Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Oh, wow, 2 "no comment"s. That's some serious non-commentary on that. :o

But I take that to imply that those are two different subjects.

ANYWAY, I came across "the old debate" and am somewhat surprised that such public debates are allowed on Gates magic.

I thought that sort of thing is frowned upon.

I've a few questions that I'm not sure has been answered, if they have I don't remember the answer:

1) How many usually make it to graduation out of a typical first year crowd? Most?

2) Does the school have a limited quota deciding how many they are willing to accept per year or is it mostly a matter of how many students have sufficient aptitude/talent?

3) If a student is doing poorly enough that getting expelled is a possibility would familial wealth/influence be able to prevent that or would that go against the Academagia's integrity?

4) On that note would going back a year be an option for some? Maybe we might meet new students who are redoing the year because they hadn't learned enough yet?

5) Lastly I've been thinking about how everyone is equally able to learn magic; is learning to perform basic magic harder than it seems in the game (meaning the player is just talented) or is there some reason there aren't many people with minor magical ability? I know high level magic is complex and difficult, but it doesn't seem that the lower levels of incantation for instance are all that difficult to learn. Unless the students are just really talented?

Free;

It depends on the era.

Dream;

1) It depends on the Students involved, but over 50%, usually.

2) Sufficient aptitude, talent and ability to pay.

3) Rules are always different for the very wealthy. ;)

4) It's happened, but is rare.

5) This time period lacks any kind of real formal education, and most families cannot afford the basic magical tools needed to cast, let alone pay for private instruction, so only the privileged and talented are able to learn magic. If time and wealth were no barrier, though, it's possible most people would learn minor magical abilities.

I personal think most who failed before the 4th year will try to finish their magic education with a private teacher or try at a different school.

While the students fail at the 4th year most likely will have enough education to continue from there on their own and be able to find jobs who pay good.

(Someone have to make all the Battle Mace figures ;) )

But what about all those cool alumni benefits? :(

Seriously though, I would think Y4 kids would want to finish if only for the prestige offered for having completed, giving them access to many more jobs.

Thanks to all, and especially the Legate, for the answers! I just have a few follow-up questions.

1. So the Regents are nominated from among leading citizens and money (unsurprisingly) gives one influence over the nominations, but who makes the final call? The Praetexta Court?

2. Why did Calvius having a child lead to a war?

3. I would have expected any descendants of the New Gods to be honored, maybe even revered. Does the distrust towards Auncesay stem only from bad feelings left over from the war, or does it have another, perhaps religious, dimension? Is this why the King of Auncesay was not chosen to be Emperor after the destruction of Monteon?

4. Since the New Gods physically died before ascending, do they have tombs or burial places? If so, are their locations known, perhaps as pilgrimage sites?

GM;

1. So the Regents are nominated from among leading citizens and money (unsurprisingly) gives one influence over the nominations, but who makes the final call? The Praetexta Court?

The Regents themselves induct new members.

2. Why did Calvius having a child lead to a war?

No comment. There may be some Lore hints, though...

3. I would have expected any descendants of the New Gods to be honored, maybe even revered. Does the distrust towards Auncesay stem only from bad feelings left over from the war, or does it have another, perhaps religious, dimension? Is this why the King of Auncesay was not chosen to be Emperor after the destruction of Monteon?

For this, you'll have to read the Lores...;)

4. Since the New Gods physically died before ascending, do they have tombs or burial places? If so, are their locations known, perhaps as pilgrimage sites?

They do, and they are. Both Athanasius and Noemia have tombs in Mineta, in their most prominent Temples.

They do, and they are. Both Athanasius and Noemia have tombs in Mineta, in their most prominent Temples.

Can we visit this two places in year 2? I ask because most of my chars are very religious thanks to Cleanse and Remake.

I could be mistaken, aren't the locations to both lost to time? (I think one was discovered in certain ends of the dance of fools adventure, could be wrong though.)

Nevermind! Noemia was just namedropped. Misremembered.

GM;

Was there any notable incident caused by disagreement between the Regents about nominations? How is it dealt with when the opinions are split evenly, etc?

GM;

Was there any notable incident caused by disagreement between the Regents about nominations? How is it dealt with when the opinions are split evenly, etc?