Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

In the absence of state regulation of apprenticeships, though, what is to prevent the teachings from including forbidden magics? After all, Briardi learned and implemented Mastery while an apprentice. The advantage of a centralized and/or regulated magical education system is that the content of the magics is easier to regulate. Is there a dedicated branch of government in the Empire of Man for tracking and eliminating forbidden magics? Could such a body even exist due to its growing decentralization/break-up and decay of central authority?

Speaking of the Empire of Man, would I be correct in thinking that the only thing preventing most regions outside Mineta from declaring independence is fear that neighbouring regions would use the pretext of loyally upholding the united Empire to invade the seceding state?

7 hours ago, Rhialto said:

In the absence of state regulation of apprenticeships, though, what is to prevent the teachings from including forbidden magics? After all, Briardi learned and implemented Mastery while an apprentice.

Wait... Whaaaat ! More plz.

7 hours ago, Rhialto said:

Speaking of the Empire of Man, would I be correct in thinking that the only thing preventing most regions outside Mineta from declaring independence is fear that neighbouring regions would use the pretext of loyally upholding the united Empire to invade the seceding state?

Probably has more to do with nobody caring. Seceding from a corpse does not bring any real benefit and is not worth any trouble even if minor.

38 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

@isadorbg: why have you not played as Durand ever? And yes, the answer to your question is given in that adventure.

Legate: Are there serious efforts to restore an Emperor?

Because I don't find it interesting. And because Vernin.

Durand and Godina are the only colleges I can't bring myself to play. It's like being in Hufflepuff if you know what I mean :P

1 hour ago, isadorbg said:

Oh right never played Durand. 

I guess appareances can be misleading.

Still wondering how she can end up as a regent instead of being... cloistered. Guess the answer is also in the adventure.

There's a line that goes:

‘For the deeds of the apprentice, the blame falls on the master’s shoulders.’

Which I assume has a lot to do with it. In any case, the senior staff of the Academagia (or at least Orsi and Briardi) seem to have a somewhat loose approach to enforcing the prohibition against gates and mastery so long as it seems like people did it for a good reason or there are extenuating circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that in another Durand exclusive adventure Briardi calls on Euneycia by name because she needs a few beasts summoned to her location. Right in front of a few of her students. "Loose" doesn't even begin to describe her approach to Gates and Mastery.

I'm pretty sure that in another Durand exclusive adventure Briardi calls on Euneycia by name because she needs a few beasts summoned to her location. Right in front of a few of her students. "Loose" doesn't even begin to describe her approach to Gates and Mastery.

Yes, the adventure you are thinking of is A Story About Pirates, if the player character is unable to secure transportation for Briardi's posse. But I assume that Briardi sincerely opposes both banned pillars precisely because of her experience with them and their practitioners.

27 minutes ago, dyrhet said:

Durand is almost literally Gryffindor though, gosh!!!

Err maybe if would be true if their only focus was Negation but they have botanic too which is hufflepuff copyright. Plus I would not bat an eye if Rowling included half of the Durand student in Hufflepuff as they fit neatly there.

The likes of Plafox, De Thiomines, Warrington, Gleyre and Niemella.

It's basically Hufflepuff in Gryffindor's clothing.

7 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

Yes, the adventure you are thinking of is A Story About Pirates, if the player character is unable to secure transportation for Briardi's posse. But I assume that Briardi sincerely opposes both banned pillars precisely because of her experience with them and their practitioners.

It does beg the question how she knows Euneycia , how can she find her: The people who can find her are only the people Euneycia wants to, and why she still consorts with criminals. Seems like Von Rupprecht has found a rival that is maybe more sketchy than he is.

Just now, isadorbg said:

It does beg the question how she knows Euneycia and why she still consorts with criminals. Seems like Von Rupprecht has found a rival that is maybe more sketchy than he is.

Well, at least Briardi does not abuse her power as a regent to protect and encourage criminals among her students, unlike von Rupprecht.

Von Rupprecht isn't the most sketchy person in the Academagia by a long shot, he's just the one most likely to stab you in the back, front, side, or from an abstract dimension that you can only perceive after five years of Gates study. In fact old VR shows off knowledge that's if not outright Gates and Mastery at least close to it (Professor von Rupprecht's Special Guest, IIRC).

5 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

Well, at least Briardi does not abuse her power as a regent to protect and encourage criminals among her students, unlike von Rupprecht.

Can't say I agree. The level of "criminal" we are talking here are not remotely on the same level.

for a irl reference it's like Briardi knew(and probably protect to some degree) a world famous terrorist or to be more accurate, a scholar that has lot of influence in terrorist organisations/ideologies while Von Rupprecht protects bad student of his college.

One is clearly worse than the other.

Skirting the line between gates/mastery and not-gates/not-mastery seems more common than one might think; glamour and revision are prone to cross-overs in this regard, and Tabin allegedly used herbs to induce a state of hyper-suggestibility in his foes in a way that would be gates were no herbs involved.

@Legate of Mineta: You can tell the team that they have created a quality setting and characters to generate such debate. :) Would you be willing to answer my other questions?

1. In the absence of state regulation of apprenticeships, though, what is to prevent the teachings from including forbidden magics? After all, Briardi learned and implemented Mastery while an apprentice.

2. Is there a dedicated branch of government in the Empire of Man for tracking and eliminating forbidden magics? Could such a body even exist due to its growing decentralization/break-up and decay of central authority?

3. Speaking of the Empire of Man, would I be correct in thinking that the only thing preventing most regions outside Mineta from declaring independence is fear that neighbouring regions would use the pretext of loyally upholding the united Empire to invade the seceding state?

Rhi;

1) Nothing strictly prevents it, but the penalties are so draconian, it is generally avoided.

2) No. That doesn't mean there are other organizations, some of which you can read about in the Lores, though.

3) I wouldn't say that's the only thing, no, although certainly that was more true than false centuries ago.