Adrian

A few in game questions

9,950 posts in this topic

what you want to say is that a craftsman can use the scarps for some unique items but as soon you need to make 2 or more of the same the scarps just won't do it?

@Legate of Mineta: 1. I was asking whether a mage may face legal action for deliberately forming a familiar bond with another person or animal whom a third party has an interest in. For example, if a greedy mage with great skill with the familiar bond were to want a certain horse, he/she might, I assume, bond with the horse as a familiar. Might the owner of the horse have a legal claim against the mage or the right to restrict how the mage uses the horse?

2. Familiar bonds formed in the womb? wow! I presume that they are very rare - am I right? Do any students at Academagia have such bonds?

3. How common is it for a student to arrive at Academagia with so little experience with magic as to have no familiar? It must happen sometimes - there are two ways in which the PC can be such a mage.

1) Ownership is not conferred by the Bond. In that case, the merchant would have a great reason to inflate the price. ;)

2) Very rare- you'd have to ask if anyone had such an early Bond.

3) Very rarely, but it does happen.

1) What year do you think we really can do conversation with the other students when you suggest "you'd have to ask"? ;) (Maybe at year 4 the number of student shrunk far enough that it might become a possibility but even then would the team add the answer to such questions ingame?)

@Legate of Mineta: I just finished writing a portion of an adventure in which the PC discusses magic-detecting and magic-measuring devices - basically like Geiger counters. I named the devices thaumatometers - from the roots thaumato (magic/wonder) and meter (a devices for measuring). Is this inconsistent with game lore?

I suspect such devices don't have specific names, given that it never came up in Y1 (as far as I can remember). Legate'll have to confirm/deny, though.

1 person likes this

I would go with something more fantastic sounding, such as a Katherbenbobble.

Because it would be so lore appropriate if a elder mage just made up a random name for it when calling one of his apprentices to retrieve it, and for some reason or other the name just stuck. :)

@freespace2dotcom: I prefer to use Latin or Greek based words for magical devices in my writings for Academagia, because the setting uses those languages for similar roles (albeit giving different names to the languages).

1) Is there a common term for people of "Asian" heritage in the Academagia setting? (I ask because of my Heritage: Eastern background)

2) Also is the Asian part of the world to the far east or in some different direction?

@Legate of Mineta: Some questions about Theatrical productions:

1. Would it be illegal to have a play in which a gates mage such as Aminþia Que’la is portrayed as villain?

2. Would it be legal in such a play to use glamour magic to simulate gates magic?

@Legate of Mineta: 1. Would I be correct in thinking that the ban on faking gates magic for the stage is due to fear, real or hypothetical, that gates mages would use such an opportunity to do real gates magic?

2. Do the better theatrical troupes have at least one glamour mage to help them with special effects?