Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I imagine bristles don't help the whole comfort issue. Although I did imagine a character using a Staff like a skateboard to fly through the air...and the huge Acrobatics we'd need for that.

I guess shapeshifting is for higher Years...damn, grown-ups have all the fun.

Another question if I may :blush: I think I'm starting to ask too many already. The Auncish lands...how are they ruled? A council of the Lords or every Duke for himself? I have a Noble, Descendent from Royalty and Auncish character and I wanted to establish more of her background. (Luckiest character I have. She has 1 Luck but everything other than purple, she passes. It's gotten to the point where I thought the game was bugged but no other character of mine does that)

I'm got some more questions if you don't mind answering them. :blush:.

Like, how is Mineta run? The Captain is Captain of the Guards or more? Do Guilds / Costers run the place? And what is the age where it's legally allowed to drink and what's there to drink? Ale, mead, beer...tequila? Will we get a quaffing skill later on?

Is the music Renaissance style or do we have more modern influences? What's the age where most children (non-magical) get out of school? There are schools for them, I expect. I'm interested in almost anything you can say about it. I recently re-read Eric and thought 'what about those people who aren't wizards?' (for the record, I'd trade all my 5 background points for a Luggage familiar)

Considering some enter schools (the ones in the background) at around age 8, they should be apprenticed somewhere, but what about those who want to know science and stuff? Are there studies that wonder about how the universe was born, I wonder? After all, physics and math don't really need magic to study it properly and there has tu exist at least one un-gifted noble child that has to learn these.

MadHatt;

Hmm, a luggage familiar! :)

There is no formal inquiry into the sciences, unless you have a patron, although the new University at Pievre may qualify. Apprenticeships do begin as young as 8 (actually, sometimes even younger!)

Mineta is run by the Captain of Mineta, who is at this point technically the steward of the Empire of Man.

My vote is 100% for a Quaffing Skill, but I don't think you'll see that appear until Year 4 or 5. There is no legal drinking age at this period in history, although drunken students learning magic is such a dangerous idea that the Academagia provides magically cleansed water as your only drink. ;)

Music is Late Renaissance, Early Reformation. Non-magical children (if they even attend a school) exit when they test out, or, more accurately, when their Parents lose patience and/or funds. There are very few Universities which offer set curriculum, or rigorous academic method, outside of the Academagia.

Yes, I do remember in a Neverwinter Nights game a tale where a sorceror or wizard tried to light his pipe with a fireball while drunk. I thought that would make an interesting bar story. Still, I thought that since everyone offered you milk or non-alcoholic drinks, there would at least be a 14/16 drinking age. Or that the pirates would offer some rum. Maybe they didn't want to share...

So the Captain of Mineta does all the crime activities and financial/political ones....That poor man. No wonder he was tired even after his vacation. I'd never get out of bed.

If you do add a Luggage familiar, it should threaten a dragon at some point. Or eat one. Whichever comes first.

Non-magical children (if they even attend a school) exit when they test out, or, more accurately, when their Parents lose patience and/or funds. There are very few Universities which offer set curriculum, or rigorous academic method, outside of the Academagia.

I wonder if this could hapen to one of the Students we meet so fare.

The small golden crest on the Durand uniforms (girls seem to wear it on the collar, while boys seem to wear it just below the collar). Almost every student wears it on their left, in what I assume is an attempt to have the crest over the heart, excluding Honors, Magsa, maybe Durand (whose is hidden by his books), and a very tiny possibility of Kurt (the positioning is too low to assume, but I think a bit of the crest would peek up if it was on the right for him).

Any reason why those students wear it differently?

Durand is also the only collage where the upper uniform is different between boys and gals (save for that the Godina lapels are in general slightly larger for boys then gals) that I can see: the boys wear a white shirt with a collar up to their neck (though not buttoned, to show a bit of skin), while the girls wear a white shirt with no collar (usually seen in tube-tops and sleeveless shirts in the modern day) that seems designed to, er, in later years, show cleavage. (Not that one couldn't show cleavage with the open top the boys wear, but how much skin they show seems to be up to them- Piccolet's is quite modest, while Jere's very much isn't (and Kurt seems to have decided to combine the styles). I really can't see any other reason for the design to be different.

Why is the Durand uniform modified so for the girls? If a female student was uncomfortable with that and wanted to wear a shirt up to the neck more similar to the boys (like the Godina students do) would it be allowed?

...I notice the strangest things.

Do you have any descriptions on what the rest of the uniform for each collage looks like? I made up stuff for Renate, but I know it can't be right and I'm intensely curious on the exact truth (and I'm sure it would be helpful for future roleplays). Aranaz in particular interests me: it almost looks like the main robe might be the blue-grey, with the darker blue that we mostly see actually simply a long sleeved cape/jacket.

I imagine things in my head- I assume the embroidery on the Hedi soldiers is either used again around the waist or at the tip of the robe, and I wonder about the theme of gold: it seems all uniforms save for Vernin's seem to have a tiny touch of it (that we can see) which is interesting on its own.

Are the uniforms always the same, too? Can students wear shorts rather then pants under the uniform, and are short sleeved models available?

(Am I correct in that Vernin seems the be the only one with shorter sleeves (three-quarter length, it looks like from Amada)?)

When it comes to uniform exactness, how strict is each Regent, would you say? I know Badcrumble is very strict (at least with girls, but I assume with the boys as well so they look like proper little gentlemen worthy of being in her lovely collage). Silke's ability to do some modifications to hers (at least if I understand her bio) and Rui's habit of walking around in constantly tattered ones speak that Regent Massioti and Regent di Lucca Alazzo are less so (... or perhaps, M is less so, and dLA simply can't get Rui under control). Professor Briardi I imagine wouldn't worry about small things like that, but would be strict on it being properly clean, length, etc etc, but that's just my current thoughts...

...What exactly do Rimbal jersey's look like?

Do the months of Kapsus and Theriventus only have the weirdest weather ever because they're not yet in game and thus haven't been set up to Random, or is there seriously snow heat wave snow heat wave snow heat wave snow heat wave? It's sort of awesome/frightening to ponder.

Mikka;

Haha, no! Kapsus and Theriventus are just placeholders. It's very hot during the summer. :)

I'll have to see if I can get some descriptions of the whole uniforms from the artist- I know they do exist.

As to uniform exactness, it depends on the Regent and then of course your Class Professors, who can weigh in on little things they dislike. Probably the ones most interested in correctness would be Badcrumble and possibly von Rupprecht and Briardi as distant seconds and thirds. There are no winter/summer uniforms- as a student of magic, you are eventually expected to be able to control the environment around you to make this unnecessary. It's a problem for wizards which do not specialize in the forms of magic that can do this, of course...;)

I am very curious about Professor Ringraeyer...

As in, "she always wear expensive evening-wear stuff"....

Is she wearing an evening dress beneath the instructor's uniform? Seems awfully painful to wear elaborate stuff under that cloak-robe thingy...

What about shoes? Can you get away with wearing scandals sandals? And jewellery?

(Wear a Schwarzbart Weed like a flower on your head?)

What I'm curious about are the pants...have zippers been invented there or is it just strings and buttons? Considering there are doorknobs around (patented in 1878), zippers should be around too (1851).

How high should the heels be for women/men? And the evening wear is Renaissance type (huge) or something like a modern yet more modest dress? Do people wear robes and cloaks (for the hood)? Because that would be ...a large mass of clothes. Of course, when someone says robe, I think Jedi and Jedi robes (Master, not Knight) are very large.

@CremePudding you have some strange views about this weed ^^

Just some points from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed why Schwarzbart Weed have the Weed in his name.

Weeds may be unwanted for a number of reasons: they might be unsightly, or crowd out or restrict light to more desirable plants (especially crop plants) or use limited nutrients from the soil.

Some weeds are a nuisance because they have thorns or prickles, some have chemicals that cause skin irritation (Root sap) or are hazardous if eaten (For grazing Animals), or have parts that come off and attach to fur or clothes.

@ Creme

Well, Silke gets away with two necklaces, large dangling earrings, and a flower in her hair. And the majority of jewelry doesn't add any value to your encumbrance or 'ILLLEEEGALLLLL' factor, so I assume they're okay. I'm guessing they might make you take them off for certain classes (I can imagine no big jewelry being allowed in certain Zoology lessons, and maybe all enchanted items being removed for some Enchantment), but well, if she can get away with it, so can everyone else! >.>

I also imagine the culture is a bit changed so that boys wandering around with five rings, two bracelets, a necklace, and pocketwatch isn't that unusual, because it would be no fun otherwise.

Gloves don't seem to add much to the 'BAD NO WEAR' factor, nor do cloaks. To add that up with earlier mentions about cloaks and how they're not really allowed, I assume that they're like... small cloaks. More shawl like (as in they could, with squinting, be seen as fashion accessory rather then safety from weather necessary). But that's only what I'm choosing to believe...

I'm interested to see if kids could get away with say, black boots. It's a fashion accessory, yo!

I also have a picture of kids trying to get around the uniform code and individualism by doing what modern kids do: with boots, changing in the plain black lacing for colorful dyed strings and colors. Hm...