Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1.) is there any legends or references to dragons entering an undead state? Do educated wizards consider such a thing possible?

2.) How impressive would it actually be considered to get a final exam score of 120+ on all enrolled subjects? Mechanics wise it's not too difficult but I'm kind of curious how that would be seen world wise.

3.) What's the average lifespan of an average wizard?

4.) How difficult would it be to use revision to remove poison out of someone's body?

5.) Since we know lichdom is possible and vampires exist. What is the succession policy in cases where a noble becomes one? Are their heirs just kind of out of luck?

Conversely, would there be serious consequences to getting a 40 as a final mark in a subject? is there any plan to implement such consequences in Y2 for PCs and NPCs?

On a lighter note, how do courses choose to accept or reject students who try to take them as elective courses? I imagine, for example, that Athletics may be seen as an easy course by students who are not intellectually inclined or disciplined, yet the fact that Prudence Cossins in not in it despite her love of fighting and disdain for discipline makes me think that there must be either some reason in character for her not to have taken athletics or the athletics course must have a way to exclude certain students. Would that be a lottery? discretion of professor? some reason related to game balance that has no in game explanation? :)

Hopeluv;

1) While it's certainly possible to 'animate' bones, there aren't any legends surrounding dragons and undeath in the sense you mean.

2) It would definitely more than demonstrate competence in the subject, maybe cause the Player to be looked at as a rising talent.

3) About a century.

4) Not impossible, but certainly a complex undertaking.

5) They are considered to have died, for the purposes of inheritance law.

Rhialto;

There are indeed consequences...;)

That's an in character reason- although it's possible for an Instructor to refuse entry to a Student, it's essentially unknown.

I don't know if anyone plays GW2, but is the size of a dragon like Jormag big or...? Or maybe like that elder dragon from how to train your dragon big? I may be eleven, but I am Dovahkiid, dragon slayer! And aspiring lute player... *achem*

So honestly, what's stopping the dragons from messing up our floating island "paradise"? [Redacted] lives on campus and you "retrieve" [redacted] from bullies. Then [redacted] comes looking for [redacted]. So that means that those above a certain skill level can move about freely, so what's stopping droggo's from attacking?

So sounds like the dragons have a pretty advanced civilization with a heirarchy. Can you shed any light on it? Do they have leaders or representatives? Are they a DEMOCRACY?

Plot twist the Praetextia was made by dragons everybody. Elumianati confirmed

Actually, Legate, Since using magic in Y1 class exams is encouraged, I'm curious what a score of 200 and 300 would bring for all class grades. lore-wise, of course.

Ooh, and while on the subject of grades, can you tell us what grading style was used on Mastery and Gates classes pre-ban?

Oh, and how does Schohanwicht measure competency? 

IIRC nothing special happens to the PC if s/he fails to get invited into Schohanwicht, even though by that point you've been at the actual school itself, so to some degree it depends on the offence.

If you've done something real bad, though? The school adopts a Scorched Earth policy on the student on his/her immediate family. Needless to say that never being heard from again is actually quite simple when the people you've ticked off can banish you to the void between dimensions...or some such.

1) Will the Bound Adventure from Miranda if you finished it help you get entry to Durand and Class that require certain knowledge in Botany even if your bad at it?

2) Is there a reason why the Bond Adventure from Miranda don't give a reduction in CoD despite the char learn a powerful way to become invisible?

I have a few questions regarding Astrology.

First of all, what exactly gets taught in Year one? I've read a few lores, but they are bedtime stories, Bargolis' ramblings, or seemingly unrelated stories about demons that become stars (Well, not entirely unrelated, but I doubt that's part of the curriculum). So what is the current theory on what the planets represent, what do pupils actually learn in class? Just the names and movement of planets? Zodiac signs and their significance? Finding items?

How relevant is Astrology in the daily life of an average Minetan, what do they think of it?

How often do horoscopes made by a wizard come true? How often do those made by a First Year work?

Also, why is it called the Erevard Equation? Who was Erevard, what does he have to do with Arcana (Or Courts, I think they're called?)

Cyx: If you research Astronomy, you get a series of lores telling about the tension between scientific and religious explanations for the heavenly bodies. There are even those who go into outer space through magic (and are called astronauts, IIRC).

A question of my own: Does the Special Summoning spell physically mark its participants, either routinely or occasionally? I initially misread it to be about summoning a type of familiar, but even within the correct understanding, in which a being is being contacted, I wonder: have there ever been mishaps, even fatal with the being being contacted?

Schwarzbart;

1) Will the Bound Adventure from Miranda if you finished it help you get entry to Durand and Class that require certain knowledge in Botany even if your bad at it?

I don't believe so, although that's not a bad idea!

2) Is there a reason why the Bond Adventure from Miranda don't give a reduction in CoD despite the char learn a powerful way to become invisible?

I don't think so- the Team possibly didn't think of it in that way. A decent suggestion!

Rhialto;

I don't *think* it marks the participants physically.

1. Are there any professors known to be in a relationship with another? And what is the Academy's policy towards professors dating one another? ;)

2. As an omni-disciplinarian, I am worried about my ability to get accepted into classes for higher-tiered magic because of a lack of prerequisite classes being taken. Since I've taken Incantation, Revision, Glamour and Negation classes, can I expect a lot of a hassle taking classes in Astrology and  Enchantment in Y2? Even if I know the Y1 material well? I know you said that there are limits to competency tests.

3. Are there any rules for Airships flying over cities like Mineta? No-fly zones, or don't stop moving until you're clear of the big buildings?

4. In the era when Mastery was not banned outright, what were the limits that a powerful wizard could get away with? Surely they couldn't just take over a whole town and not expect SOMEBODY to eventually take notice and try to kill said wizard.. :) Surely there were laws against simply Mastering someone into unpleasant servitude even then... Right?

5. Can you ask the team to explain the Temptation of Gates emotion? I understand that it's a mechanical way to explain what a player might see. I'm hoping that they can explain what the 'paths' are that the emotion talks about, at least from the player's perspective. The understanding that I have is like in the Road runner cartoons where the Coyote paints a tunnel on the rock. It looks real but when he tries to chase the road runner through it he is reminded that there is a rock there. Is it kind of like that or more ethereal and obviously not something to be mistaken for a real path to go down? (and how loud can the voices be, do they appear to be random or in contact with the player? Can the player talk back? [when nobody's looking of course, haha])

6. Since the Legate is always in demand, I have to ask if he hasn't ever invented a Glamour for creating an image of himself that would have a certain number of set phrases to say based on who he needed it to distract for a while? "Uh-huh", "That's Terrible", "I see..." And then a pre-scripted second illusion of a person coming up to whisper in the fake Orsi's ear, and then a quick apology and Poof. By then the real legate would be miles away.

7. If someone did the unthinkable and Gated a Dragon to the Imperial Palace, would the Dragon appreciate the Irony?

Free, Roni & S;

1. Are there any professors known to be in a relationship with another? And what is the Academy's policy towards professors dating one another? ;)

I believe this one has been answered: Instructors keep a tight lid on their personal lives, and any rules governing them aren't widely known. You'll have to find out in game. ;)

2. As an omni-disciplinarian, I am worried about my ability to get accepted into classes for higher-tiered magic because of a lack of prerequisite classes being taken. Since I've taken Incantation, Revision, Glamour and Negation classes, can I expect a lot of a hassle taking classes in Astrology and  Enchantment in Y2? Even if I know the Y1 material well? I know you said that there are limits to competency tests.

The limits are around Relationships with the Instructors...

3. Are there any rules for Airships flying over cities like Mineta? No-fly zones, or don't stop moving until you're clear of the big buildings?

You aren't able to fly over the Upper City without a special license- port rules are fairly strict elsewhere, and subject to specific paths.

4. In the era when Mastery was not banned outright, what were the limits that a powerful wizard could get away with? Surely they couldn't just take over a whole town and not expect SOMEBODY to eventually take notice and try to kill said wizard.. :) Surely there were laws against simply Mastering someone into unpleasant servitude even then... Right?

The laws were always fairly strict- this is in part why there are many tools to investigate this form of magic.

5. Can you ask the team to explain the Temptation of Gates emotion? I understand that it's a mechanical way to explain what a player might see. I'm hoping that they can explain what the 'paths' are that the emotion talks about, at least from the player's perspective. The understanding that I have is like in the Road runner cartoons where the Coyote paints a tunnel on the rock. It looks real but when he tries to chase the road runner through it he is reminded that there is a rock there. Is it kind of like that or more ethereal and obviously not something to be mistaken for a real path to go down? (and how loud can the voices be, do they appear to be random or in contact with the player? Can the player talk back? [when nobody's looking of course, haha])

I'll have to ask if they want to reveal more. :)

6. Since the Legate is always in demand, I have to ask if he hasn't ever invented a Glamour for creating an image of himself that would have a certain number of set phrases to say based on who he needed it to distract for a while? "Uh-huh", "That's Terrible", "I see..." And then a pre-scripted second illusion of a person coming up to whisper in the fake Orsi's ear, and then a quick apology and Poof. By then the real legate would be miles away.

How do you know that's not the case?! How would you even know?!

7. If someone did the unthinkable and Gated a Dragon to the Imperial Palace, would the Dragon appreciate the Irony?

Definitely.

8. Do dragons have some sort of education system, or is magic just natural to them?

It's unknown. Ancient legends seem to indicate that they do have an education system.

9. Is still running Control carryover to year 2 for the remaining duration?

That is a good question. Currently no- I don't know if it's intended to carryover, though.

When the Schohanwicht School sends out acceptance letters, are the letters protected with glamours? and are readers expected to destroy the letters once they have been read? and is it possible to create glamour spells that will fade for only one person or similar triggers?