Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1) Is Professor Leith also the Alchemy professor or is there a so fare unknown professor teaching this?

2) Brew is just the basics for Alchemy or is Brew = Alchemy?

(Think this already was answered that Alchemy is the advanced form of brew)

3) If Alchemy is the advanced form of Brew do this mean that we see this class at earliest at year 3 because year 1 didn't have a brew class?

4) Will there be some NPC student's who change their familiar in the next year?

Schwarzbart & Free;

1) Is Professor Leith also the Alchemy professor or is there a so fare unknown professor teaching this?

It is Professor Leith, or at least, he is one of them.

2) Brew is just the basics for Alchemy or is Brew = Alchemy?
(Think this already was answered that Alchemy is the advanced form of brew)

Correct.

3) If Alchemy is the advanced form of Brew do this mean that we see this class at earliest at year 3 because year 1 didn't have a brew class?

I *think* so.

4) Will there be some NPC student's who change their familiar in the next year?

I believe only one.

5) Also, when did Avilla start letting boys in?

It was 'only' a century or two ago. :)

Could you explain arithmancy in greater detail? it seems like a useful skill for any of the pillars, although all the examples given in the lores suggest that only a master of a pillar could use it to it's full potential.

Well, according to the lores, "arithmancy" can be very potent. I might take (a little bit of) math in Y2 if it's as much as I suspect. If my hunch on Y2 itself is right, I may not take any of the advanced pillar courses either.

Regarding the summer (if you can say): will your character be forced to return home if home is nearby, or can they elect to stay on their own in the city and work/do other things anyway (especially in the case of a black sheep)?

Will we see more calligraphy actions? Not that forging checks isn't awesome. What about the items - the inks and quills, which seem to be unequippable. Will we be able to use those in the future? I admit I am intrigued at the idea of making and using magical inks.

How are divorces handled in Elumia, especially among those of wealth or the nobility? Are they readily available, or only with special dispensations? I imagine the potential for terrible and drawn-out litigation if it's primarily a matter for the courts. What about arranged marriages - are they common in the upper ranks of society? Is descent most commonly determined through the matrilineal or patrilineal line, and does this differ significantly between regions?

Lapis;

Schwarzbart is partially correct, but that's for lodgings at the Academagia. To the best of my knowledge, you must go home during the summer.

Calligraphy continues into Orthography proper, yes, and magical inks are important. :)

Divorces are easier to obtain in Elumia than in real world Europe of the time period, but still very difficult. It's more common amongst the nobility with their ready access to wealth, legal counsel and free time.

Arranged marriages are common amongst the nobility and generally arranged patrilineally. However, there are certain families, more commonly amongst the Monteon, who arrange it matrilineally by tradition. Any family can draw it's line matrilineally, but they usually only do so when the only products of a union are female.

mmm.

to add to the questions Lapis gave....

1. Do marriages require the authorization of the state? or are they merely an institution of the church?

2. Are dowries practiced?

Lapis;

Schwarzbart is partially correct, but that's for lodgings at the Academagia. To the best of my knowledge, you must go home during the summer.

I thought for some families it would be next to impossible that the child come home and get back in time because a airships only arrive once per month or so.

That's one of the reasons why I suggested some months back that you at last should offer the option for students to stay on their own in the city.

(It was also because the RPG thread I made at this time was about a student who lost both parents.)

Hello all!

I've been playing Academagia on and off for about two years now, and more recently started poking around the forums. I'm really impressed by both the depth of the worldbuilding behind this game and willingness of the devs to answer so many questions on the subject. I've finally managed to make my way through this entire thread and now find myself with a few (okay, more than a few) questions of my own. I apologize in advance if any of these have been answered elsewhere and I either missed or forgot about them.

1. Do the subdivisions of the larger political units on the map have a general name (ex. regions, counties, provinces)? What is their political or cultural significance?

2. Are the students who share a family name with one of these regions from a ruling family, or does it simply indicate that they came from the region, like Leonardo da Vinci came from the town of Vinci? Or is it the first in some cases and the second in others?

3. Are any of the game locations in Elumia Proper outside of the region of Mineta?

4. On which 'coast' of the island of Mineta is the city of Mineta?

5. Just to get a sense of scale for the map, about how large is the island of Mineta? I imagine it being about the size of Great Britain, but I could see it being significantly larger or smaller.

6. What happened to the New Gods? Did their physical bodies die, did they physically ascend to heaven, or did they just vanish in some way?

7. How did the Empire pass from divine to human rule? Did the New Gods have any human descendants, and do any of those descendants still live?

8. Does the Legate of the Academagia serve for a certain term, until death or retirement, or at the pleasure of the Regents?

9. Can the Regents remove the Legate, and if so, does it take a simple majority vote, or are there other requirements? Can any Regent request such a vote at any time?

10. How are the Regents chosen, and how can they be removed?

11. Would becoming a Regent without having previously been a professor be common, unusual, or almost unheard of?

12. Does the widespread suspicion of Pievre cause trouble at the Academagia for any of the students from that nation? I believe Milena, at least, is from there.

13. A couple of the students, (Sima, Tulia, and Magsa), look Indian to me. Is there an India-analogue among the islands, and if so, are any or all of them from there?

14. And finally, just because I'm particularly fond of them, can you tell me where Honors, Neta, and Zoe are from?

Thanks!

for 2, I'm sure there it depends. I know of one who is tied directly to the family of nobles who ruled over one of the islands in the past. Forget who that was though.

For 3, most definitely. If I recall, Elumia would be considered the old borders of the empire of Man. Today that empire has shrank in power an influence and Mineta, the old capitol, is largely what remains. Technically though the empire still comprises all of Elumia, but....

For 8, the Legate is chosen by the regents, and I'm sure he would stay until another was chosen to replace him... Or something happened to need to replace him...

For 10, I'm not 100% sure, but those are chosen from those who hold great influence over what is left of the empire.

For 11, I'm almost certain it's uncommon. (edit, errr, misread the question when I read first time)

Also, props for going through that thread. It's a doozy.

Some more recent answers for your questions 8-11

Schwarzbart;

1) What is the most common reason that a new Legate for Academagia is chosen?

Good question! It's *usually* political, but not always. Sometimes it can be due to reasons of prestige or knowledge.

2) How long is a Legate of Academagia usually able to hold this position?

I don't know that there is an average, but generally 10+ years.

3) Or is this position given for the rest of his/her live?

No, they can (and usually are) replaced by the Regents.

Good, so Orso Orsi still have at last around 6 years what means our chars are already finished with the Academy when he might loose his place as Legate.

The Regents are somehow chosen by the people who pledge money to the Academy or did I get this wrong?

So a Student who manage to get a lot of money or have very wealthy parents might actual get some influence there?

Schwarzbart;

The Regents are usually nominated from a pool of the leading citizens of the Empire, which in these days generally means the City of Mineta.

And yes, it's possible to have some influence. :)

GM;

Adding to what Free and Schwarzbart responded with:

1. Do the subdivisions of the larger political units on the map have a general name (ex. regions, counties, provinces)? What is their political or cultural significance?

They do all have names (I think there is a detailed map available out there on the web, although I don't have a direct link handy), and they were the old provinces of the Empire. These days, what their significance is depends on who possesses them.

2. Are the students who share a family name with one of these regions from a ruling family, or does it simply indicate that they came from the region, like Leonardo da Vinci came from the town of Vinci? Or is it the first in some cases and the second in others?

As you suggest, it's either case, depending.

3. Are any of the game locations in Elumia Proper outside of the region of Mineta?

Yes, much of Auncesay, some of Staade, and many other places besides are not shown.

Edit: Ah, *game locations*. Well...there is a certain school...;)

4. On which 'coast' of the island of Mineta is the city of Mineta?

It faces the east coast; the west coast is very difficult to approach by air ship, as the mountains there are difficult and treacherous.

5. Just to get a sense of scale for the map, about how large is the island of Mineta? I imagine it being about the size of Great Britain, but I could see it being significantly larger or smaller.

From memory, it's about 75mi wide, by 250mi long.

6. What happened to the New Gods? Did their physical bodies die, did they physically ascend to heaven, or did they just vanish in some way?

Their physical bodies perished, and they ascended to the heavens.

7. How did the Empire pass from divine to human rule? Did the New Gods have any human descendants, and do any of those descendants still live?

The first Emperor was chosen by Noemia, who was the last of the New Gods to die. One of the New Gods, Calvius, had a mortal descendant. The war over this progeny claimed several of the New Gods' lives, and led to centuries of civil war afterwards. The current line of Kings in Auncesay are matrilineal descendants of those children, and has historically made Auncesay distrusted and something of a pariah in international affairs.

9. Can the Regents remove the Legate, and if so, does it take a simple majority vote, or are there other requirements? Can any Regent request such a vote at any time?

They can (and often do), and it is a simple majority. They meet each year, after the school year ends, unless there are extraordinary circumstances.

11. Would becoming a Regent without having previously been a professor be common, unusual, or almost unheard of?

Common.

12. Does the widespread suspicion of Pievre cause trouble at the Academagia for any of the students from that nation? I believe Milena, at least, is from there.

A little, yes.

13. A couple of the students, (Sima, Tulia, and Magsa), look Indian to me. Is there an India-analogue among the islands, and if so, are any or all of them from there?

There is an Indian analogue, but only a very little of that was taken. They are not from that region.

14. And finally, just because I'm particularly fond of them, can you tell me where Honors, Neta, and Zoe are from?

Sure:

Honors: Breuil

Neta: Medinei

Zoe: Cimone

So I was inspired to reread this thread, to look for things in which maybe we might have new questions for due to a change in context because of our increase of knowledge.. I only managed to get to around page 80, but...

"The second is that it contains an enchantment to enervate these beasts; making them more

weary and in some cases binding or restricting flight. The method for this has been lost,

although Vernin...well...enough said. :)"

1. Does that have to do with all the towers that Vernin built, once upon a time?

"Ile Bruyere, now a part of Meril, was once the northern part of Monteon."

2. Part of the island or a separate isle under the control of Monteon?

"I believe there is a two week leeway. Normally, you cannot stay on University grounds

without special permission during the summer break, but over the years that permission

has become more and more lenient, especially if the Regents like you."

3. Does that mean you need to be fully moved out, or can you leave your dorm room intact for second year?

4. Also, does this mean two weeks until you can no longer use the facilities, or only dorms?

"I believe rooms are switched, although it's not set in stone yet."

5. Is it in stone, now?

"Academagia Tuition is *princely*, but in part that is over-inflation, since the Regents grant

tuition assistance to over 3/4s of the Students- the price of buying your way in."

6. So, Catherine Chard basically wants to do away with the tuition assistance? If the tuition today is considered cheap to her, how bad was it in the past

"Haha, yes, there would be many, most probably related to Dragons, the Stranger or the

Cataclysm of Monteon...as well as the usual ones in our own world"

7. Who is this "Stranger?"???

"Only a few of the Icanicix Students still live, their lives prolonged magically, and most these

are in monasteries, cloistered away. Well, that is publicly known...as you say, some things

can be hidden."

8. I thought that they were at least given a choice to never use their spells again??? Don't tell me this is what that meant?

"You are correct- weapons must be peace bound, and, in general, you must have a patent to

carry them (although this is rarely observed). As usual, as long as you don't bother the

Instructors, they tend to turn a blind eye."

9. How does one obtain such a patent?

"Glamour yes, although it's difficult- you could 'seem' to have wings, or even give an object

the ability to fly"

10. So, Glamour can allow you to fly? I would think that if you only seemed to have wings, you would only seem to use them and seem to fly?

"In older times, there was a competition or game, related to this, with teams of mages trying

to locate, summon and protect a Chalice. I wonder if you'll see that in Year 2, if you attend a

certain School?"

11. What is/was its name? Also, relative to Rimbal, would you say the field required to play it is larger or smaller?

"It does, yes- casting a Spell leaves it's mark on you, which can be detected by appropriate

magics (Negation is most often used.) The Evidence necessary depends on where you are,

how influential you are, and how influential your accuser is, but examination usually

requires a good reason: witnesses, your presence coincident with strange phenomenon, etc."

12. Now, I was under the impression that most of the magic residue goes onto the object of the spell, and less the caster. I know it fades over time, but would you say that if you continued to cast spells in a certain pillar over decades, would there be a mark of permanent magic on them?

13. Also, if there was some rare, bizarre case where Mastery was the only plausible solution, was one of the rare ethical usages, was used with full consent of all parties involved, and was traced and discovered... What would happen to all parties?

"You didn't really think we would answer about Pamela's demise, did you? :)"

14. Never ever!? Well, eventually, I hope you will! :)

*bonus questions*

15. Would a duel between regents draw the whole campus to the site?

16. Will that lore on chocolate trees make it into Y1?

17. How can Gates allow the creation of monsters? I know animating them has to do with binding spirits and is [redacted], and summoning them is also simple enough to understand, but as far as creating their forms... I can't quite fathom that. If you take parts of other animals and cobble them together that "sounds" like revision to me.

Sorry for the messy format. I tried to organize it with quote hashes but apparently the forum doesn't like ~15 quotes.

Schwarzbart;

That's a good question, I'll have to ask.

Free;

1. Does that have to do with all the towers that Vernin built, once upon a time?

Who can say. :)

"Ile Bruyere, now a part of Meril, was once the northern part of Monteon."

2. Part of the island or a separate isle under the control of Monteon?

Part of the island, although they were independent, usually.

3. Does that mean you need to be fully moved out, or can you leave your dorm room intact for second year?

I *think* fully moved out.

4. Also, does this mean two weeks until you can no longer use the facilities, or only dorms?

Both, I believe.

5. Is it in stone, now?

Yep.

6. So, Catherine Chard basically wants to do away with the tuition assistance? If the tuition today is considered cheap to her, how bad was it in the past

It's all relative. It was always expensive.

7. Who is this "Stranger?"???

Never mind. :)

8. I thought that they were at least given a choice to never use their spells again??? Don't tell me this is what that meant?

If they were graduates, or sufficiently advanced Students, that's exactly what was meant. Inexperienced students were given a less...binding choice.

9. How does one obtain such a patent?

Usually, it is granted based on your status, but enough money tends to do away with those kinds of concerns...

10. So, Glamour can allow you to fly? I would think that if you only seemed to have wings, you would only seem to use them and seem to fly?

Haha, no, you can fly. Just make sure you continue to...believe. ;)

11. What is/was its name? Also, relative to Rimbal, would you say the field required to play it is larger or smaller?

If you do not know, I cannot tell you. :)

The playing field is larger.

12. Now, I was under the impression that most of the magic residue goes onto the object of the spell, and less the caster. I know it fades over time, but would you say that if you continued to cast spells in a certain pillar over decades, would there be a mark of permanent magic on them?

No, not permanent. But long-lasting? Yes.

13. Also, if there was some rare, bizarre case where Mastery was the only plausible solution, was one of the rare ethical usages, was used with full consent of all parties involved, and was traced and discovered... What would happen to all parties?

It depends on who is finding them out...

14. Never ever!? Well, eventually, I hope you will! :)

Well, not never, ever. :)

15. Would a duel between regents draw the whole campus to the site?

Among the regents? Probably not. Among the instructors? Definitely!

16. Will that lore on chocolate trees make it into Y1?

Well, if it isn't, it should. :)

17. How can Gates allow the creation of monsters? I know animating them has to do with binding spirits and is [redacted], and summoning them is also simple enough to understand, but as far as creating their forms... I can't quite fathom that. If you take parts of other animals and cobble them together that "sounds" like revision to me.

No comment!

1) Will Esteban Contu's School allow to focus on Incantation for all 5 years as a free time subject given that we manage to pay the tuition all the years?

2) Will the Secret Background allow the one who picked this to focus on Redacted for all 5 years?

3) As the first 2 questions are a bit fare stretched will we see Improved class in both schools in year 2?