Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

And now I realise why I never thought of it before. Go figure.

Still, I think we can assume that Mastery will get other tricks than "force character X to do Y (for Z days)". Otherwise Mastery will be rather indefensible, since as how in that case the least malevolent thing the first 21 ranks of Mastery would have is Seal Against Mastery.

there will be at least telepathy I guess and maybe some other things but I am not very optimistic. I think pretty much all the good part of Mastery have been transfered to Glammour or are legal like Sync (tough barely) so I expect year 2 Mastery to be even more nastier than year 1 :rolleyes: .

What I'm hoping to see is the foundation for memory manipulation, and maybe even a Sync/Mastery hybrid specialization skill. Good luck finding a tutor for the last one, though, because House Kazus doesn't keep records of how to teach that knowledge.

Yes, especially for the people that get subjected to it long-term, but, you know, when did that ever stop anyone? It can't be too evil, since otherwise it'd run into the problem of "someone this lacking in empathy shouldn't be able to use Sync to begin with", but remember that there's certain things that Sync simply cannot do which Mastery can. And those few things, well, they won't be pleasant for the patient...but if the end justifies the means...

One of those thing, as you probably know, is taking direct control over someone. Another thing, incidentally, is direct memory manipulation. Sync can erode, disconnect and (re-)connect memories, but it can't actually change a memory. Like, Sync can (slowly) make it so a kid who witnessed a murder won't feel anything from that memory, or make it so the kid no longer connects the murder with something similar they remember seeing before, or even completely disconnect the entire event from everything so that the kid will never think about it unless specifically asked. The problem is that all those treatments take time, especially that last one. Even more so if there's actual trauma involved. Not nearly as long as it would IRL, but it'd still take a long time. I imagine half a year for complete disconnection of a single traumatic memory assuming, say, the patient got a session every five days - that'd be 36 sessions BTW.

Sync cannot, however, completely remove the memory or alter it so the kid remembers something else entirely. You'll need Mastery for that. I personally imagine that for those things Mastery and Sync is like a choice between short-term relief and long-term issues or short-terms issues and long-term relief. And that is the draw to combine the two, and why someone with empathy might still try it, despite their better judgement. Imagine Sync's results in Mastery's amount of time. BTW, remember when I said repeated Embraces over a short amount of time had side-effects? Yeah. 5 days between sessions isn't dangerous, but it's pushing it.

Some new questions on the favorite topics in the forum: :rolleyes:

1) For the previous unban of the forbidden ones. How were treated the mages who learned those when they were still illegal ?

B ) did the unban was retroactive and they get an amnesty ?

C) What if they used those pillars, were they only pursued with the new legislation ?

D) Am I wrong if I say that those mages had a bad reputation even after the unban due to their blatant disrespect of the law ?

E) So the Academagia slowly reintroduced Mastery and Gates in their cursus. But where they found the professor ? did they took the former rogue mages ? or form new ones ?

isadorbg;

1) For the previous unban of the forbidden ones. How were treated the mages who learned those when they were still illegal ?

They were treated as criminals, although many pardons were given out.

B ) did the unban was retroactive and they get an amnesty ?

No.

C) What if they used those pillars, were they only pursued with the new legislation ?

No, the old as well.

D) Am I wrong if I say that those mages had a bad reputation even after the unban due to their blatant disrespect of the law ?

Some did.

E) So the Academagia slowly reintroduced Mastery and Gates in their cursus. But where they found the professor ? did they took the former rogue mages ? or form new ones ?

Both former and new, in most cases.

Well, there goes the dream of any student studying forbidden magic to lift the ban. Anyway:

1. This is probably just going to show my ignorance of law, not that this isn't deserved (AKA: Reason school doesn't work #Far-too-many), but is there a statute of limitations on the crime of learning illegal magic? As in, should the ban be lifted and studying/using previously illegal magic no longer be a crime, can pre-unban practitioners eventually no longer arrested for their old crimes? If not, does Mineta have statute of limitations at all?

Interesting answers :) . Those question came to mu mind after my little debate with free in this thread specifically the "gun part" since in my argumentation breaking the law is as big of a crime as the crime itself and I wondered how this should affect those unruly mages after a potential unban but damn i didn't think that would be so harsh ! (judging with the old legislation? nasty ! ) tough I am surprised that the Academagia would still recruit mages who practised Mastery and Gates during the ban.

Well, there goes the dream of any student studying forbidden magic to lift the ban. Anyway:

Well there still the "many pardon were given out" part ;) .

1. This is probably just going to show my ignorance of law, not that this isn't deserved (AKA: Reason school doesn't work #Far-too-many), but is there a statute of limitations on the crime of learning illegal magic? As in, should the ban be lifted and studying/using previously illegal magic no longer be a crime, can pre-unban practitioners eventually no longer arrested for their old crimes? If not, does Mineta have statute of limitations at all?

You mean after a certain amount of years, you can no longer be sued for your crimes like in modern legislation ?

well i don't think it applies to illegal practitioners since the old legislation apply to them (death penalty for knowldege of Mastery and Gates).

Plus since its a death penalty crime I don't think there is an "expiration" like grave crime in real life like murders, rape or crime against humanity.

And finally using my "gun" exemple again this crime (knowledge) is a permanent one (like permanetly holding an illegal gun) and cannot really expire.... but with the unban there might be a way to fix this... altough i won't recommend it... . :rolleyes:

Well there still the "many pardon were given out" part ;) .

True, but even so you'd still be at the mercy of the state. And whether they will hand you a pardon, well, who's to say what requirements there are for getting one?

You mean after a certain amount of years, you can no longer be sued for your crimes like in modern legislation ?

well i don't think it applies to illegal practitioners since the old legislation apply to them (death penalty for knowldege of Mastery and Gates).

Plus since its a death penalty crime I don't think there is an "expiration" like grave crime in real life like murders, rape or crime against humanity and finally using my "gun" exemple again this crime (knowledge) is a permanent one (like permanetly holding an illegal gun) and cannot really expire.... but with the unban there might be a way to fix this... altough i won't recommend it... . :rolleyes:

Yep, though in hindsight, if you can be tried for breaking since-abolished laws it seems unlikely that there's a statute of limitations. Still, mages can live for centuries, I think the authorities would want something to be able to say "we don't care to look into whether this man cast a then-illegal Gates spell 142 years ago" in Legal, so the unintelligent public (thank you, garbage school system!) wouldn't question it. Also, there's the question of whether there's a statute for minor crimes - say you robbed someone 50 years ago, does that legally still matter? I imagine someone eventually got tired of old people brining up things that happened when they were in school.

True, but even so you'd still be at the mercy of the state. And whether they will hand you a pardon, well, who's to say what requirements there are for getting one?

Yes and if my understanding of Elumnian politics is right there won't be an unban anytime soon and pardon are even less likely as such important change in the law need someone to make that law in the fist place and since there is no emperor... ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

(not even speaking the stunning popularity such change has it the magical community right now :rolleyes::rolleyes: ).

Yep, though in hindsight, if you can be tried for breaking since-abolished laws it seems unlikely that there's a statute of limitations. Still, mages can live for centuries, I think the authorities would want something to be able to say "we don't care to look into whether this man cast a then-illegal Gates spell 142 years ago" in Legal, so the unintelligent public (thank you, garbage school system!) wouldn't question it. Also, there's the question of whether there's a statute for minor crimes - say you robbed someone 50 years ago, does that legally still matter? I imagine someone eventually got tired of old people brining up things that happened when they were in school.

Well i don't know for minor crimes but if Elumnia follow the old real societies its on the whim of the state. Same for grave crime altough if we are still pursuing nazis 70 years after their crimes and with their old ages I don't see why 200 years old Gates mage wouldn't be but there again depends of the prosecutor whim.

Yes and if my understanding of Elumnian politics is right there won't be an unban anytime soon and pardon are even less likely as such important change in the law need someone to make that law in the fist place and since there is no emperor... ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Visions of the PC scheming to get him/herself crowed Emperor solely to lift the ban flying through my head. They are awesome.

That said, I think the Praetexta Court or whatever council runs the city could lift the ban, if they had enough support. Which, admittedly, is a rather big "if".

Visions of the PC scheming to get him/herself crowed Emperor solely to lift the ban flying through my head. They are awesome.

That said, I think the Praetexta Court or whatever council runs the city could lift the ban, if they had enough support. Which, admittedly, is a rather big "if".

Shh you will ruin it ! :P:rolleyes:

Well I guess its a good question to ask our good legate:

Who has the authority to lift the ban ? and what amount of support they would need for the mention to pass?

Metis;

There is no concept of a Statute of Limitations, unfortunately. And pardons are certainly at the whim of the state... ;)

isadorbg;

Technically, only the Emperor could lift the Ban. In practice, though, any sufficiently powerful or influential institution could do so. The Imperial Temple, for instance, has done it once.

There is no concept of a Statute of Limitations, unfortunately. And pardons are certainly at the whim of the state... ;)

So the state has the power to pick and choose which crime they're willing to forgive, no matter how old or how obsoleted those crimes are? Now there's an opening for corruption.

Technically, only the Emperor could lift the Ban. In practice, though, any sufficiently powerful or influential institution could do so. The Imperial Temple, for instance, has done it once.

And quite suddenly, Religion became just a slightly more important skill.

Metis;

Well what i meant is that for whatever reasons the (old) states might "forget" your crimes especially if your crimes was a long time ago/minor/ or in their interest to do so ;) . But they might remember later :rolleyes: so as long as you don't get an official pardon watch your back :rolleyes: .

But I guess it applies for Elumnia too ;) .

isadorbg;

Thats interesting. I can see now Free putting aside his doubt about religion and starting a holy career :rolleyes::D:P .

Nope.

I would see Gates unbanned before I turned attention to Mastery. If you get one unbanned, the other would be more likely to follow.

The way I would like to lift the ban on Gates is to solve the Chaos factor. That is most assuredly one of the reasons that it was banned, although definitely not the only one. Still, By attacking and neutralizing the ban's reason for existence, you will see it fall if you can apply pressure at the right spots.

I will probably try to make contact with the Gates communities for anonymous 'assistance', but if they were unwilling or unable to help... Then It will get more personal. Ideally the Puppet strings will have been behind part of the reasons for the ban and if so killing it (and taking credit for it) would be the perfect first step, even if I had to let the cat out of the bag about my skill In Gates.... I would do it like that. (so long as I had finished all other preparations beforehand)

But it really depends on how the game develops.

I will probably try to make contact with the Gates communities for anonymous 'assistance', but if they were unwilling or unable to help... Then It will get more personal. Ideally the Puppet strings will have been behind part of the reasons for the ban and if so killing it (and taking credit for it) would be the perfect first step, even if I had to let the cat out of the bag about my skill In Gates.... I would do it like that. (so long as I had finished all other preparations beforehand)

I cannot imagine that ending in any way that does not involve you getting your head put on the end of a pike, at least if you don't have "official" support. Who'd you go to for support, anyway?

Well, that all depends on whether you successfully manage to lift the ban before they can catch you. :)

It may be possible to inform them via written correspondence. That's what I'd do first. Everyone on the praetexta council would get a letter. Tell them everything they need to know. And come up with increasingly more open ways to spill the beans if the previous method gets quietly buried.

I am now envisioning you repeatedly trying to get your message across and it getting shot down every time until you go "Alright, that's it, they're going to hear me whether they want to or not!". Cue a bunch of Gates spell to summon in an entire parade, complete with circus animals and musicians, marching down the street towards the seat of government loudly announcing what you're done (leaving out a few "unimportant" details).

<facepalm>

A glamour Parade would serve the same function, and not get them to hate me. This is about UNBANNING gates, not the other way around.

...Maybe I should set the tune of the music to 'Prince Ali' from Aladin.