Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

But how are they worked into spells? Do I draw the Border, thereby defining the Palette, sketch the Phemes and think really hard of the Ideal of a clean shirt? Or is the Ideal defined by the combination of Phemes? But there are spells that use exactly the same Phemes, those would have to be cast with different Ideals, unless there is a third factor that I'm missing... Or are Ideals defined by the Palette/Border?

I'm sorry, but this is very interesting :)

Ideals are usually considered to be a class or sub-set of Phemes. In many ways, you can consider any Pheme to be an Ideal, although it's a bit more complicated than that.

To answer your question, the Ideal or Ideals is specified by a Link, which I think you won't see until Year 3.

And, no problem, Cyx. We find it terribly interesting, too, obviously. :)

Ah, so the spells they learn in first year - a cleaning spell for example :) - are not just made up by Phemes and Border, but parts - like a general cleanliness Ideal - that they learn in class, but they don't understand the concept behind it, meaning they must be careful not to change anything? That would explain why Ideals are never mentioned in Year One.

But if that's correct, what would happen if someone just drew up a Border/Palette and sketched Phemes within it without any linking Ideal? Would his creation just blow up in his face?

So the game mechanic of adding Phemes only works if the core Phemes of the spell are linked by an Ideal? Would those added Phemes need to be connected the core Phemes somehow, or could one just sketch those anywhere within the Palette?

You're planning on teasing us with new info every year, aren't you?

How cruel.... :(

Anyway... Would there be an example of spells that cross the line of legality depending on the ideal? Or is it strictly phemes?

So the first year student do know how to link extra Phemes into a spell, it just won't be explained until Year Three?

Moving on, how does Negation work exactly? Does one negate the specific spell coming at them (Negate Spell: Throw Lightning), the general effect of the spell (Negating all lightning based spells), or would Negation in a duel consist of multi-purpose shields of varying quality?

Imagine, if you will, You want to magically deal with rain.

•  
  • A specific negation spell would be like having an umbrella.
  • A general negation would be like holding a manhole over your head.

Yeah they can both protect you from the rain but the manhole really wasn't designed to be used in that specific way so you wind up with still getting a little wet because of its shape and tired because it's heavy.

Well yes, but if you use a specific Negation, you know what you are facing; and I would think that that would make negating the spell both easier and more powerful, but at the same time less useful in duels, where your opponent is likely to use spells you have never heard of.

But maybe I am overthinking this.