Black Chicken Studios Forums

Perpetual Compatibility

89157Z

It has been described that if we use the mod publishing process, the lengthy cross-check that it does ensures that mods do not need to be remade for future patches/DLCs/etc. Comparatively, the faster 'publish as official content' process does not guarantee future compatibility. Am I understanding this situation correctly?

I wish to inquire as to how it is that mods are made future-compatible. Indeed, I wish to inquire how mod compatibility is handled in general. What happens, for example, if a mod flatly contradicts published content? I'm working tonight on a mod. It's not terribly ambitious. I'm only modifying the backgrounds available at character creation. However, in the process, I've removed some of them entirely. How will this conflict be handled?

There are other questions that can be made as well, to be sure, though while I am in the midst of working on this mod no others yet occur to me. A general process overview would be appreciated and would help in forming further queries.

Ah, thanks to both of you for asking and answering that question. I had the exact one, and was getting discouraged that all work done would have to be redone each time the game got updated. And if I am understanding right, mods placed at the bottom take priority and thus will overwrite anything the mods above do if there are conflicts between them. If so, then that's awesome, it certainly would motivate me to continue modding.

Archived