Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Whats the official rulling when one duelant fail to apear to a aranged duel?

Do this count as automatical lost if (s)he is sick or in detention and can't apear to the duel?

How is this handled in year 1?

Given that in year 2 we have some time at the academy to pack, is it possible to declare a duel then or do you disable it till after the Summer break?

Free;

For your question:

"Well, with the obvious caveat that Cosetta Re and Prudence Cossins would have very different ideas about what constitutes a good role model, we're going to go with Serrica Eliana. She was first Legate (for all of two weeks) when she was eighteen years old, after liberating the school from the control of a would-be emperor named Caldino Fonta. She then went on to become an influential architect (a picture of her Torre di Rubino is actually still on the local coins in Ravinio) before returning to the Academy as Legate in her early forties (to clean up after a vampire infestation).

Unfortunately, she died within two years of her return, apparently poisoned by College Aranaz's regent of the time, Dario Stivale - though it was never proven in a court of law. But that really just means she never had a chance to screw up; history remembers her very warmly indeed. :)"

*gasp* That's kind of bittersweet.... I hadn't thought of campus politics as being so critical as to warrant poisonings. Yet more foreshadowing that the upcoming battle of influence between ol' Sixt and Orsi will be legendary. Probably because I'll be stuck foiling all the schemes behind the scenes...

I always thought it was vaguely dumb that you can arrange a duel that start in the summer where both of you could never attend.

"Hey let's scheldule fight ourselves to first blood in the middle of the summer where we are continents apart and have better things to do and we will tell ourselves we win by absent enemy!"

"Sounds good to me"

I am surprised that our lady legate had to be removed via poison though, surely a legate at her age could be disposed by more peaceful means. Or is it due to the period being really chaotic?

@freespace you know that Luck and to be at the right place at the right time is also part of the magic we learn even in year 1?

But even if the char was just the pawn moved by someone stronger he was the one who did the deciding blow and so he clearly got into the field view of other peoples.

Glory is a two edged sword and the more you get the more you might seen by strong players of the field of intrigue as oponent or at last as pawn they should try to move on theyr own.

Are you trying to say that prior to the undoing of Mjolnir, that your character knowingly altered their fate specifically concerning a potential meeting with him? And furthermore also happened to make the magic (specific magic, too, mind you!) I'll bet you that magic you speak of is Y4-5 stuff if not more advanced.

I think you are failing a bit to recognize the barrier between the player and the player character. We as players can stack the deck far more than the characters we play, for numerous reasons. At most, I would take that accomplishment with the understanding that you have potential, but all in all I would take the player character's abilities with a small grain of salt. I firmly believe that many factors in that short skirmish with Mjolnir were beyond the ability of even the brightest of astrology students to affect in any great meaningful way... Especially considering the way the story was written,

I expect that if you did use astrology, it would have only accounted for a small portion of the total luck you had to do so. hey sure maybe that made the difference, but, it wasn't all you.

That's my take on it, but I will of course defer to the legate.

You in return fail to see that the Luck the char haved in this encounter might not come from the char him self but i.e. from a New God or someone other real powerfull who didn't like the result of what Mjolnir try to do.

Even if the target of this powerfull Astrology Magic was Mjolnir it was the player who got the benefit of it and in return the Glory for defeating a powerfull Mage.

But no mater how this actual happened the result of it will bring the player char into the view of the powerfull players of the intrigue games running at Academagia.

This alone means trouble and more adventures for the char in the next years.

Edit: Or are you telling me that you wouldn't keep a eye on someone who just eliminated one of your powerfull rivals especial when you considerd him/ her as no treath so fare?

No, I caught that part.

but the point I was trying to make is that the player character has/had very little actual control over what happened there. Even assuming some spell WAS cast on one of you that evened the odds between you two, (A reasonable if in itself IMO, though perfectly possible given the dreams) your part in those events were small. Important, yes, but small.

and thus, the powerful characters might take notice of you, but only in an abstract way.

You are only one of many gears in the grandfather clock of doom to them.(lame analogy I know) a small one that rings the chimes. even if they take you out the clock itself will still run. In later years that will change, but I think you overplay the importance. The adventure itself hints that Mjolnir escaped, if I recall. How much of a real threat are you to a centuries old mage in year one? a roadblock? maybe, but a very short one, and there's probably another road right next to you.

Oh, can I get in on this?

I don't think it matters if it was luck or power. A mixture of both, sure, or just a lot of bad luck on Mjonir's part and calculations gone wrong. He might have a bruised pride and a desire to get back at us. None of us have any idea on the rumours that started after this and what the rest of the teachers have learned. Stories only grow in telling. Mjolnir could have tripped for all we're concerned. It's all rumour and conjecture. We, as players, know he might return, and that we will be involved. The character might know this too ( Cue song "Everything Happens to Me" by Dorsey and Sinatra).

And freespace, I think you're forgetting something that is true even for us little first years and any PC in any game, ever. We are all the Determinator (link to TvTropes missing because we would all lose precious, precious hours). Our characters might not be but we are. We will plan and train and magic and finally, cheat to get our way, just because we want to know what happens. You know how in D&D there's a saying "If it has stats, the players will kill it" ? So even if we are but a minor cog that everyone avoids, we will want a piece of that glory, we will go out of our way for it and at some point, if the team is so kind as to sneak around threats and means to achieve power, we will find it and we will grab it. So how much of a threat are we? Well, a fairly big one.

You know, in D&D its possible to have a lvl 30+ party, which does indeed slay almost anything. However, in the context of the story this is as if you are some deities reincarnated. Now, if we were to take our characters in this game and compare them to that, they might be some average lvl 5 journeyman or so. Not very noteworthy in and of itself. I am simply trying to make a distinction between the player and player character, 'tis all.

I'm all typed out now... *sigh*

Freespace and what difference do this make?

Its only about the deeds the player char managed to do!

This is represented in the Glory he gatered and of all the things we can do is defeating Mjolnir one of the moste notable.

I think you never played a Elder campaign full of intrigue in Vampier?

Otherwise you would know that as soon someone manage to even harm a other player of this game he automatic get awearness from all the player in this game even if just a puny human who not even was considered to be wort to be a pawn.

Especial with the history of Serrica Eliana wo did a similiar task as 18 year old this people immedatly will focuse theyr eyes on you.

For how long, who knows! That also depend if the char manage to do other crazy things and survive or not.

But one thing is sure after this adventure if you success the char will be at last now considered as pawn of one player of this game.

ah, well whatever. We're just gonna be spewing arguments until... A long time from now... :)

I see what you're saying but I just don't think the threshold has been reached. It's like in some games like fallout 3 where you steal a spoon (maybe even accidentally) and all of a sudden everyone hates you enough to shoot you dead. Its unrealistic to immediately assume that just because X is done that Y will happen, unless there's a good explanation. and right now we don't have enough information to say. You might be right, but I'm saying you might very well be wrong, too.

Let's just agree to disagree...

In D&D, I wasn't talking about parties of level 30 (I have never reached that in PnP, we stopped around 15 to keep it interesting) which is actually hard to reach (Larloch is level 32 and he's an Arch-Lich of Netheril...so we thought we'd keep it down).

I was thinking about Pun-Pun the kobold, if you've heard of him, who reaches divinity as a Divine Minion1/Wizard1/Master of Many Forms 3 or Nut-Pun, rank 1 Demigod Squirrel or an Ilithid with 5 ranks in Ilithid Savant...which brings me back to my point. You cannot beat the players. Even low-level players.

And yeah, there may be a difference, but seeing as there is precedent and that, say, by year four we may very be a master at, at least, two forms of magic - possibly illegal - and have several quite powerful allies, people will try to murder us. Tried to murder us in year one too.

Maybe got spoilt a little by the team. We defeated Mjolnir, got into a forbidden school and have a buddy-buddy relationship with one of three large figureheads of Mineta, saved the world a couple of times, annoyed some pretty large organizations or joined them.... Can we get more epic than that in later years? How epic? At the end some of our characters will have mobs after them, let alone people trying to poison them. And for some with more glory than most...well.

I have the feeling that many of our characters stepped into something that is going to be very very hard to control.