Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Yeah the sphinx adventure is especially hard for what i remember just after you talk to the Sphinx where even the "retreat" option was red for me and if you fail any of the options you lose the adventure and the imperial reserve rights... FUUUUUU... uh well quick load :P:P:P

2) Can you share the name of people who managed to focus on two or even more skill sets (i.e. Astrology and Negation) of different college for all 5 years instead of just one?

Poliseno Cassattano, the legendary Bulwark of the South, came out of the Academy a master of Glamour and Astrology - skill sets that allowed him to turn back the Saisyne Armada without ever raising a wand in anger. Salvatore di Cossa was a prodigy in Enchantment and Revision. Elspetha of Thewkes, the Fire Dancer, doubled in Glamour and Incantation and somehow still managed to graduate a year early. And, back in the days when Icanicix was still an active College, there was an entire semi-secret society - the Twisting Way - devoted to helping kids double up on Gates and Revision.

can you give us the college of each of those brilliant students please ? :)

That was quick- here you go. :)

"Cassattano was pure Hedi. Heck, he was writing letters to the school begging to be let into Hedi when he was eight years old; his track was clearly set from very early on.

Di Cossa was in Vernin - where he had a Regent who bent over backwards to let him take the classes that interested him (and opt out of prerequisites he didn't want).
And Elsphetha? She actually started in Hedi, got expelled from the school when she was fourteen, and was re-accepted into the Academagia as a member of Godina within three days of her departure."

The sphinx adventure has a couple of investigations that increase CoS. I'm not sure, but I think these might affect the whole time period. I definitely pulled off a red roll at that tiger stage on the first try which may have been luck or might have been Chance of Success kicking in.

Edit: for real pain there's the Chipmunk Problem zoology adventure. Duel roll against 21 as the only option to get the ability increase? Ouch

"Cassattano was pure Hedi. Heck, he was writing letters to the school begging to be let into Hedi when he was eight years old; his track was clearly set from very early on.[/size]

Di Cossa was in Vernin - where he had a Regent who bent over backwards to let him take the classes that interested him (and opt out of prerequisites he didn't want).

And Elsphetha? She actually started in Hedi, got expelled from the school when she was fourteen, and was re-accepted into the Academagia as a member of Godina within three days of her departure."

Wow could this actual happen to a player char who skipped to many class that (s)he get expelled and then still can continue with a different college?

"Cassattano was pure Hedi. Heck, he was writing letters to the school begging to be let into Hedi when he was eight years old; his track was clearly set from very early on.

Ha i knew it. Di Cossa is from Vernin, i shall call him sensei starting today i am sure he has a lot to teach to young vernin :wub::wub: .

Wow could this actual happen to a player char who skipped to many class that (s)he get expelled and then still can continue with a different college?

If you can convince the regent of the college. Most likely the answer.

I expect politics plays a role. You'd have to be competent in the other college skills and the regent would have to like you. Personally I think that it would be best to not be in that situation at all.

What exactly does Revision have that makes it ideal for use with Gates? I suppose I can see revising animals might be useful given the art of creating monsters, but why is high-powered Revision supposed to be hard to distinguish from Gates in some adventures? Is it just the player character's inexperience?

isadorbg Because the Proextra Court have to decide if you're expelled or not and all Regent and the Legate are part of this I personal have doubts it will happen again. The only time I really can see it happening is that a favourite of Professor von Rupprecht drop out and he takes him/her into Aranaz.

But lets the Legate answer it because I am not 100% sure and that's why I asked.

isadorbg Because the Proextra Court have to decide if you're expelled or not and all Regent and the Legate are part of this I personal have doubts it will happen again. The only time I really can see it happening is that a favourite of Professor von Rupprecht drop out and he takes him/her into Aranaz.

Hmm, I think we all know exactly how it would happen.

Stage 1. Student A is found guilty of hideous crime and expelled with the condemnation of the regent of their college (college A) despite the soaring rhetoric of[insert name of beloved and glorious student B, loyal friend of student A / passer-by with an adventure habit] in student A's defence which permitted the Court to expel Student A rather than do something permanent and unfortunate.

Stage 2. Student B aids Student A in maintaining their studies despite the expulsion, swipes the offical court notice before it is sent to Student A's parents, and prepares a shelter for Student A in the nearby woods after driving out some [insert Yr 2 monster of choice] that laired in the shelter

Stage 3. Student B investigates the alleged crime, and after a long trail of amusing and informative tests (and also cookies in an apparent side-trek which had a surprising yet rewarding outcome which made sense in restrospect after unlocking lores in 3 unrelated skills) proves the innocence of Student A and through dragging student A through the adventure aids student A in redeeming their good name, thereby gaining the right to put forward an appeal to the court (thanks to the intervention of Regent B for whom an appropriate proof of Student A's good character which entirely coincidentally happened to resolve an issue regent B had been struggling with according to a well persuaded/remunerated/blackmailed source of student B ).

Stage 4: Student B persuades college regent B to accept student A into their college with an impassioned yet meticulously researched court appeal whilst also preserving the dignity of Regent A who was not required to admit their error and indeed causing the entire court was made to appear both Just (in expelling the miscreant), and Forgiving (permitting them a chance to redeem themselves) - in particular Regent B.

Just as long as the court doesn't look too closely into exactly what student B did and how they did it. :ph34r:

Bonus marks if you induct them into your own college. :)

Yeah, but do wizards 'procreate' so quickly? If I had a shot to live to 300 I wouldn't necessarily feel a need to have kids at 20. hell I'm almost 30 irl and don't want kids so I'm a little curious about how wizards handle that in setting.

Well the core of my question was involving a family that carried magic down through the generations. Sure there'd be some who might not learn magic, but I suspect that it would be a branching of the family at that point.

Now then you have the problem when this mage start to change their body to stop the aging because I'm not sure if this is so healthy for the fertility or the offspring.

Beside with modern science we know that after 40 there are more and more issues with the birth and the health of the baby so even for mages the window to get offspring is most likely limited.

Schwarzbart;

The 50-50 problem wasn't solved very well in Y1, and I don't think there's a good solution for it either. Y2 handles that better, though.

Regarding magic and fertility, it depends on how you extend your life, but it is possible to remain fertile for a very long period of time. I don't know how many generations can be alive simultaneously, but I bet it's more than 6. :)

If a person used a Gates related pheme, say.... 'Muscle' in a non-Gates spell to increase ones strength, would the chaos factor show itself?

How approving are the faculty on a first, or second year fidgeting with spells and phemes crossing multiple pillars?

What rights do wizards have in law when discovering a spell in regard to how it is distributed? would a student be strong-armed into revealing any particularly unique spell he discovered while fidgeting with spells and phemes crossing multiple pillars?

Can a person use something else to physically Negate a spell? or must it be a mage's body?

What Magic can be used for editing/reforming existing magic? say examining and adding a single pheme to an existing spell?

-don't remember if this question was asked before but... how mages view pillar in regard to magic ? what i mean is do they believe each pillar is completly different to the point that they see each pillar as a "magic" in itself more like how arithmetic and geometry were in those time before being united in mathematics altough there is still a debate in the scientific community if it's mathematic or mathematicS ;) .

So Magics or Magic ?

- What about those magics that doesn't fall in a pillar? from what i understood the pillar theory has been built so all magic can fall into one of these pillar but some magic like Orthography and Enchant are viewed as a special case apparently almost like pillar themselves? What i mean is what is the position of those two in the magic theory.

And the "exotic" magics like fae magic are they seen as being a variant of the established pillar or different magic all togheter. (like Human magics with the pillars and Fae magics, Dragon magics etc)

The Legate said that there are magics (my personal preference on the term, I don't know about lore-wise) that do not fall under a single pillar but this is thought to be due to a lack of understanding of the rawest fundamentals and expected to fall neatly somewhere when knowledge grows on the subject.