Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

@Leoshi there is a event where the char have to camp outside at a special night and there was also somthing about Unluck but sadly I dont remember the name of the event or I would have looked.

The char camps outside during a lunar eclipse which is a bad omen. I think the random event takes place in the mountains.

Edit: Yep, Random Event Mountain 3.

Just a curious question that just popped up in my mind.

We, as players, get random events. Do the NPC students ever get into any random events that could affect their skills/development?

Or, as something to the development-team: Should it not be so that the NPC participants in player random events also gain a Skill Step in a related skill? It would help in developing those characters a bit beyond the normal AI actions.

Another thing..

As I am adding the last of the students to the wiki.. I have noticed a few students that do not have any Study in their preferences or goals. Meaning they will probably have a very low exam result.

What do they need to reach to not get kicked out of school? Because if they are in my clique, I would like them to remain there for all the years.

/me looks at Sheary Warrington, amongst others.

We, as players, get random events. Do the NPC students ever get into any random events that could affect their skills/development?

Pretty sure there isn't because that would make the loading go on forever. Some npc have special NPC-only skill that give really nice boost or something to made up for it.

Another thing..

As I am adding the last of the students to the wiki.. I have noticed a few students that do not have any Study in their preferences or goals. Meaning they will probably have a very low exam result.

What do they need to reach to not get kicked out of school? Because if they are in my clique, I would like them to remain there for all the years.

Originally, they can be kicked out of the school, but since like half of the students end up failing or something, the dev disable that for year 1.

NPCs used to get random events in an old build (or were planned to), but loading and confusion made that have to stop, I think the Legate explained before.

I have a character demanding a duel at high noon. Is high noon in the first or second timespot? >.<

Pretty sure there isn't because that would make the loading go on forever. Some npc have special NPC-only skill that give really nice boost or something to made up for it.

Originally, they can be kicked out of the school, but since like half of the students end up failing or something, the dev disable that for year 1.

I was asking because they could do an end-of-week action that runs past all students and does some mock 'random events' and just gives some random effects to some or all students (included but not limited to skill expansions, changed emotions, stress or items).

And expulsion of NPCs being turned off for now does not mean they won't be kicked in later years or otherwise face consequences for low scores.

Yeah, originally the Students had Random Events, and could go through them just like Players. There are a couple of technical problems with this, leaving aside the increase in processing time, so it was dropped. In Year 2, we've renewed an investigating into this, but...at this point I don't think it's likely it will get in. Ultimately, though, the goal is to have the Students be able to experience what you can as a Player (for the most part) on their own. Should lead to some unexpected fun. :)

It's unlikely, but possible, for a Student to be expelled, because of the requisite number of failures in Classes they'd have to have. I've no doubt it will happen to some Students, though. That said, in Year 2 you'll be able to directly influence the habits of your Clique members (for better or for worse), so you'll be able to 'teach' Sheary to Study. You can also 'intervene' at certain high Skill levels when a Student is in distress, if they are in your Clique. I should say: it looks pretty good that this will make it in. :)

Legate

Would it not be an idea that the NPC students involved in the player random events get skill improvements based on their participation in said random event?

You don't need to implement any special NPC random events, they would just develop along with the player. But instead of adding a skill step, they would gain a full skill level instead. After all, the player probably experiences a lot more events than the NPCs. So that would make up for the difference.

'Fate', the concept. Something that sort of leads to something else I'm working on, and was brought up in the Morvidus adventure between the two crazy strong-willed adults, as I called it. How much attention does the average person pay to it? Is it brought up in Astrology? Would it be considered weird for a student to have a very strong belief in actions being 'fated'? Do people ponder questions about whether everything is destined by the gods and 'fate' or if they have total free will, or if the truth lies in the middle, or is that sort of thing not really thought about at all?

I've noticed quite a few references in works that speak of lost songs from Monteon. Would I be correct in that they had a strong musical and art tradition that's now for the most part long lost by the collapse?

Has there ever been any neat archeological finds on the campus? What would be the reaction of the faculty (versus that of the grounds keepers, who I imagine Would Not Be Pleased) if the students found a lone corner and started digging and mapping? (Especially if they promised cross-their-hearts to put the dirt back where it belonged?) How about in the Imperial Reserve? Could students get away with it, or are their too many suspicious eyes?

Besides the player character (who due to adventures, events and their ability to wrack up favor like no one else probably has a bit of an unfair advantage) are their any students that are particular favorites of any professors (whether the professor shows that bias or not)? I promise I won't tell them! Or the other students. >.>

I think it's been mentioned that basically everyone is born with magical potential, but obviously, the majority of people aren't mages. What makes a person become a mage and know that magic is their calling? Having a family with mages or having say, Shattered Mirrors Omen or Midnight Birth ("Hey, I think your kid might be good at Negation. Just a hunch.") seems like two common reasons, but what about for someone like, well, Kurt? With magic requiring written phemes, it doesn't seem kids can go the route of D&D sorcerers and psionics (or World of Darkness Mages, for that matter), or Harry Potter and other 'will' based magic systems ("I know she's a mage because she sets things on fire with her mind. Like our house. Owch.). So, how does a child 'show' signs of a high magical potential that would get them sending letters to the Academagia?

Mikka;

Fate & Destiny are very much a part of the consciousness of Elumia, and they are governed by Astrology.

Yes, only a few of the works of Monteon survived the Cataclysm.

The site of the Academagia had continuously been occupied for centuries if not millenia before the Exile...interesting things are always turning up. ;)

The Imperial Reserve, on the other hand, has mostly been wild for its history, although there are a few things to discover there...

Each of the Students is connected to the Instructors in a variety of ways (some bad!), and there are definite growing favorites. I think there would be too many to list...although a favor-racking Player probably exceeds all of them. :)

Mostly, it's money that separates mages from non-mages. Families with wealth or connections enough to pay the tuition at the Academagia (or another school) have the option to send their children for examination, which usually results in an invitation. However, in some cases, a letter will arrive from the Academagia to a family which does not have the wealth, connections, or, perhaps, even the interest...how does that happen? Most people assume that a wandering mage happens upon a child with clear talent and reports it. But is that really the case?

A very good question. :)