Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Is y2 going to support having 2 Familiars or is that... Later?

Y2.

2. Is there a warship famous for being very large/powerful?

Yes, the most famous Warship in Elumia right now is built by Ruckmarn, but I do not recall the name. It is a very large steam/magic driven ship.

3. Can we get a background where the family is infamous for having a wizard or two in it that were caught defying the bans on the proscribed arts? Long ago of course...

I don't think they plan any new Backgrounds until Y2 is released, unfortunately. It's a good one, though!

4. Are there any islands that have holes in them large enough to see Cyve underneath?

Yes, a few.

5. I actually have an idea for a Y2 transfer student. Not concrete yet, but If I start writing something after Pebbles... all of these following questions are related to that concept.

A. Does Elumia have any traditions on name changing, (particularly name shortening) say to try to cut with their past?

Oh, yes. :)

B. And how good would you have to be in Revision to have a single well-practiced form changing revision spell last for a duration of at least a week? (nothing too outlandish, the person would still be human)

If it was well practiced, and they had help, and possibly had a specialized wand, it's certainly possible in Y2.

C. Regarding the Chameil School, I want to gauge how good with Revision a graduate may be. I assume if the player went there, it was not for long?

Correct, just early in their life. They are excellent, but the brightest students and instructors tend to go to Mineta rather than Chameil.

D. What are the Academagia's rules on Name Registration? I assume the Legal name of a student would be used particularly if it were a powerful family name. (Even if the kid hated it, and chose not to namedrop said name at all outside very formal situations)

There isn't exactly a strict definition of a legal name, but claiming a noble's family name is usually punishable by death.

There isn't exactly a strict definition of a legal name, but claiming a noble's family name is usually punishable by death.

So the twelve year old pretending he's a noble is legally just as bad as the man that uses illegal magic to summon a Dragon and burn a city down to the ground. That, believe it or not, actually helps me.

Metis;

Ah! Missed yours:

6. Does Y2 allow for items to cost more than 999 Pims?

Yes. :)

7. What would a wand with +1 Finesse, +1 Patrol and all it's subskill, Movement Affinity cost? I assume it'd be more than 1K Pims, but the game is rather inconsistent about what something costs.

It depends on the maker; it isn't set. I definitely would think it would cost well over 1k, though.

1. So, if Y1 material is sufficient knowledge to eke out a magical career.. Is this equally true of the forbidden pillars? To rephrase, with what is learned of them in Y1, could a preban mage have had the same opportunities? or more accurately does Y1's material on them represent what would have been taught had the bans not existed.

2. Also, are maps of the various known planes/realms deemed illegal?

2) why old? Is it illegal to map other planes even if nothing illegal is done to travel there ? like using a preban gate object ?

b ) Plus i think its possible to travel to another dimension by using Negation right? i remember someone asking how could we reach gate mages who hide themselves in other dimension and that Negation was a way to caught them without using illegal magic.

But especially for these two...I think you'd want someone more experienced

That's a bit of a tease, isn't it? "don't do this cool magic... But if you're going to anyway, be sure to do it a lot." :)

I think there are morally acceptable ways to cross at least certain dimensions, as otherwise the mages at Schohanwicht wouldn't have to hide their identity.

If anything I'd say pre-ban students know more than a PC can post-ban. IIRC a lot of knowledge of the forbidden school was burned after the ban, and I doubt the PC managed to recollect it all.

EDIT: Oh hi page 230, didn't see you there <_<

Edited by Metis

well year 1 knowledge is very basic stuff so it shouldn't be hard for a PC to reach the same level of a preban year 1 student.

However the legate has already strongly hinted that it will become harder in future years to get advanced knowledge to all type of magic as mages are not really the sharing type :P .

Of course it will be even harder to convince rogue mages to share their knowledge of illegal magic and like you said many part of them are likely forgotten as well.

Few questions:

1. IIRC Mastery can be used to create "intelligent" enchanted items. Can these items independently cast their own spells, provided those items have/are something that can reasonably draw phemes and are taught how to draw them?

2. If a person tries to Negate what they firmly believe is a Glamour, that in truth is actually a Revision, will they have a harder time Negating it until they figure out the mystery?

3. Can attempting to Negate a Negation result in complete failure simply because what is attempted to be Negated it, itself, a Negation? I remember a random event that said something to that effect, but I don't remember the details.

Time magic is tied up in Gates, isn't it?

That would explain a lot of things, from why the Vernin tower is not typically brought up in conversations, to a good part why Euneycia appears so old and yet is still spry, and even the Legate's hush hush treatment of the concept.

Related to 1) Isn't the Wand of Ahriman's Mission we can gain in year 1 such a intelligent item?

Schwarzbart;

A lively debate could be had on that topic...and the Wand itself may have some ideas, too. :)

And that's why you shouldn't post questions when you're tired, you forget your own freaking plots. Right, Ahriman. His past will be explained in the Y2 adventure, but you can actually find a few hints in Y1 already if you're really paying close attention to the exact wording he uses. Or it might just be a typo. That's also possible.

What facilities does Mineta have in terms of mental health? (outside of insane asylums! :wacko:) Specifically dealing with a child perceived to be troubled.

I'd like to think that they'd just be hardcore old school and just say "the kid obviously needs more discipline, where's my rod?" but that's perhaps a bit too unsettling for my other other story I'm fiddling with ;) I just need an example or two of a place for richer people willing to spend those pims.

A spanking, grounding, community service and a prison cell respectively.

I imagine most places of that nature to be magic snake oil salesman. What's the name again, a psychotrickerist? If the family (the kid included) are desperate and well informed they can turn to House Kazus, but how effective that would be depends on the exact nature of their "trouble".

I tend to agree with you that these sorts of places are full of 'professional moneygrubbers' But that works for me, because since they really don't work as advertised, the kid will only grow to be more rebellious and [redacted] which is what I'm going for.

Also, house Kazus, really? As if any sane person would go to a place whose people are known for practicing Mastery in the past and kinda, sorta still do...

Also, house Kazus, really? As if any sane person would go to a place whose people are known for practicing Mastery in the past and kinda, sorta still do...

That'd be what a layman says, but someone who does his homework would know better. And if the parents are desperate enough, a Persuasion roll would be enough to convince them.

Although if that doesn't fit into your plans you can easily say they just don't know about it - House Kazus doesn't exactly openly advertise it's services seeing the states of the law, and the few people gossiping about might choose not to discuss Mastery where a guard might hear them and draw the wrong conclusions.

Well, true.

What I have is a concept for y2 for a transfer student. The background is mostly written, too. (Although I'm not even thinking about adventures until y2 is released and pebbles is done.) It's just that I need to get a reason for a black sheep troublemaking kid to transfer from Chameil to the Academagia on Daddy's pims. I want to work the angle that it's player intervention that actually gets the kid to enroll, and in order to do so, the player has to actually meet the kid somewhere on summer break. The poor kid recently was expelled from Chameil for [redacted] and I figure meeting the player while the kid is in Mineta being 'cured' is a good way to do it. I just need a reason to put the kid.. well, wherever the player is during summer break. (Though I'd rather make it Mineta exclusive for simplicity in writing, I'm open to other ideas.)

Well, true.

What I have is a concept for y2 for a transfer student. The background is mostly written, too. (Although I'm not even thinking about adventures until y2 is released and pebbles is done.) It's just that I need to get a reason for a black sheep troublemaking kid to transfer from Chameil to the Academagia on Daddy's pims. I want to work the angle that it's player intervention that actually gets the kid to enroll, and in order to do so, the player has to actually meet the kid somewhere on summer break. The poor kid recently was expelled from Chameil for [redacted] and I figure meeting the player while the kid is in Mineta being 'cured' is a good way to do it. I just need a reason to put the kid.. well, wherever the player is during summer break. (Though I'd rather make it Mineta exclusive for simplicity in writing, I'm open to other ideas.)

:blink:...So. Much. Potential.

As strongly as I doubt you'd ever even consider anything of the sort, just imagine this:

The PC meets the kid (which I don't want to keep referring to as "the kid", so I'll just dub him "Rick") while visiting Leene and crew during the summer holidays. As Nhordum quietly explains, Leene brought him in after a small "incident" occurred in the streets in which he was almost brought to the Guard post for a lecture on bad behaviour, possibly more. Leene witnessed this event and managed to convince the guard to go easy on Rick, if he agreed to open up about his behaviour. Rick weighed his options and decided that if he was going to get a lecture anyway he'd rather get it from the person who's voice he can reasonably tolerate, so he choose to go with Leene. He naturally had no idea, so he rather nonchalantly followed her back to the shop under the impression that with a few insignificant "confessions" he'd get off easy and be allowed to leave, never seeing her again. Leene, having graduated from the Academagia enrolled in Dialectic, Rhetoric and personally favouring social skills on the side, very effectively pushed Rick into a corner where his choices boiled down to either tell his life story to the friendly (if creepy) person, or accepting a lecture and than some from a guard. He chose the former, mentioning a key point about the reason behind his issues - Leene knows she can cure him. Actually cure him. Leene decides to drop that bombshell on him, leaving him, again, with two options. Accept whatever this crazy girl has in store, or continue with his life as normal. Morbid curiosity, a life not currently worth much and an ever-present hope for improvement all end up convincing him to "test" Leene first, before deciding on what to do. So, under Leene's direction he was Embraced. That resulted in him very quickly coming to realize two things. First, Leene's the real deal. Weird, but the real deal. Two, he wants that magic for himself.

The PC and Nhordum make some unimportant comments before Nhordum excuses himself, which leaves the PC free to talk with Rick. His mind is blown and he's not willing to open up to the PC right now, but some rolls and pointing out of common ground at least gets him to acknowledge the PC's existence. With some prodding and poking the PC learns about his desires, which s/he reluctantly brings to Leene. Leene mentions something odd - Rick has a natural talent for the craft, essentially his mind can easily accept and interpret Mastery effects (remember the acid trip the PC had in Y1? Rick didn't). The PC and Leene both decide to just be honest about it, and they inform Rick thereof, who says he needs some time to think things over. Some time later Rick, Leene, the PC and Nhordum come together and Rick announces his decision. "I can't just ignore what I've learned, but at the same time I can't just change who I am overnight or give up on who I am.". Leene corrects him saying that, yes, with her magic and help he essentially can, which she's all too willing to provide. Rick nods, but points out that he's not willing to agree to undergo such drastic measures ever, although he could be convinced to change piece by piece, so he gives Leene an offer: If she and her friends can, somehow, tie up some loose ends he left behind for him, he'll agree to - slowly - change his life and learn their craft. Those terms are agreed to, and the PC is send along errants as Nhordum is working on something else entirely (House Kazus' succession issue, because he and Leene will refuse it. Yes, there's potential there for Rick) and Leene is busy with sorting out Rick's most notable issues, so she's also busy. The PC first investigates Chameil and learns about Rick's suspension, tying up any loose ends there. The PC next brings the matter up with House Kazus itself, who are very interested in learning about Rick's natural talent. So much so, in fact, they "ask" Legate Orsi if he's willing to accept a "transfer student", because that talent is rare (if only to find) and they want it. The Legate says he's fine with it so long as both the kid and his family agrees to it, so the PC is send to act as an ambassador for House Kazus (who are too busy themselves due to the succession issue) to convince them that it's really freaking important to send their delinquent kid to the Academagia. Rick's farther is, through some means or another, convinced to send Rick there on his Pims, and the PC rapports back to Rick and Leene with his/her success. Rick is impressed and after thinking it over again (translation: secretly doing some sleuthing around to see if the PC really did manage to accomplish all that) agrees to change his life, which Leene and Nhordum immediately make official with a Mark. He's a tad bit lost, but enrolls into the Academagia all the same.

You can, from that point, fast-forwards about half a year and have Rick enter the succession issue, as well. Nhordum's father, even being a mage aside, could easily spend another 20 years running the family - if Rick is chosen successor, he wouldn't actually succeed anyone until he's reached his thirties.