Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

On 12/24/2018 at 9:01 PM, freespace2dotcom said:

Given that Y3 is an untold length of time away, I'd like to ask some questions about Y2's game mechanics. without going into too much detail.

1. You've  said that mixing magic will start to be seen in Y2, even though I'm sure we won't even touch the really advanced stuff yet. Will we get to see a little bit of what happens when Gates and Mastery magic is mixed together? (Assuming we put in the effort to do so, of course)

2. Even if we don't cast illegal spells in adventures, will a sufficiently high skill set cause us to have detectable auras? (I know this borders on redacted, but I figured, it would be nice to know how high one can get without seriously using the magic)

3. Will we have a more flexible system of punishments for those who skip classes? Like if you're habitual about missing class, you start getting demerits? I really feel that even if that's too harsh for every class, perhaps there would be one professor that would be notorious for doing so, and some professors don't care so long as you get good grades. Will something like that be implemented?

4. Regarding the mentor system. If we do become mentors, will we all get the same one student to mentor, (like Oan is always ours) or will there be a few that will be randomly chosen?

5. What can you tell us about what's left to do regarding the programming for Y2 to finally get it into our hands? (ignoring things like the save converter)

----------------------

Now, more lore questions.

6. Who was the youngest child to ever be accepted at the Academagia? I assume it's pretty standardized now, but given how long ago the school was founded, I supposed extraordinary circumstances caused some children under 10 to be considered at some point, even though due to the difficulty of learning magic, it wouldn't be wise to accept many of them too young.

7. Do professors generally frown on a student applying magical knowledge learned from other classes in their own, even if it is sufficiently applicable to the lesson that they're trying to teach?

8. Even after all this time, I still don't have a very good feel for Professor Ringraeyer, compared to almost all the other professors, whom stand out to me in at least one way.. (I think it's that she isn't in many adventures, especially compared to, say, Briardi, or Von Rupprecht. Plus the one major one I think of with her has her Mastered, so it is not a good bar to set for her personality normally.) Can you give me some insight as to what she would think of my desire to be an omni-disciplinarian?

9. Speaking of omni-disciplinarians,  the description of the Corner Sight spell says that none of it's phemes are particularly hard to draw, so it's very probable that it would be a much more common spell if not for having phemes which belong to several different pillars. As just about all spells cast as a first year are  pretty much given to us, with only a  little room given for experimenting within a single pillar, I'd like to ask what *could* happen if I started stringing other simple phemes from multiple pillars together, especially with no experience in how they might interact?

I suppose that the large amount of unknowns is a big part of the reason why Briardi would be so against a student being an omni in the first place. Are there any good stories about deceptively simple spells that can punch and backfire above their weight class due to belonging to different pillars?

Any news?

It has been a while since I played, but it seems the best way to raise study level without getting early detention is to use a combination of Study during the weekdays and The library of Vernaculium on Weekends. That way, you should be able to hit level 10 study in all of your classes by the end of the second month I think. Then you can focus on increasing your skills to at least level 5 so you can get good grades on the midterms. I wish there were easier ways to raise attributes early in the game, but there are none to my knowledge. What do you all think?

I just do not like how inefficient you have to be in the beginning. I know classes are optional, but if you skip too many you will get detention and you can miss out on some lore or random skill increases.

Study in the Venalicium Library (and Study in the Library of Longshade/Mantle of Stars/Manetele) isn't limited as it was pre-DLC 15 (I think?), you can spam it all day long and it'll work just fine. Befriending Zoe helps of course, as does Judge the Instructor's Tastes if you've got Research covered already.

As for attributes, you need to know what to look for. Clever use of Oan's tutorial can get you early access to Planning, which is basically +1 Insight and Intelligence early on, which helps a ton.

As for classes, yes, they're inefficient. But the stuff you learn in class isn't any different from the stuff you learn from studying yourself, so the only detriment to skipping classes is detention. And some potential later years stuff, but, eh, you can consider how to cross that bridge if and when someone is demonstrably able to get to it.

34 minutes ago, Metis said:

Study in the Venalicium Library (and Study in the Library of Longshade/Mantle of Stars/Manetele) isn't limited as it was pre-DLC 15 (I think?), you can spam it all day long and it'll work just fine. Befriending Zoe helps of course, as does Judge the Instructor's Tastes if you've got Research covered already.

As for attributes, you need to know what to look for. Clever use of Oan's tutorial can get you early access to Planning, which is basically +1 Insight and Intelligence early on, which helps a ton.

As for classes, yes, they're inefficient. But the stuff you learn in class isn't any different from the stuff you learn from studying yourself, so the only detriment to skipping classes is detention. And some potential later years stuff, but, eh, you can consider how to cross that bridge if and when someone is demonstrably able to get to it.

You cannot spam the libraries too much in one week. I know for me they disappear after I spam them over the weekend and then return a day or two later. But there is still the issue of how to skip class in a way as to not get too much detention. Getting detention every week hinders your performance and in my earliest games, I never skipped class and always attended them, except some of the exam week classes.

There is that, yes. Hence why I like to study on Thursday, since that way even if the ability goes I'll have it on the weekend.

As for skipping classes, there's nothing you can do about that other than save/reload, unfortunately. I do find it helps to only skip during exam months, since that's when classes learn nothing, and even if you skip two weeks in Cheimare, if you don't skip another class until Kaliri your base chance of getting caught will have decayed to 0 (or close to it).

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2018 at 6:47 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

there are several traditions that believe that whales were a benign form of water dragon.

Are traditions that believe in benign dragons (water or otherwise) strongly oppressed and condemned by the state religion and governments?

1 hour ago, Schwarzbart said:

Who say rich people can't own a family estate as well. I suspect the rich just can't own title and serf. 

Funny, as the Legate has already said that Emilia Strollin's father bought both title and estate.

Then again, rules don't matter much to those associated with College Aranaz. ❤️ 

I’ve been wondering what does it mean to be a saint?

what is a saint?

i played the adventure once discovered and Diavesque and I said yes to his offer to the make a pact but he said swear under the saint of cruel and wickid “forgot the saints name” or whatever. 

So just curious as what a saint actually is and if you could explain legate 

is their a saint of unlucky? A saint of lust? What are these saints gods? 

Wait a minite, so your saying only the new gods have saints and no other god have saints right?

if so then what new god gives a saint who is called saint of wicked and cruel power....

does the order of the religion hide these gods who are bad and make them disappear rom the original pantheon? Oh yeah could you tell me if their are evil gods.

@Raydestroyer there different religions all over the world, some pray to the dragons, some to the "old gods", but in the corner of the world where Academagia is if you start to public pray to gods different then the "new gods" you at last will get reeducated but more likely killed.

it is suspected that 

Diavesque is a Dragon who if this is true for sure not believe in the New Gods