Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Hey now, unless the whole buying and crafting is severely overhauled I likely won't touch it myself. But if the tools example doesn't work for you, then how about a place that's old and decrepit like the library of Longshade. If we tidied it in y1, then in y2 maybe we can 'organize' it to increase the knowledge gleamed from it. Getting more bonuses from areas. That's what I'm talking about. :)

A few Questions regarding Y2. I might have asked some of these earlier, but now that it is a lot closer I think it is time for some recapping, :rolleyes:

1. Since the last day of Y1 will be repeated, will we have a chance to repeat that day's actions at least? (referring to finishing an adventure.)

2. Since Y2 will accommodate saves from various versions of y1, I would like to ask how certain things like the slightly queasy effect will carry over to Y2. My char still has it as an ability. Will it need to be rested away?

3. Is it set in stone that characters without backgrounds specifying otherwise will have their family in Mineta itself? If so, shouldn't being able to visit our family on holidays be possible in theory even in Y1? (at least in y2)

4. Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty,Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, please tell us how to calculate our Y1 scores so we can finally determine if a save is bona fide candidate for Y2. I'm 99.9% certain I'm good but I need to remove all doubt! I SWEAR that if this comes out I won't bother you with question about Y2 until.... New years!

5. see #4. :(

Free;

1. Since the last day of Y1 will be repeated, will we have a chance to repeat that day's actions at least? (referring to finishing an adventure.)

Yes, but I would not count on finishing Adventures, as the Y1 Adventures aren't in Y2. It's possible you can, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

2. Since Y2 will accommodate saves from various versions of y1, I would like to ask how certain things like the slightly queasy effect will carry over to Y2. My char still has it as an ability. Will it need to be rested away?

No, I think those will be cleared. We'll see. :)

3. Is it set in stone that characters without backgrounds specifying otherwise will have their family in Mineta itself? If so, shouldn't being able to visit our family on holidays be possible in theory even in Y1? (at least in y2)

Yes, it will be Mineta. And yes, you could visit your family during the Holidays...but you didn't. What a terrible child you are. :)

4. Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty,Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, please tell us how to calculate our Y1 scores so we can finally determine if a save is bona fide candidate for Y2. I'm 99.9% certain I'm good but I need to remove all doubt! I SWEAR that if this comes out I won't bother you with question about Y2 until.... New years!

Your test scores? The information is already out there- you just have to do it manually once you know how your class is graded. I'm not sure which post that information is in, though.

5. see #4. :(

;)

Ah, no, it seems I was wrong. The grading information hasn't been released, although I could have sworn I responded with it sometime. It may have been a pm.

Here you go:

There are five types of grading styles:
Distribution.
A grading system which follows Council distribution absolutely. The grade is correlated precisely against the suggested distribution. This means that no matter how many Students score greater than 75%, they all receive First Class Honors. This is the second easiest grading system.
Hybrid Distribution.
A grading system which incorporates Council distributions on the Cardinalean curve. The Character is graded on the curve, but may not receive a grade that is higher than their test scores would have given them if they had been strictly correlated against the suggested distribution. This means that if they are in the top 10% of your curve, but scored less than 75%, they will not receive First Class Honors. This is the hardest grading system.
Curve.
A grading system which follows the Cardinalean curve. The Character is graded strictly on the curve. This means that if they are in the lowest 10% of the curve, they will fail, even if their percentage mark is very high. This is the second hardest grading system.
Hybrid Curve.
A grading system which incorporates Council distributions on the Cardinalean curve. The Character is graded on the curve, but they may receive the grade that their test scores would have given them if they had been strictly correlated against the suggested distribution, if that grade is higher than the one they received on the curve. This means that if the Character is in the lowest 10% of your curve, but scored more than 40%, they will not fail. This is the easiest grading system.
Pass/Not Pass.
A grading system for extracurricular subjects. The Character must have a Skill level of 5 in the appropriate Class Skill in order to Pass. Provided that they do not Skip Classes, they should automatically meet this requirement at the end of the Academic Year.

If it was up at one time, it was before I got here. I have no idea what that type of curve is, either. (I assume the Council distributions refers to simple percentage of what students got compared to the highest.) Perhaps the legate will be nice enough to show an example of the curve and or distribution.

Schwarzbart;

The philosopher, Cardinale, suggested a more stringent form of grading than the guidelines set out by the Praetexta Council. He felt that the Honors system was too fluid, and that a strict distribution of students (not grades) should determine Honors. He felt that competition should be the guiding principle, and that, if enshrined in the grading system, it would cause students to redouble their efforts. This system specified:
First Class Honors: Top 10% of Students
Upper Second Class Honors: Top 30% of Students
Lower Second Class Honors: Top 40% of Students
Third Class Honors: 10% of Students
Failure: 10% of Students
The Council distribution is different:
After the reforms of Nasica Maxima, the Academagia began grading its students based on system of three honors: First, Second and Third Class Honors. The Praetexta Council envisioned these Honors to be a representation of the grasp of the material by the Student. These Honors corresponded directly to a percentage value of points gained, out of a total of 100 points possible. This system specified:
First Class Honors: 75+%
Upper Second Class Honors: 60-74%
Lower Second Class Honors: 50-59%
Third Class Honors: 40-49%
Failure: 39-%

Hmm. Assuming that the top 10% 2.7 kids in Von Rupprecht's class is rounded down to 2 in order to round everything else smoothly...

It makes sense that he would do it that way, although I suppose a nicer teacher would round the bottom 10% down instead, let me know if I'm wrong!

That hybrid distribution is a real nasty customer. Everyone would have kicked ass on the regular distribution.. This is what I got.

Not too many surprises. A bit of a shame that Emilia Strolin kinda got screwed getting over 100 and still played second fiddle. Poor Carmine! The stars may hold all the answers but they can't help you write any better! :( and haha to Basia :P

2ymheo7.png

1) Will there be any negative effects from being deemed a failure by the grading system? I thought around 50 would be good enough for all classes.

2) Does this also mean that your exact grade is irrelevant if you are placed 1st in the distribution system already?

3) I read on the wiki: "You are supposed to score a minimum of 50 in the Cheimare mid-term examinations and have hence archieve a study level and parent skill of 5 for every subject."

When I played I was given the impression that study level acted as a multiplier so that 5 study level would be graded 50% of your parent skill, i.e. 25 in the above example. This is wrong?

lol, that was dreamweaver. Who mastered the legate again?

Also I'd like to add that I've just calculated my Glamour class's scores and Eliana Caros's scores were the worst at 47. Yet that is still passing in *that* class.

Wouldn't exactly please the parents though.

Legate could you answer my question above?

Good that in year 1 there is no failure. The only real punishment you get for year 2 is that you cant join certain class if your score in the required skill(s) is not good enough.

Or wait wasn't there something about holiday class for the people who where failing in to many class?

I'm more interested in being able to take extra classes for being a swot being a keen and eager student of the ancient art of spellcasting.

But since my chaps generally "fail" the mid terms (typically skills of around 5 from classes but study levels low for half of the classes) and only do well at the finals (150 across the board is my usual target) I'm not quite sure how my chaps would fit in. fortunately even in my "bad class" midterms I've never wound up with detention or hall sessions :)

Sigh, so getting to stay for summer class isn't an option for the good kids then? My poor chap doesn't want to go home, Academagia is far nicer to him (when it isn't actively trying to kill him anyway, and even then at least it's paying attention to him).