Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1) How common is it that a noble who is not a heir give up on the past name in favour of the one from their husband / wife?

2) How early are weddings arranged by the parents, even as early as the gender is known?

3) Will we see at last one arranged marriage of a student trough the 5 years?

3b) If so at what year can we expect this the earliest?

4) How strong will the pressure on the player who is a noble or even royal to find the right match?

5) Is there even a combination of backgrounds where the player have to fight or accept the person their parents have chosen as the partner for the live?

6) Is it common that Astrology take part in finding the right partner for the child of a noble?

7) Legate, do people in this setting use magic to determine, or even set the gender of an unborn child? It seems that Revision magics could do that permanently if done early enough. Actually given human nature I'd be surprised if that wasn't done.

1) Seeing how...fun...nobles can be and how someone who isn't an heir can reasonably leave the family and never look back, I'd expect it happens more often than not.

2) I imagine a few would plan things out that far in advance, though I assume they're the exception and not the rule.

3) I imagine so, if said student manages to make it through all 5 years.

3b) IIRC 1st years are 12-14 and you can marry starting at 18, to that'd be year 4 at earliest. If ever.

4) That will probably depend primarily on other factors. Like a Favored child suffering more pressure than a Black Sheep would.

5) Probably, it's just a question of what combination.

6) If a noble can afford the services of an Astrologer I assume they'd use it.

7) Determine, sure. Set I'm doubtful of whether they could. Not whether they would, mind you.

Schwarzbart;

1) How common is it that a noble who is not a heir give up on the past name in favour of the one from their husband / wife?

As Metis notes, it's pretty common if they are marrying into the nobility. Otherwise, they usually do not give it up.

2) How early are weddings arranged by the parents, even as early as the gender is known?

Arranged marriages are common amongst the nobility, and that certainly does happen in the cradle.

3) Will we see at last one arranged marriage of a student trough the 5 years?

I imagine yes. :)

3b) If so at what year can we expect this the earliest?

I am not sure on that.

4) How strong will the pressure on the player who is a noble or even royal to find the right match?

I imagine fairly strong. :)

5) Is there even a combination of backgrounds where the player have to fight or accept the person their parents have chosen as the partner for the live?

Yes, this pressure will come from your backgrounds.

6) Is it common that Astrology take part in finding the right partner for the child of a noble?

Amongst the more religious, yes.

freespace2dotcom, on 20 Aug 2014 - 1:31 PM, said:snapback.png

7) Legate, do people in this setting use magic to determine, or even set the gender of an unborn child? It seems that Revision magics could do that permanently if done early enough. Actually given human nature I'd be surprised if that wasn't done.

If it is done, it is done secretly. But there have been stories...

As Metis notes, it's pretty common if they are marrying into the nobility. Otherwise, they usually do not give it up.

I kinda noted the exact opposite. Just saying ;).

Also, Legate, you seem to have missed a question:

Not a fun surprise, honestly. Really, I just have to ask: Is the PC's Mark busted or is it part of the Mark's design that it can be so easily subverted? The former could be easily explained as Nhordum botching his Enchant roll, the latter wouldn't throw a wrench in everything Y1 established so much as a stack of TNT.

If for some reason the player ends Y1 without a familiar I would support Pamela showing up in Y2.

Though Oriabel is only apparently interested in 'exotic' ghosts as pam is too 'ordinary' (probably means she wasn't summoned through Gates...)

1) During the summer break will be able to visit the academy if we took one as background even if it means we have to do some traveling?

My current char took Academy: Blackheath and would love to do some glamour studies trough the summer break in hope he can learn there something a Vernin student usually is not be able to learn at Academagica.

Old questions from me I don't think that where answered:

2) Can we get info about the prerequisite from year 2 classes that have 2 or more prerequisites?

3) Can you share some common historical year 5 focus for each College?

4) What familiars can speak the human language and what familiars might be able to learn speaking it with enough teaching?

Few questions I should have asked earlier with regards to my WIP adventure:

"Ever heard of a Potion of Perfected Turning?". You shake your head. "Well long story less long that potion allows two people, like Leene and Lotus here, to have a child. Slight problem, though, is that everyone that's used that potion ended up having a daughter for reasons unknown. Hence why Leene knew.".

5) Can a potion like this exist in the game lore? Oh, and to answer the obvious question of "why doesn't anyone use Revision to accomplish the same thing": Nhordum/Leene's Revision aren't up to snuff and Lotus doesn't trust her own skills enough to even try (if she had the necessary spell/Phemes, at least the former of which she doesn't).

"We all have good reason to be nervous about wild cards," Nhordum interjects. He's carrying a steaming cup of tea, which is nice... but you notice there's also a bag slung over his shoulder. It's thick leather, and it looks quite old.

Rain has a playful grin on her face, though you'd guess that she'd be entirely willing to throw around a Mastery spell if that's what necessary to keep you and Nhordum from fighting. She walks into the kitchen and puts down a old leather bag you hadn't noticed before, which appears to contain a few groceries. It's...surprisingly mundane, honestly.

6) Who is the owner of the old leather bag, and does it have any significance? In my Y2 WIP I typed it as actually being Rain's bag, but the team might have other plans, so I don't know. BTW, if my interpretation of the bag has credence to it that completely meaningless bag mentioned in passing only once is why I can perfectly accept Nhordum botching an Enchant roll even though he could, in theory, have taken like fifteen seconds to cast a few Enhance-loaded 6th Fingers and end up with a triple digit Enchant Roll (he was enrolled in both Revision and Enchant, so he doubtlessly has both). Nhordum is as chill and unmoving as a glacier, so even in that situation it'd be odd for him to forget something important, but having possession of Rain's bag in that situation would unquestionably break even his concentration.

Fun Fact: I just got the "Actually, you'd really, REALLY like to know more about these particular techniques... but you'd be a fool to admit it. Nuts." option during An Outing... with only Mastery 1, so I now suspect it's not Mastery 2 but a Mastery subskill that needs to be at least 2 to get that. For reference, this (very cheaty test PC) has Mastery Phemes 2, Mastery Spells 3 and the other two at 1. No Secrets and Silence or Secret Heritage either.

paz that looks like a incantation and not a astrology spell.

If it is something that comes from the sky I could see its astrology but direct summon a damaging energy between your hand is usually only incantation.

Wrath of the Comet Tail even learned in Astrology is actual a Incantation spell!

@Freespace here you have one Omni discipline spell as it uses Astrology knowledge but Incantation casting methods ;)

Schwarzbart;

In some cases yes, but not in all, unfortunately.

I believe the other questions are still pending answers. But I'll ask again. :)

Metis;

Such a potion is unlikely, but not impossible, to exist. The reason is that creating conception is notoriously difficult for reasons unknown.

paz;

It's possible to create such effects with Astrology, in a way. The effect you want, though, is probably beyond your average Y5 Student. Not that I imagine anyone here would be average. :)

I might be "average" in Astrology knowledge in y5 (hopefully a tad bit above that, though.) Of course, By mixing the pillars, one might be able to achieve a result higher than the sum of the individual parts.... ;)

Legate of Mineta, on 23 Aug 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

Schwarzbart;

In some cases yes, but not in all, unfortunately.

I believe the other questions are still pending answers. But I'll ask again. :)

Metis;

Such a potion is unlikely, but not impossible, to exist. The reason is that creating conception is notoriously difficult for reasons unknown.

paz;

It's possible to create such effects with Astrology, in a way. The effect you want, though, is probably beyond your average Y5 Student. Not that I imagine anyone here would be average. :)

Could you tell us what academy background are planed that we can visit trough the summer break?

About cosmic energy I think it also depend on how you define what it is because it might even end in be gate magic.

I.e. if you say cosmic = void then you don't want to be anywhere close where this "energy" get summoned as it will be a gigantic implosion and void would be gate or negation.

If cosmic is just the size and force of your otherwise normal kinetic ball as shown in this video then its probably a incantation spell that is just named cosmic for the fun of it.

So before all you need a definition what's this cosmic is and if you go to something really exotic for a Renaissance culture like antimatter, fission etc. then you most likely need (bad)luck with gate magic!

1) Can we find some info about the Etheral Workshop or will there more story to it in year 2 if we found and used it in year 1? (first time I think I got this location)

2) Is there a spell that actual throw a person out of the time (unlike the Planar Displacement spell that don't get that fare)?

3) Will this spell be available to learn or be able to research by the player in a later year?

4) Is Rimbal a year 2 class skill (for Godina) or "just" a club activity?

Metis;

Ah! I am not sure the answer, but I'll ask. :)

Schwarzbart;

1) Can we find some info about the Etheral Workshop or will there more story to it in year 2 if we found and used it in year 1? (first time I think I got this location)

I *believe* you'll find out more.

2) Is there a spell that actual throw a person out of the time (unlike the Planar Displacement spell that don't get that fare)?

Hmmm. I am not sure...I don't think so.

3) Will this spell be available to learn or be able to research by the player in a later year?

If there is, it will be almost certainly. ;)

4) Is Rimbal a year 2 class skill (for Godina) or "just" a club activity?

Club, as I understand it.

Free;

Mostly, yes.

3) You meant the ability to create your own portrait and use them ingame? I would assume so, especially since Y1 has that feature and I see no reason to remove it from Y2.

4) Most likely. There's a few other ways the team could go about handing out Sync skill maximums, with various reasons as to why other methods are cut off, but they'd all cause some problems/inconsistencies that independent research simply won't have. The simplest option is the best option in this case.

paz;

1) will the npc's be able to apply to the extra classes?

Yes.

2) the extra classes have exams similars to the ones of the regular classes?

Yes.

3) do we have the option to change portraits in-game, similar to a upload system of the the forums?

I think it's planned, but not guaranteed for Y2.

4) does syncronicity and its subskills will gain research topics?

Yes. :)