Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. How difficult is it to create a magical field to detect lying using negation magic? would it be something that a 2nd year student could do?

2. Are enchanted lie-detectors known and used? what about in courts?

3. Is it possible and legal (so, no mastery) to create a magical field that silences people who are about to speak lies?

A, so equivocation, etc.

1. What would be the minimum age at which a person could launch a civil suit in Mineta?

2. How common are unrepresented litigants?

3. Must one be a lawyer in Mineta to represent clients, or could litigants hire experts in the law (or seeming experts in the law) who are not formal lawyers?

Rhi;

1) No minimum.

2) Very common.

3) There is no special need to be represented by a lawyer, but:

i) Which Court will hear your case may have such requirements.

ii) A Court may or may not choose to adjudicate a case. It is entirely possible to have a complaint which no Court will address- and is frequently the case, based on status and wealth.

I'm planning a Let's Play with a character who's from Zsolta, so any information about that would be great.

Where's Zsolta, and what kind of culture would they have? ( I'm guessing Hungarian and I'm sorry if I failed to see it on the map, it's sort of low resolution )

How big of a problem would having studied as a Purple Wizard of Thei would be, considering the casting penalty? It feels like it could be crippling to an aspiring wizard.

@Legate of Mineta

1. Why are people who are abducted into ship service said to be Cassetta'd? Is Cassetta a very poor region with many sailors/aeronauts?

2. Zoe Melis's adventure makes reference to her leaving hairs around her often. Is this meant to be a symptom of her illness?

3. Is there in Mineta any equivalent to benefit of clergy? Can it be used (or abused) by nonclergy?

4. Is there a tradition, in Auncesay and/or Mineta, of public penances as an alternative to/in addition to criminal charges?

@Legate of Mineta

1. Is the stereotype about Cassettan press-gangs related to any stereotypes about Cassettan poverty/seediness/non-Elumian-ness?

2. Although officially, Gates and Mastery are equally bad, in practice would most Minetans be more comfortable with gates magic than mastery magic?

3. The Beast-Taming Crystal is strongly associated with gates magic, yet it weakens creatures. Is this achieved through summoning spirits to attack nearby creatures?

1. At least partially, for certain.

2. [redacted] But frankly, you need to remember that Gates is more feared for it's complicated, somewhat accidental, and occasionally stupendously frightful side effects. hyper-lethal monsters. horrific plagues. Whole sections of real estate being torn asunder from the sky. In some respects you can safely say Gates is the more frightening of the two illegal pillars.

3.Several Gates items (like the Taxidermist's pin, look it up) were designed to physically restrain monsters so that they could be more safely worked on. (maybe even taken apart and completely reworked) Exactly how this worked is [redacted] but it probably has something to do with distorting the connection between the body and the spirit inhabiting it.

Can Revision (or Incantation's matter creation) be used to modify or create ingredients in later year Potions making?

I'm kind of expecting a no, given that so far we have a Brew boosting Glamour that improves your understanding of what substances you are working with, another Glamour that improves cooking (but not potions) ingredient properties, a Revision that improves your entire clique's senses including a boost when cooking (but nadda for Brew), another Revision for cooking that really feels like it should be an ability given that it uses the Recipes skill for the roll and amounts to making sure you're using the right temperature, and finally a dating-centric Glamour that uses the romantic language for the roll and can boost cooking among other things. Aside from those Year 1 spell examples suggesting probably not, iirc Harry Potter did specify that Transfiguration couldn't produce potions ingredients as part of its laws of magic, so this wouldn't even be without precedent.

IIRC, given how magic usually interacts in Academagia, I actually would say it's at least theoretically possible. Probably impractical, maybe to the point of being effectively impossible, but in theory, possible. Does make me wonder how potion ingredients were collected during Gates' days, though. Too many people displacing, not enough people actually cultivating, did that ever end up causing problems?

The problem with revision is general that it wear off after some time and so the potion might have to be used within a smaller time window then with normal components.

There is also the problem with Pheme interaction if you use 2 or more magical modified ingredients. 

Hmmm that could be an event for next year potions, the player bought some cheap components that where actual changed with revision and so the player have to handle the chaos from the Pheme interaction that happen during brewing a potion.

• 2 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta: Some more questions:

1. What would the legal reaction be if someone were to discover an apparently credible account of dragons using or even comprehending astrology?

2. I have long thought that Prudence's courses for Y1 are inappropriate to her interests (but you have assured me that there is an in-story reason), but how did she gain such knowledge of incantation magic? is she, like many PCs whom I play, enrolled in Contu's school?

3. Would it be illegal to try to breed wyverns and other magical lizards similar to dragons to make them more like dragons, except domesticated by humans?

4. Gates magic cannot summon humans, but can it summon dragons?

5. Is there a form of magic that will not work on dragons but will work on humans (aside from mastery)?

6. Were feys enslaved by dragons as well?

7. Has there ever been a movement to prohibit humans from using fey magics?

8. Are feys bound by the laws of the Empire of Man?

9. When a dragon was a human's familiar, was there much research done about his capabilities (and by extension those of all dragons)?

Rhi;

1) You'd have to find out. :)

2) If she is, it's not common knowledge.

3) While there's unlikely a specific law prohibiting that, there are certainly many laws prohibiting or regulating the breeding of creatures. This would likely fall under one of those. :)

4) [Redacted]!

5) If there is, it is unknown.

6) Yes.

7) No, at least, not to my knowledge.

8) Depends on who you ask. :)

9) [Redacted]

@Metis: I am aware that Mastery works on Dragons, albeit only with great skill by the human caster and (presumably) weakness from the dragon.

@Legate of Mineta: 1. Were dragons more easily able to use mastery on each other than humans were able to use mastery against dragons?

2. Is there speculation about the use of enchantment magic to emulate all of the effects of Gates magic without the whole summoning spirits aspect? Would such a use of enchantment be legal?