Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Ah, so I'm going to be going against the academic grain itself, then? haha! Well, in that case, I'll just force my way through! >:-)

1. Would students see me as a potential tutor for magic that they didn't themselves specialize in?

2. Seeing as how Gates related items are stable after their creation assuming the chaos factor doesn't interfere..... Does this also apply to one-time use spells created through Orthography?? What does the law say concerning this?

3. In what order were the colleges founded? (including the defunct ones)

4. Where can one learn more about the unique odd magics that Durand is so fond of learning about.

mmmm.... on 2...

...So Legate Orsi's robe is categorized on the darker shade of grey, then? What is the penalty for using such indirect Gates magic, (Orsi implies it's not quite equal) or even bearing witness to it and not saying anything, (which both you and Briardi also could get hammered with) especially for mages with such high respectable positions as they do? :(

I think Free is referring to "Carnage on the Fields" as where Orsi apparently uses Gates magic in the presence of the PC and Briardi--with 'grey robe' being a play on 'grey hat' (in old Westerns, white hats used to be a convenient way to identify the people who were sheriffs or otherwise 'lawful', with black hats used to signal bandits--so a 'grey hat' is someone who falls somewhere in the middle, and a 'darker grey' would be someone decidedly less interested in following the law for its own sake.)

mostly correct, nodergak. I was merely commenting that if the legate was using an illegal item, it would fall under a darker color of illegality regardless of his intentions. if so, what difference would there be between that and drawing the phemes directly.

Free;

The law is unevenly applied in this area- technically, Gates items are not illegal if they were enchanted in Elumia and of old manufacture, but that's not always easy to prove and their use is heavily frowned upon, not least because it could invite suspicion.

That he is using it in front of you is probably a sign of trust. Maybe you'll abuse that. :)

NEVER! <_<

Only Von Rupprecht himself could strong-arm me to betray that trust, and if he tries to get me to do so, well, he better not trust me, Because I might just turn the tables on him in a very unpleasant manner if I get the chance! :angry:

I'd imagine too that someone in a position as powerful as Orsi would be given some leeway, to the extent that the law provides--not that he's entirely immune from consequences, but I think Stephenin Pastis would be a lot more willing to believe that the Legate had a good reason for possessing and using an ancient Gates artifact than he would be for some random first year ("Some guy in the market gave them to me! I thought they were vitamins!")

Schwarzbart;

1) What is the most common reason that a new Legate for Academagia is chosen?

Good question! It's *usually* political, but not always. Sometimes it can be due to reasons of prestige or knowledge.

2) How long is a Legate of Academagia usually able to hold this position?

I don't know that there is an average, but generally 10+ years.

3) Or is this position given for the rest of his/her live?

No, they can (and usually are) replaced by the Regents.

Good, so Orso Orsi still have at last around 6 years what means our chars are already finished with the Academy when he might loose his place as Legate.

The Regents are somehow chosen by the people who pledge money to the Academy or did I get this wrong?

So a Student who manage to get a lot of money or have very wealthy parents might actual get some influence there?

1. I can understand phemes once belonging to mastery being recategorized to glamour, but revision, too? what is the logic behind that?

2. How does the Academagia hire run-of-the-mill professors?

3. I finally dug through the lores deep enough to understand the dispute between Aranaz and Durand. I must confess it almost seems childish, like two kids arguing over a simple toy. Oh sure, there's some symbolism there, but at it's core that's what it is. Anyway, It's my understanding that both the necklace and statue that exist in the college's common rooms are replicas, so where is the original?

4. Can you explain what Choris is? It seems used in lieu of the word "world" but if that is the case, why not use Cyve? or does Cyve refer to the surface only?

5. Are there any ruins of civilization on what's left of Monteon?

6. Do genies exist in setting?

7. What use is the enspell sub skill 'phemes'? Exactly how are they powerful? Is it their compatibility with all the pillars? The Enspell skill implies that all wizards would benefit from the knowledge, so I'm wondering.

8. What is the worst student-created Incantation-related disaster that the school has faced?

9. If familiars need to be non wizards to balance things, then how come some can cast magic?

10. Aminþia Que’la, The so- called mother of monsters who is said to someday return for battle. How old would she be if she were indeed alive?

Free;

1. I can understand phemes once belonging to mastery being recategorized to glamour, but revision, too? what is the logic behind that?

It would depend on the Pheme, but as with all sciences, understandings may change. Then again, they may not. :)

2. How does the Academagia hire run-of-the-mill professors?

As with Legates, only with more influence from monied sources.

3. I finally dug through the lores deep enough to understand the dispute between Aranaz and Durand. I must confess it almost seems childish, like two kids arguing over a simple toy. Oh sure, there's some symbolism there, but at it's core that's what it is. Anyway, It's my understanding that both the necklace and statue that exist in the college's common rooms are replicas, so where is the original?

Presumably on Cyve. And that...may not be the whole story. ;)

4. Can you explain what Choris is? It seems used in lieu of the word "world" but if that is the case, why not use Cyve? or does Cyve refer to the surface only?

Surface only.

5. Are there any ruins of civilization on what's left of Monteon?

No, not really.

6. Do genies exist in setting?

Certainly the people of Oursouk talk about djinn.

7. What use is the enspell sub skill 'phemes'? Exactly how are they powerful? Is it their compatibility with all the pillars? The Enspell skill implies that all wizards would benefit from the knowledge, so I'm wondering.

That describes a specific methodology of 'best practice' in drawing Phemes. I think it was discussed earlier, in another thread, but this Sub-Skill is probably deserving of another name.

8. What is the worst student-created Incantation-related disaster that the school has faced?

Haha! I will have to ask. :)

9. If familiars need to be non wizards to balance things, then how come some can cast magic?

They usually cast through their connection to their wizard. Some do have native magical abilities, though.

10. Aminþia Que’la, The so- called mother of monsters who is said to someday return for battle. How old would she be if she were indeed alive?

Tens of thousands of years? Her origins are shrouded.