Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

If a Brew professor "lost" some crucial and "irreplaceable" notes about how to grade his students on a test concerning the removal of poisonous elements from a potion ingredient, would that professor be allowed to instead grade students on how long they remain standing after drinking their test result? Assume that the poison in this case is, naturally, not fatal or even overly harmful, further assume that the professor in this...hypothetical example is, let's put it nicely, not famous for his patience and/or mercy when dealing with his students.

Assume also that if I was a professor at the Academagia I'd make Regent Storey seem like Ghandi.

If I was a professor, I'd probably be a dedicated substitute for the main pillars, teaching the kids whatever they wanted so long as it could be reasonably justified that it could fit in the curriculum... Somehow. Then spend the remainder of time researching cross-pillar spells, and using orthography to record the results for the Legate. And I'd be content with that as a day job

If the ban was lifted and I didn't get in trouble for it, I'd consder campaigning hard to get Ickanix's regent position. (Suspicion be damned.) If Giovanni could get the Vernin gig despite not being a master Enchanter, then I could get Regency despite not being a Gates master. I could even drum up my Omni ways as being perfect for dealing with most potential situations that an errant Gates spell could create.

Ironically, the more I think about and try to justify an unban, the less I like the idea of dealing with an army of undead created by somebody else. Not like that's going to stop me, but the chaos factor definitely needs dealing with, first.

I honestly hope that somehow the PC can witness/participate in the undoing of the CF before Y5. That way we can actually see the fallout first hand and get involved directly with the mess. Otherwise it's just a matter of "And near the end of Y5 you can do something about the CF, not that the game will last long enough afterwards for people to notice". If that.

If you have the appropriate background, they'll half-jokingly ask you to summon a dragon to see if you've actually been doing your homework.

If you don't have the appropriate background I imagine that the PC isn't stupid enough to ever mention that detail.

Yeah, but there is no background for a family of Mastery users! (I'm sure a few exist, lol) I suspect that this may be something the player can discover in summer break. (Mastery probably is an easier art to hide in the normal world, even assuming most Gates usage is done in other dimensions...) and given the ethical issue, even a family that practices Mastery probably wouldn't want a first year kid learning it on their lonesome. Better wait until the kid returns home with some magic experience before you let the player in on it. ;)

How would it be a retcon if it was never established that your Y1 character's parents did or did not practice Mastery. Now if in Y1 you got a letter from your parents saying "Don't do Mastery. Love, Mom and Dad." Then yes then it would be established that they were specifically AIM. (Anti-Illegal Magic)

As it is, currently it is painfully vague as to what your parents might think. While most would be AIM I think we might have a chance to set our family as being IMPs (Illegal Magic Practicioners) Time will tell, though.

If an imported Y1 character can "retroactively" have his family be a bunch of Masterers, who presumably never told the PC since it never came up like The Secret Heritage/Secrets and Silence does, that will make for a very awkward homecoming if you played through An Outing... in Y1. House Kazus doesn't inform your family about anything. That is something you can to either tell them or try to keep secret from them yourself.

Mind, that background + Black Sheep (would explain allot, actually) + one planned potential outcome of Y2's follow-up of An Outing open to Black Sheep PCs...yeah. That is going to end with what I think is called "parricide". If not forgive me, but I'm not in the mood to Google the fancy term for a parent who has or is in the process of killing his/her own child.

Mind, that background + Black Sheep (would explain allot, actually) + one planned potential outcome of Y2's follow-up of An Outing open to Black Sheep PCs...yeah. That is going to end with what I think is called "parricide". If not forgive me, but I'm not in the mood to Google the fancy term for a parent who has or is in the process of killing his/her own child.

Infanticid. Parricid is the reverse.

There you go. That's how that scenario is going to end. With infanticide.

Now I wonder if Y2's "the pc can die" shtick is just an extra dramatic "you done rolled a 1, reload and try again" mechanic of if it's a sign the team has embraced the idea of dramatic, story-changing events happening and allowing the story to continue and play out with those changes (or scars, depending on who you ask). If the latter I demand that the above scenario be one of those story-changing possibilities. It's perfect...I mean, it can be perfect. In theory.

There you go. That's how that scenario is going to end. With infanticide.

Now I wonder if Y2's "the pc can die" shtick is just an extra dramatic "you done rolled a 1, reload and try again" mechanic of if it's a sign the team has embraced the idea of dramatic, story-changing events happening and allowing the story to continue and play out with those changes (or scars, depending on who you ask). If the latter I demand that the above scenario be one of those story-changing possibilities. It's perfect...I mean, it can be perfect. In theory.

Oh man I just had a flashback to my ridiculously overscarred Hero from the first Fable, Running around in his union jack skivvies, in a scene that's supposed to be dramatic in theory but was thick with narm. Be careful what you wish for...

How would it be a retcon if it was never established that your Y1 character's parents did or did not practice Mastery. Now if in Y1 you got a letter from your parents saying "Don't do Mastery. Love, Mom and Dad." Then yes then it would be established that they were specifically AIM. (Anti-Illegal Magic)

As it is, currently it is painfully vague as to what your parents might think. While most would be AIM I think we might have a chance to set our family as being IMPs (Illegal Magic Practicioners) Time will tell, though.

This line is exactly what I expect from parents who study Mastery them self as the risk in getting caught when using it at Academagica is to big.

From AIM I expect more something like this "Don't touch this thing called Mastery, ever! Thematic closed!"

Well, yes, I suppose you're right Schwarzbart, but I am just saving all of my creative energies for writing Mr. Pebbles' stuff, which is not progressing very quickly. Writing a grand thematic closing to a letter is too much for my laziness right now. I wasn't taking subtext into account, only literalness.

But that is an example of why you can't really know until it is established one way or another as to if the parents are IMPs.

What I wish for is that all the pieces can fall into place without the team deciding "okay, that's kinda not what we want so just count that as a game over", and letting the story unfold from there. Truth be told I doubt that situation with the attempted infanticide would play out, but, you know, I can make adjustments and make it happen.

Speaking of which, questions for the Legate:

1. Can a Y1 imported PC "retroactively" take the "Family is a bunch of Masterers" background?

2. House Kazus is both legally required and honor-bound by their own tradition to expose illegal magic users, but the Captain isn't their biggest fan. Would he investigate people he would be told to investigate by House Kazus, and would he do so immediately, or would the Captain first demand hard evidence before he'll lift a finger?

3. How would the Academagia deal with a student who's parents went underground/were executed for attempted infanticide?

4. Is there something like a "totally legit and on the up-and-up" mercenary band in Mineta and/or assassination guilds that accept commissions?

BTW, I'm really glad I posted the context before the actual questions because that'd be a strange set of questions for the Legate to answer out of the blue.

5. Do artifact repositories exist for the common person to dispose of things? (say like, a cursed talking rock..? and Gates artifacts???)

6. Will Y2 keep track of competed random events done in Y1? Or just adventures?