Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

As far as I recall your attendance rate in Y1 is either perfect or irrelevant as far as Y2 is concerned. But what classes you've taken, your exam scores and how many times you've gotten detention for skipping classes (actually getting caught, mind you, not just skipping), among other things, all do matter insofar as what options for classes, both normal and advanced, will be open to you in Y2.

Incidentally, classes in Y1 teach an average of 0.9 to 1.2 SS per Attend Classes action depending on your classload. Yes, a theoretical method of spamming Train instead of attending classes for ten months would, if only rarely, be considered "power gaming". Classes in Y1 are kinda awful.

Ahh, right. I meant no offense with my comment. I do contract QA work for local indy dev companies in my area, so I sort of cant view a game the same way anymore. Its all numbers and values and what affects what and to what levels. Breaking and exploiting games to me is just like breathing, but it also can eat a lot of the fun because of that too.
 On the subject of QA tho, I noticed something, and not sure if this  is intended, or a bug. There are several classes that give 2 or more steps to a single skill. If the skill in question does not need more then one point to advance to the next rank, it seems that regardless of how many points that location gives, you only get one rank.
 Example - the three dive into X abilities give 2 ranks to a chosen subskill, yet in most cases, these subskills only require 1 point per rank, making that extra point much less useful.
 Is this intended? A limitation of the game engine? A bug?

1 hour ago, Crimson said:

Ahh, right. I meant no offense with my comment. I do contract QA work for local indy dev companies in my area, so I sort of cant view a game the same way anymore. Its all numbers and values and what affects what and to what levels. Breaking and exploiting games to me is just like breathing, but it also can eat a lot of the fun because of that too.
 On the subject of QA tho, I noticed something, and not sure if this  is intended, or a bug. There are several classes that give 2 or more steps to a single skill. If the skill in question does not need more then one point to advance to the next rank, it seems that regardless of how many points that location gives, you only get one rank.
 Example - the three dive into X abilities give 2 ranks to a chosen subskill, yet in most cases, these subskills only require 1 point per rank, making that extra point much less useful.
 Is this intended? A limitation of the game engine? A bug?

When Player characters have ability scores low enough, related subskills will require more than 1 rank (and there are some subskills, such as gambling, that will require 2 ranks per level regardless of ability score). In this context, abilities that all;ow training of multiple ranks are useful, even though for characters with higher ability score, such abilities are less useful.

• Like 1

1) Are there things that are in year 1 but are cut in year 2? (I.e. the passive location ability don't add much in most cases and I suspect that some things have to be cut over the 5 years or the game get to big)

2) Is year 2 allowing for certain spells to only work while near Academagia? I have a idea for a From Nothing Knowledge like spell for a year 1 mod that in year 2 shouldn't work outside of Mineta / Academagia.

A mercenary was imprisoned by the guards from Mineta because he killed the child of a noble and his friends within the city. The mercenary claims that he just attacked goblins that where aiming their bows at him. Now the question would there be a investigation if there was magic in play and how deep will this go or is the mercenary considered guilty of murder because it was him who have slain the noble?

(The glamour magic came actual from an one-use item that the mercenary bought from a mage and placed it him self in hope that this way he could get away with the murder he was tasked by a rival noble)

6 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

new skill cap will be around 21 but we need to unlock each single level past 10 via research, class or probably other ways.

Ahh that is good. Research right now is kinda...bland I guess would be the correct word for it? I like that idea.

Edit: Goodness... mastery lv10 is total control. What would lv20 be? Control the whole student body? lol

Mastery in Y2 I think is going to focus on refining your as-of-yet lacking ability to specify exactly what you want your puppet to do (or to who). "Total Control" is honestly quite a misnomer, since it's only really an improvement in terms of duration/chance to stick.

That said there are some rather silly Mastery spells coded into the game, but not actually used anywhere. They're...a thing.

That's one of the dummied out spells, though I was more thinking about the one that allows you to Control your entire Clique IIRC (can't remember the name of it). Sena's Afternoon Tea is also classified as part Mastery spell, although it's a Gates Methods and Satyric Revelry roll.

@Crimson: I assume, based upon my readings on this forum and in game, that more advanced mastery would involve mass-control and thought/skill transferal.

@Legate of Mineta: Speaking of mastery, I know that much about that pillar of magic is redacted in and out of universe. But I was wondering: given Orsi's (well-founded) fear that mastery could be used in dating, is there a relatively easy to find source of information in the school about trimes in which mastery has been used, how to detect mastery, etc.?

So it seems I am misunderstanding how phemes are rolled. I am wondering if someone could give me an idea on what the formula may be.
 I just added a large number of phemes to a spell, and they where all green, despite the fact that the spell DC I was casting had a high dc making it blue to me. Is each pheme rolled separately? if you add more then one of the same pheme, is the DC added together? So confused :P 

@Crimsonthe difficulty of the Pheme you add  to a spell increase the difficulty of the spell you cast. So if you cast a spell that have a difficulty of 6 and you add 3 Pheme with each having a difficulty of 4 you have to roll vs 18 instead of just 6. keep in mind that the roll is Skill + random (1 to 2*Attribute) what means if you have a high attribute it take a while till the difficulty becomes black or even red.

@Metis Your comment is only partial correct as some spells have multiple difficulty listed with the base effect having the lowest difficulty and with higher success you get better effects. For this spell the Pheme increase the difficulty for all effects but its enough to get the base effect to have the Pheme working.

I'm pretty sure the clique version of the Master spell is called Puppet Master.

I am fairly sure it is one of those spells that is juuuust beyond achievability for a 1st year talented in Mastery. If I recall correctly, all of it's phemes can be obtained, albeit with difficulty

I actually did not know that stacking Phemes on spells with multiple rolls worked that way.

Puppet Master is indeed the name, and looking at it in the mod tools I see that I remembered it wrong: The spell allows you to Control any Clique that isn't your own, actually. You also drain enough power from those you Control to get +2 to all your attributes for three days, albeit at a cost of -1 Ethics SL.

As for it's availability, the spell has a prerequisite of Mastery Methods => 16, so it's indeed second year material. That said you can indeed get all of it's require Phemes, admittedly through the Tapestry Room and the Headmaster's Office, since Historical Record and New Reality (respectively) aren't available elsewhere...as far as people know.