Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Well I suspect that in some classes case sometimes they need another day to go over a particularly difficult concept. for example, in poor Monetario's case, I kind of think that if he were to teach something like geometric triangulation, he might need more that one day to go over it. especially in an era before calculators. I think that happens with all classes.

Yes there is probably a huge amount of repetition and most subjects are probably more complex than they appear at first, which explains why most students need to follow the classes and there is probably a decent amount of wasted time which most teen students will use to relax instead of learn. Perhaps most adult students as well, depending on motivation at least.

I just assume that the main character must be a driven and determined genius judging by how fast and easily he/she learns not just class skills but fairly in depth knowledge of a wide array of skills. It fits pretty well with the concept of a classic future archmage/dark lord in training.

I just hope some of the other npcs are adjusted upwards a bit for year 2 because they generally don't learn enough to be proper competition which doesn't really fit with their descriptions.

Fish is absolute understandable if it is not thought at all as water where fish can live is uncommon - rare in this setting!

Lake Ardica is one of the few places where we might find the things called fish.

It would still make sense for the Zoology teacher to give the occasional lecture, enough that you might end up at 5 in the subskills that aren't focused on.

Also seeing as Lake Ardica is so close by I doubt it'd matter that fish are rare elsewhere. Aren't there lakes on most of the isles anyhow? Anyways, Regnault Pachait seems the type to bring students to see all sorts of useless things if he finds them interesting.

To clarify - Trigonometry has a train modifier of 1. It's as easy to learn as Birds. Or Fish, actually. Speaking of the Zoology professor, read Random Event - Zoology Field Trip. I'd like to add that most Zoology random events are some variation of "Today the professor shows off animal X but it has escaped/gone mad/something and is about to eat you. Now what?".

One thing I'd like to ask is whether people think classes should be buffed, how much if at all, and why. Personally I'd like to see it buffed to the point where you actually learn something more often than not, they're really not up to standard for what I'd expect from a school like the Academagia.

I think classes are too ineffective, it gives the impression that the teachers are horrible when the difference between self-study and class study is that huge. Granted, most study actions assume you have access to the massive libraries of the Academagia which a skilled mind can put to good use, but a bit of a buff would be nice. Again, if the player is a genius it might be somewhat realistic that he'd learn faster on his own, as long as he had access to a comprehensive library.

To really be effective it'd have to increase the train modifier of most skills to reduce overall learning and then buff classes to make them one of the best options for learning at least the topic being taught.

Or maybe relevant research topics might occasionally get a few steps, one of the worst things when comparing player characters to npcs is that generally the player has huge amounts of attributes while the npcs gain few. I guess it depends on exactly how exceptional the player is supposed to be.

A more advanced feature would be that aside from the "study" rankings that multiply your skill to get your scores, you'd have attendance factor in as well, to symbolize all the little things you get told in a class setting that is more about the exams than truly learning the topic at hand. So if you have skipped half the year because you didn't need the teaching you might multiply your skill with 0.8 or something because while you knew the answer to what was being asked you didn't know how the teacher wanted to hear it or maybe much of the awesome stuff you know simply isn't being tested and the teacher asks about something from class that isn't generally applicable.

I'm more concerned about what it'd do to the other students. I'm pretty sure they attend all classes and get the skill steps for them, although unlike the player they don't do anything else with their time other than train those class skills and very few select others. I know that at least Eliana can score an 88 on the Botany mid-term, if Botany class were to get a buff (to the tune of +43 skill steps taught over the year)...yeah. I wonder what the finals scores might look like.

I agree with you that this might be a problem if I would have modified the core skills of a class but instead I added new SS or increased existing side skills that only got 1-3 increases so far.

But my main question is still if changing the class Skill list via a mod might give problems with importing chars to year 2.

From a coding standpoint, I can't see why it would. I'm pretty sure the only thing Y2 cares about is what classes you enrolled in, what you scored on the mid-term/exams, and your attendance record. What exact skills those classes teach and when shouldn't be relevant by themselves.

Of course it wouldn't be the first random engine quirk, so we'll need to wait for the Legate to confirm that one.

Speaking of which, is it possible for classes to teach research levels and/or DLC-added skills or are either/both a case of "engine limitation"? I've been looking into how to buff classes to the point where they're not made redundant by Train, as they are currently, and doing so without either DLC skills or RL is...impractical, to put it nicely.

Research is a clear impossible to give out through class via the official modtools as you have a fixed list of skills that can be given.

For skills added after 1.0 I'm not sure if they work with publish official content or some other way to use a mod base as basic for your mod because I know no clean way to publish a mod with this.

I just don't know why they have to reprimand me for doing a better job of preparing my clique for exams than the teachers do. I don't know how they can even tell whether I'm skipping class or not, since I frequently have Hide and Move Silently skills at 10, attributes 20 or better, a chance of discovery of often -10%, and I probably know at least two invisibility spells based on adventures. How are they catching me at this?

Its simply that they look who is in the class and your char is not there ;).

COD have no effect on skipping class to my knowledge it only helps to not get caught in locations where your not supposed to be there.

@Metis I forgot about Calendar -Effect where you probably can give out something to all students of a single class at a specific day but it is given to everyone of this class no mater if the person is sick at this day or skip the class.

Who do you think taught you those invisibility spells? The professors command far more magic than a first-year does, and I suspect Badcrumble has Astrology rolls that can roll well into the triple digits.

EDIT: What this game really needs is a fix for the mod tools and the engine. Hopefully this stuff becomes possible in Y2, at least, in case the Y2 classes prove to be on the lesser side of useful.

Edited by Metis

I taught myself the invisibility spells. Most of the time I don't even take classes in most of the pillars anymore, since they are a lot easier to be Informed of than some of the other classes, and being informed of subskills is one of the only things I find classes to actually be useful for. Probably that will change when year 2 is finally released, but for now most of my characters end up in classes like Rhetoric or History instead of Glamour or Incantation.

I WISH they taught me actual spells in class. Then maybe I would have an excuse to go! Instead I end up skipping something like 300 of the class slots in a year. Get some detentions too, but a lot fewer timeslots than classes would have taken.

How do Familiars cast spells without a wand? Is wandless casting a skill humans can learn? How does it differ from the way Dragons cast?

Why was the Dragon Emperor such a jerk?

1) Will the Academy backgrounds offer summer school in year 2 and if so what schools do so?

2) Is it possible to attend summer school at one of the Academy Backgrounds instead of going home?

3) Will some Heritage backgrounds make it impossible to join some of the Academy background class and if so what backgrounds?

Because it might be buried her the other question I had today

4)Is the modtools we have publishing the complet class training of a class where we changed something or just placing the changes in the Teaching we did to the mod?

With 15kb for the 4 Class I made changes I can't be sure about this.

I just don't know why they have to reprimand me for doing a better job of preparing my clique for exams than the teachers do. I don't know how they can even tell whether I'm skipping class or not, since I frequently have Hide and Move Silently skills at 10, attributes 20 or better, a chance of discovery of often -10%, and I probably know at least two invisibility spells based on adventures. How are they catching me at this?

They don't have any real need to catch you out of class, they can just look out at the class and notice that you once again isn't there. Maybe they even write down the attendance of all students on a daily basis like many real schools.

I taught myself the invisibility spells. Most of the time I don't even take classes in most of the pillars anymore, since they are a lot easier to be Informed of than some of the other classes, and being informed of subskills is one of the only things I find classes to actually be useful for. Probably that will change when year 2 is finally released, but for now most of my characters end up in classes like Rhetoric or History instead of Glamour or Incantation.

I WISH they taught me actual spells in class. Then maybe I would have an excuse to go! Instead I end up skipping something like 300 of the class slots in a year. Get some detentions too, but a lot fewer timeslots than classes would have taken.

How do Familiars cast spells without a wand? Is wandless casting a skill humans can learn? How does it differ from the way Dragons cast?

Which familiars are casting spells? Humans can learn how to enchant their hands/fingers with the temporary ability to act as a crude wand and I think it was possible to do so with tattoos for permanence as well. It's described as more difficult that way so I suppose if it's modelled ingame for next year it will subtract skill for casting that way (though I guess it would mostly be relevant for adventures). Not sure if its too advanced for a second year.

I'm also tempted to sign up for non-magic skills but I figure the eventual exam papers for when you leave the school would show grades and classes and I think it's cooler to have nearly pure magic classes. That's mostly just RP though. Not just learning magic but have it be officially recognized.

They also do teach spells and phemes it's included in the skills, sure you could learn it on your own but my character learns most of her legal spells from classes.

They don't have any real need to catch you out of class, they can just look out at the class and notice that you once again isn't there. Maybe they even write down the attendance of all students on a daily basis like many real schools.

Which familiars are casting spells? Humans can learn how to enchant their hands/fingers with the temporary ability to act as a crude wand and I think it was possible to do so with tattoos for permanence as well. It's described as more difficult that way so I suppose if it's modelled ingame for next year it will subtract skill for casting that way (though I guess it would mostly be relevant for adventures). Not sure if its too advanced for a second year.

I'm also tempted to sign up for non-magic skills but I figure the eventual exam papers for when you leave the school would show grades and classes and I think it's cooler to have nearly pure magic classes. That's mostly just RP though. Not just learning magic but have it be officially recognized.

They also do teach spells and phemes it's included in the skills, sure you could learn it on your own but my character learns most of her legal spells from classes.

I can go dig around in a bunch of the familiar adventures, but a fair number of them will have branches unlocked with one or more of the various casting subskills(incantation, glamour methods, negation) and in at least one case there is a certain familiar who has a Gates branch in their adventure. I entirely forget which familiar that WAS, though. Most of the results of these involve the familiars doing spellcasting.

I'm pretty sure that when Year 2 comes out I'm going to do new runthroughs for any actual characters I intend to use in Year 2, so when trying to dig up new lore and do adventures I haven't done yet, which is mostly what I've been doing lately, it's usually more interesting to me to have a lot of different skills available to me than to take Revision/Glamour/Incantation/Astrology/Negation as my classes when most of those are much easier to pick up. Probably I'll send some characters into Year 2 with a bunch of magic classes, though.

Schwarzbart;

Bah! I missed the three. :)

1) Will the Academy backgrounds offer summer school in year 2 and if so what schools do so?

I don't believe so, no, although I think there are some benefits for selecting them which appear in vacation.

2) Is it possible to attend summer school at one of the Academy Backgrounds instead of going home?

No, I don't think so.

3) Will some Heritage backgrounds make it impossible to join some of the Academy background class and if so what backgrounds?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Schwarzbart, on 22 Mar 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:snapback.png

4)Is the modtools we have publishing the complet class training of a class where we changed something or just placing the changes in the Teaching we did to the mod?

I believe it is complete.

About Familiar I remember to read that Familiar can cast spells trough the Bound with the Wizard, given that it is known that Humans also can be bound to a Wizard as a familiar I think we have your answer.

Schwarzbart, on 22 Mar 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:snapback.png

I believe it is complete.

Edit: Outch ok then I have a bit of work in front of me duplicate the state of DLC 16 in my mod.

Wait wait wait, so what you are saying is that I need to become the Familiar of one of the other students?

Or are you suggesting that I engage in a familiar bond with Diavesque, since hey, that'd probably work, even if it is a terrible terrible idea.

The worst idea.