Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Actually, I'd like to get a jump start at the Contu school during summer break. I couldn't think of anything more priceless than showing up after the summer ends with my Incantation near maxed at the get go. I would almost DARE 'ol Marchant to give me a hard time.

That's probably not possible, but... I can dream. :)

One thing's for sure, I know I'm gonna need to be at the top of my game with all the jealous jerks gunning for the number one spot. It's always easier to acquire than it is to keep.

I've done the rankings of my classes, and Ana didn't do too badly in my game, at least in the classes she shared with me. and I didn't do her adventure. :unsure: first number is mid, 2nd is finals, 3rd is class grade and 4th is ranking.

Negation 70 122 111.6 8

Revision 24 124 104 13

Can someone tell me how a young man in craftsman's clothes manage to get into the Avila Girl Dorm of the 1st year at early morning?

I ask because to my knowledge that's not a easy thing to do and I just got Random Event - Gera Was Here.

About Ana the poor girl with Fitness 1 have detention with Leo Massioti oO (maybe still bether then the detention with Pluite I just played trough)

Maybe he asked the professors for permission to drop of a scheduled delivery, unless all access is forbidden period, no exceptions?

I don't really mind getting detention, you usually learn something. I wonder what the professors would say to my excuse for very frequent absence from classes: "You had nothing new to teach me at all." or at least it wasn't getting taught in that classroom. My character just wants to learn!

I'm in the process of making a spreadsheet to calculate my Y1 classes. It's ~85% done and I'll release it when I'm done, although I doubt I will do one for every class, it should be a good way to show the difference between regular and hybrid distribution. If you're an Aranaz student or magic heavy it should be pretty useful.

Anyway legate, I was browsing old questions and perhaps you can elaborate on this a little more.

Spells are rated in Grades (1-5 are taught at the Academagia, excepting special instruction), and each College has its own emphasis.

I would give specific examples of level 20 Spells for you now, but I think you will have to wait for Year 2 (although some are in Year 1!) Also, I am a bit sick, so it's fuzzy to think about it right now

well... :)

Exactly what is the definition of a level 1-5 spell?

how high do the official classifications of spells go?

does grading of the spell have anything to do with the difficulty rating of the phemes in the spell?

Why does the level of spells taught only go up to 5?

Where can we learn the level of the spells we already know?

Is spell grading and level different things?

Or does level 20 spells exist yet only up to 5 is taught at the Academagia?

Then how is more advanced spells learned? Private tutoring?

I take it the most advanced magic we've had opportunity to learn so far is only level one/two?

Free & Dreamweaver;

Exactly what is the definition of a level 1-5 spell?

The spell deemed appropriate to the skills and knowledge of that year Student.

how high do the official classifications of spells go?

Good question, I am not sure.

does grading of the spell have anything to do with the difficulty rating of the phemes in the spell?

Yes,

Why does the level of spells taught only go up to 5?

That is what is deemed appropriate for Year 5 Students.

Where can we learn the level of the spells we already know?

Is spell grading and level different things?

I believe they are essentially used interchangeably.

Or does level 20 spells exist yet only up to 5 is taught at the Academagia?

There are certainly more complex Spells than which are taught.

Then how is more advanced spells learned? Private tutoring?

I take it the most advanced magic we've had opportunity to learn so far is only level one/two?

That is almost certainly true. Maybe a Grade 3 has snuck in, I am not sure. ;)

Is Grading related to the difficulty of a spell?

I.e.:

Difficulty 01-10 = Grade 1

Difficulty 11-20 = Grade 2

Difficutly 21-30 = Grade 3

and so on?

Also didn't you also point out that in the next years we see more and more free casting instead of formulaic casting?

How to this Spell Grading system get along with the free-casting that mainly based on what you know on Pheme, Pallete and the Methods/Theory of the specific magic art?

Is it like Ares Magica where certain type of magic have a specific difficulty?

I.e.

Levitating one self is difficulty 10 in Ars Magica and probably even around the same difficulty as Negation Magic.

While doing the same with Auram is difficulty 20 and probably the same with Incantation Magic.

Schwarzbart;

The Grading system for Spells is an artificial construct of the University, and doesn't really have anything to do with the underlying mechanics. I wouldn't say that it has any correlation to Difficulty.

As the Years go along, more and more elements to Spells will be introduced. This won't be, strictly speaking, free casting, but you will be able to tailor your Spells to your needs in important ways. You'll understand the first part of what that means when you see how Stories flow and are constructed in Y2.

Hopeful we see different versions of levitation magic and their use in adventures and duels.

For duels a simple Levitation Spell can keep you out of range for your opponent close-combat moves unless (s)he is also using such a spell.

But if the opponent manage to dispel your Levitation magic your up to a hard landing what could be enough for a first blood duel. ;)

Redacted!

I also hope that Gate magic actual give you teleport magic in year 2 even if just a line of sight one

As diction is considered an important part of spell casting, perhaps legate, you can tell us how that vocal aspect figures in to the overall spell process.

Furthermore can you explain the difference between old and new elumian? I know both are technically latin and the game treats the old elumian as such, but since the new Elumian is translated into english for the benefit of the reader, it's hard to properly grasp the defining differences.