hybrid system wear a one-shot action installs the basic cyber-wear, like a limb or internal computer, and spaces on the inventory screen are enabled that allow interchangeable accessories, like a weapon or wireless uplink?

Had an idea: how about a hybrid system wear a one-shot action installs the basic cyber-wear, like a limb or internal computer, and spaces on the inventory screen are enabled that allow interchangeable accessories, like a weapon or wireless uplink?

One shot stuff is good, cheap and gets the job done.

Speaking of inventory space, how about certain equipment slot can only be unlocked through surgeries?

Speaking of inventory space, how about certain equipment slot can only be unlocked through surgeries?

I still have to experiment with this, but I think inventory spaces may be hard coded in Year 1. Thats not to say that certain existing spaces can't start as disabled (or more accurately, all the items for a slot require the surgery before they can be used).

Year 2 and Elwin may not have this limitation though.

Overall, very doable.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been here much.

Let's make this official: The Shadowrun mod is on hiatus.

It's the same old reasons for any hiatus: time, money and hardware failure. A few months ago a virus trashed my system, I lost a hell of lot of data, including all the work I'd put into the mod. In addition I'm juggling my time between work, study, Elwin's game, and general living, there's not enough room to fit the Shadowrun mod in there. Give it a few years, I might come back.

If it's any consolation, development using the engine Elwin invented is continuing. It's been dubbed the Transient project, hosted on Sourceforge, but its still at the pre-alpha and design stages so there's no public demo. We are looking for new members though, so if you like dark fantasy-cyber-urban-horror fiction, or want to stretch your dev muscles on the forum, go here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/transient/

[/end shameless advertising]

Archived