Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Since there's a big difference between knowing and actually casting forbidden magic... I am curious how far one can actually get without actually casting any. My character wouldn't go so far as to risk expulsion by getting traced through actual casting, at least not yet. Is there any provision for studying without actually crossing that line? Or does the game simply assume that you've cast an cast even to get to skill level 2. And does simply practicing the phemes give off the same traceable aura? even if not practicing on a palette?

"Since there's a big difference between knowing and actually casting forbidden magic"

...well, that depends. Knowing forbidden magic is a great way to be cloistered...if it can be proven.

Practicing Phemes does give off an aura, but not if not done on a Palette. If you are just making the motions in air, it doesn't matter.

Well, as for the difference, I was thinking along the lines of traceability and difficulty to prove. In later years as the penalty for such things increase, I'd like to know if there will be any discerning between one who would train in the forbidden arts by say actually casting spells, like as mentioned of that one kid in the academy's dating rituals, and one who is more cautious and never actually does.

Or will it be assumed that I've had to cast mastery spells to get to any given level in it?

How many Gate and how many Mastery mages where captured in the last 50 years?

I ask because I suspect beside the knowledge how to use this forbidden arts also the knowledge how to detect them got lost.

Also 300 years is a lot of time to change the magic so that it shows up on the spells that supposedly detect them no longer give the right answer on this spells.

Free;

You do need to cast to advance past 10, for certain. I *think* pre-10 can be gained academically (maybe pre-5), but don't quote me on that. :)

The law does treat the person who only gained knowledge and did not cast more leniently, but that still means cloistering.

Schwarzbart;

Only three or four. You are right...many techniques have eroded over time...;)

But you didn't hear that from me. And you should never, ever dabble in forbidden magics!

Yup, just talking theory. The theory of Mastery and Gates.

That horde of Mastered skeletons that showed up a half year back certainly wasn't our doing, either....

Anyway, Will we see multipillar casting skills in Y2?

Well, I think Y2 might still be a little early to truly be good at multi pillar casting. So long as there's framework established in that area in Y2, and a few juicy multi pillar spells, I'll be happy to mostly continue learning how to cast more advanced single pillar spells.

There better be a lot of room for that in Y3+ though! :)

I've been passing time hunting typos in the game and writing [redacted]

In many games I neglected Astrology so I can't really say my chars are full Omni pillar caster even worse I have no char so fare who trained in mastery beside the few points from the sphinx.

(For Angelik I still have to push Glamour a bit and Enchant a lot but I plan to get this done in the remaining 3 months)

Yeah. You did say you never cared for the Library of the mantle of the stars, but it really is a great way to learn astrology, imo. Over the summer break my character needs to improve his planets skill, (as all others were maxed and since the increase is random I wasn't going to go there and not get increases to it.) raise orthography from 9 to 10, and maybe raise the palette skill a bit, but other than that, I learned just about all of the most important magic skills. Including Enspell. I can't waste a precious class slot in future years for that! :)

I'm pretty sure the Legate said that there will be additional languages. I also would like to know if 16 is the last so that I can postpone a certain chocolate cake adventure that may or may not involve Mastery until Y2.

Alright. You can cast a spell on food to give someone who eats it the effects, right? Since it's not an enchantment or anything it won't last long, but for training purposes it's fine, yeah?

Ok, I've revisited the map, and have MOAR QWESTIONS!!!1!1 :)

1. Hmmm. The tower of the cold forge. Where precisely is it? I had previously assumed it was atop the Vernin Campus as that seemed the logical answer with the time freeze spell holding that explosion in place and all... but since Vernin supposedly built many towers like so, I should think that it is a separate building. And that Vernin just really liked using time spells back in the day when something went wrong.

2. Where is the Academagia's graveyard?*

3. According to the map, #4 is the Bel Alze tower, yet is perfectly intact. (despite the lores contradicting this) Similarly, Where is the "Bel Aize" (the good one) located?

*I swear I will not disturb the graves!

Ah, but for #2 it is said:

"No one likes to talk about it but on rare occasions, students or Professors die on the grounds of the Academagia. When they do, according to ancient law set up by Emperor Fundi, the person is to be buried in the Academagia Graveyard without exception"