Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Typically, a student will devote themselves to a single Pillar

What is the benefit of the Academagia if one does not take advantage of all the differing classes? None I say!

If you were only going to study just one pillar, then a more focused school should have been chosen!

Just wait! I will break the mold at the Academy and show it's true potential! Nyahaha! When I'm done with the school, they will scratch their heads in wonder of how I did it.

...And possibly alert the whole of Elumia that there's a mage running around with substantial, if not master-level, knowledge of Gates and Mastery, but that's a story for another day.

Are there illegal phemes that used to be used in spells not related to illegal arts?

Uhhh that can become problematic because I doubt I would realise that I use a illegal pheme for a spell.

Its already a problem with the tapestry room as I get no info if the pheme I learn is a legal one or one that belongs to Mastery or Gate.

I think that at least for Y5, it should be possible to do so, maybe if you were able to secure, say, a 1000 pim 'donation' to your college. hehe.

If one had the background of wealthy, nobles, and descended of royalty, how would that place you in relation to Catherine Chard on the social ladder?

1000 pim is enough for this? Considering that the tuition at Contu's School is already 900 per year I would say we need to add a other zero at the end for this.

Its for sure not that rare in this case as at Veranix 23 you get two times +1 in First Principles both with a variance of 3 days according to the Modtool.

I think 1000 ought to be enough to tip the balance in your favor in a close decision, not purchase it outright. But who the heck would pay 10000 pims? That's ridiculous. The knowledge is already at the academy, you just have to convince them to release it in a way that benefits you.

Serious if they allow to petition what you get thought in year 5 and they make it depended on the donation you get in then it will get expensive to get over the others.

Especial considering that we are already be told that the class size per subject at year 5 is 2-3 students per professor and you learning mostly on your own.

I personal suspect we will have to pick a single professor who is responsible for our education in year 5 and have to research most on our own.

If I'm right with that we only have on Professor responsible for us in year 5 will professor Orso Orsi also be a possible choice?

Schwarzbart;

I believe Orso will be available in Y5...assuming he's still around. :)

Oh.... He'll be around! ;)

In truth I think you are the wild card in the whole matter. Depending on previous adventures, He might stay as headmaster unless you choose to help dethrone him. Though at least in mine I see an absolutely vicious battle between him and von Rupprecht, and I know which side of that line I'm on.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like ol' baldy too, but advancement must be earned, not taken.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like ol' baldy too, but advancement must be earned, not taken.

That definitely depends on the person you're asking. Some would say that unless he can keep that advanced position, he wasn't worthy of it in the first place and helping someone get such a high position is worth quite a bit of favor (and blackmail material). More than just helping someone secure it, seeing as they were already entitled to it in the first place. (yes, I am Godina why do you ask?)
Granted, I'm also on the Orsi fan-team. Rupprecht creeps me right out and by year five we might end up with more than a reason to dislike him (or worship him if Aranaz). Also, I must mention again that my main character is weary of everyone named 'von'.
I don't like the idea of 2-3 students around per teacher. I want all of them. They should stick around and provide us with amusement! And pranks! Even the bullies have that special place in Academagia. On whom would we practice our offensive spells? First Years? That's no fun.
...Wait, how exactly did Marchant's brothers stick around in school for so long if they drop out like mayflies?

For the unscrupulous, those things you say are certainly true-ish. But alienating everyone to go straight to the top ensures you will not stay there. I know that sort of behavior is expected of, and even encouraged in Aranaz, but nonetheless that crosses too many lines for me. I'll side with Orsi when the time comes. (Besides, being best buds with the no. 1 guy in the school will have it's own opportunities for advancement...)

I'm mixed on the thinning of students. I don't mind if a few classes are small, but I also think that having robust classes adds to the fun of school life

Well, it certainly depends on how you'd take Orsi down. Something that can't be proven, will not be investigated much and in fact, won't even tie to you can keep you from alienating everyone.

After all, the Captain is still very suspicious of him and the man in question does do vaguely illegalish things. It wouldn't take that much. And who would suspect a student?

I agree that being best buds with him would work wonders, but therein lies the role-playing potential. Does your character believe that friendship and loyalty can keep others from turning on him or does he need to resort to blackmail and intimidation to force others to do his bidding? Personally, I wouldn't trust Orsi too much because he's bound by his responsibilities. You are one of his best buds, but gaining favour isn't that hard and in a school full of potential masterminds, he needs to watch out for all of them in front of the authorities of the city, of magic, in front of parents and if the child is high-born enough, in front of royalty. That severely limits his usefulness. I imagine he is also closely watched by others.

As for the students, I think that all of them provide something interesting. Yeah, you might not interact with all of them in a school year, but have you ever been to a class that only contained four people? I have. It was boring and there was little discussion due to lack of differing opinions. It can get interesting , since all of them speak up but having all classes like that would be exhausting.

If my suspicion is right we don't have actually class in year 5 instead we are more like research assistant to the professor we are assigned.

While the professor is expected to help us when we hit a dead end, give us some research we actual can handle and let us enough time to learn what (s)he think is necessary for the exam.

So if 30 Students are still make it to year 5 they are split up to at last 10 professor so everyone have a maximum of 3 year 5 Students.

Hmm, that might work. And would make sense. I wonder if we'd have to make this large project at the end for a degree.

Kicking out students is still something I'd rather avoid. Mostly because I can already hint at those who will fail (Phillipe?, Flore?, Joana? Rui?) and they're the ones who really make an impact on the game. They're everywhere.

So hopefully there are ways to keep them in school.

Well, to be fair they're the ones who've made the biggest observable impact thus far in Y1. I think you could add Lambert Cobo to that list, too. He seems to be in quite a few adventures, even if only observing from the shadows. I see Catherine Chard playing a big role in the politics of future years, considering her parent (?) was a former regent of Vernin. and is super rich too. Basia will play a big nuisance if you're the top dog. Malacresta might foresee some of the events yet to come. Flore might learn some forbidden magic, Everwine and his grasshopper escapades... And poor Ana Flavia. :P

All of them add flavor, and even if the spices aren't that good by themselves, I think all them add to that which is the main story. That said, if all the students of our year manage to graduate without a single dropout, would that be unusual?

Unusual enough to get investigated? Hmm..

As a wealthy noble, I might have to start handing out cash like candy to make sure everyone stays in class. Mastery is a last resort. For now. If only because it would raise a lot of red flags.

I imagine though, that an empty classroom would be pretty sad and you'd reminisce with your friends "Hey, remember what Vettor did to that girl?" or "Hey, Alan would have been really interested in this". And after playing for a few years, half a dozen or more games with a new char, you get attached to everyone.

Yeah.

Of course, I would rather not interfere with the school's natural selection, because it is wholly possible that THAT might force you to kick out someone who was kicking out someone.

I'd rather focus on the studies, and simply assert a benevolent (non-mastery) dominance.. although who knows what will happen?

Player is now confused about Phemes ;)

Phemes 4 says the order how I put the pheme together for my spell don't matter.

Phemes 7 in opposite says the phemes are like the letter that forms the words for spells.

Now in forming words I can't say lheol instead of hello so I wonder how this 2 lore go together.

Beside have anyone ever tried to make the finger of a child to perform as wand when it is about to learn its first words to see if humans thought already as toddler magic can't become a match for dragons?

If child really can learn magic as easy as the mother language you probably have the child surpassing even the mightiest mages when it reach its teen years.

Schwarzbart;

teh oderr you wirte ltertets in dnot ulsaluy mtaetr so lnog as ceitran rleus are floloewd. Teh snetecne can siltl be usneodrstod

Legate;

1. What year is Olivier Marchant in, in Y2? Will he have actually managed to graduate at the end of Y1? (doubtful)

2. Which of our year students would be considered the most talented in each pillar? I'd like to compare my growth in these areas to these students.

3. Can you at least reveal the Y1 classes that can be taken in Y2 even if the new classes must still remain a secret?

4. Which student if any would be a good shipwright/engineer?

5. I realize that Volnauge is valuable regardless, but if one found a wild tree around the Academagia, how effective would it be given the relatively low elevation compared to the cultivated trees? And how tall do they grow?

1) There is no drop out in year 1 so if at all he will sorted out at the end of year 2 but as story NPC he might still survive that.

Beside the Merchant family might have some way that keep them in even without the necessary grades, did I hear someone say Blackmail?

Don't forget how easy a professor can assign extra credit and just 10 points more can be enough to not drop out.

Well for the plot to be consistent if there are no dropouts in this year 1, then previous first years must have had dropouts be at least rare.

In a way there has been no specialization yet and nothing has been learned that couldn't have been learned on our own (at least with access to the libraries), perhaps it is too early to judge who would be unfit to continue.

Also unless you actively sabotaged a particular student I think they should all have passed most of their classes, and what is the requirement to actually be expelled? Probably more than one failed hybrid distribution class.