Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Can volnauge be recycled? Say you have a bunch of scrap, could you make a kind of plywood out of it, or would it lose too much (any?) of it's magical attributes? I would say mixing it with glue would weaken it's total load available, and it might not be too stable given how that sort of wood might try to climb to different heights. I'm curious on fact though.

No, to the sorrow of stranded mariners.

2. Do women ever court men for marriage? I am curious over the answer to this given the setting. I imagine it does happen, but how often compared to actual historical data for that time period?

It does happen, but very rarely and essentially only a factor at the lowest and highest stratas of society. It does happen more frequently than the similar period of European history.

3. If a professor was asked how they would rate skill wise against the Master wizards from before and during the exile, what would they likely say?

Those old Masters are beyond comparison: they are the Authorities. There can be no questioning them...

4. Can you ask what the oldest still-existing classrom at the Academagia is? And is it still in use?

It would be the observatory proper, which still hosts Astrology classes.

5. Since it's fairly clear that using illegal Magic and being caught can easily taint the whole family's reputation. Would this be enough to stop a student from being accepted to the academy if one (or both!) of their parents were executed for practicing the magic?

No.

6. Since we are aware from the lores that one certain Gates-museum holds a were-creature example, I'd like to ask what the current modern scholars think about the origins of lycanthropy and related... conditions. :)

Current scholars believe it is a blood curse, related to Astrological phenomenon.

7. While you've said that a periodic table of the elements doesn't exist, can you explain some chemical reactions not involving magic that are still well known? I suppose gunpower would be one example off the top of my head. The point is that there must be something revolving around real chemistry to develop that and I am curious what the state of what that science is in.

Jealously guarded recipes, and alchemical lore. But a unified view of reactions is unknown.

8. Can you give us a rundown of the important neighborhoods in Mineta? We're already aware of a couple,(The Admiratio! The Frontino also comes to mind) but apart from the map giving us a general appearance of the city with explanations of an upper and lower half, I was hoping we could learn more about the districts that make up those halves and maybe a landmark in them so we could have a mental map of where everything is when we read a story. What is the Undergate like, for instance?

This will have to wait for Y2. :)

9. It needs to be asked. Since there are events which can kill the player in Y2, what about events that would severely maim them to the point of not being able to study magic anymore? Would they be considered basically the same thing as far as mechanics go?

Physical injuries can occur, with permanent debilitating effects.

10. While you've said that within the boundaries of Elumia, slavery does not exist, but what would happen if a slave was brought in from a country that practiced it, because said slave was owned by some rich noble from a practicing country who was visiting for negotiations of some kind? What if there were runaway slaves? Are the emancipated?

There is no concept of border emancipation (with one notable exception)- they would remain slaves. That wouldn't prevent local authorities from changing that customary law, of course, as is the case in Pievre.

11. Since the end of the sphinx syndicate adventure never specified it, can you confirm that the necklace was personally handed by the player to Von Rupprecht? And were there any words spoken at that time? I'm not asking for what the esteemed Regent said to poor Briardi, as clearly that happened later and we don't need to know that for Y1.

No comment yet.

12. Does Calligraphy/Orthography have the ability to make copies of documents? If it does, then why does Von Rupprecht ring his better students into manually copying certain texts for him to sell? And if it does not, then why does Von Rupprecht hate printing presses? Also, if an Aranaz student was caught using a Vernin Printing Press, would that invoke his displeasure? Or his Wrath?

There are spells which can do this, but they are of course transitory. Manual copying is the only way to guarantee permanence.

Wrath, probably.

13. While the core of Mastery is banned for obvious reasons, I am curious why a spell like telepathy would be banned as well. I suppose you aren't going to be very forthcoming on this, but I think it's fairly obvious that a fairly harmless telepathy spell would probably be banned because in order to learn it, you'd have to learn a bunch of stuff first, that could be abused. I'd like confirmation if possible.

[Redacted], muahahaha.

14. What is the Academagia's official policy on students finding the odd lost magical artifact from a bygone era? Is it finders keepers? Aren't certain things technically the School's property to be turned over?

If it's found on school property...it's the school's property. In practice, of course...difficult to tell.

15. Can we get clarification on whether Basia cares about competition in all her classes or just Aranaz related ones? And whether she cares about all students trying to surpass her or just Aranaz students?

All classes.

16. While it's obvious that the Imperial Palace has fallen on harder times, and isn't being maintained to the highest standards, would you say that it's still in a good enough shape that there are no critical repairs needed if an Emperor was crowned?

No critical repairs are required for those kinds of venues.

17. While on the subject, I don't recall there ever being an Empress named. Is there a reason for that?

There are quite a few in the histories, although perhaps they did not get into the Lores.

18. Is there any particular reason why the map of Elumia that we have access to stops at a certain point?

The original canvas. Other maps exist, well beyond that canvas, although not prepared for consumption.

19. We have seen a few examples of people speaking the Draconic language. Is it physically possible for a human to speak it perfectly? As I imagine that the tongues those dragons have would make for some very interesting... Differences... in speech compared to a human, even if all the Phonemes are identical.

It is possible, although very difficult to master.

20. Are any settled islands of Elumia particularly hard to dock with due to extreme height?

Yes, several, Ruckmarn in particular.

21. Is it suspected that there are horizontal limits to the maelstrom surrounding the islands? Kind of like there are horizontal limits?

There is no known upper limit, although the lower limit is well charted.

22. If a wizard was to fall off the island from the lowest point in Mineta, about how much time would they have before hitting the lower limit? More than enough time to calmly gather the phemes together to solve that gravity problem, I hope?

Yes, it's a fair way down.

23. Given how magic can be very effective if a person has a little bit of creativity in solving a particular magical problem, does the school give any seminars on how creative applications can overcome limitations in magic?

No...most of these techniques are fairly closely held, for reasons of competition.

24. Is there anything in school legend that says what the reasons were for Orso Orsi nearly being expelled during his time as a student at the Academagia?

Oh yes. But what's correct? Who knows...

25. Since the professors are terrible gossips, is it possible for the enterprising student to get a hold of this gossip for their own personal use, particularly from a professor themselves?

Surely, that could *never* happen...

26. If an ice spell was to encase an item sold in ice, and then wear off or get negated, would that item be cold to the touch afterward?

Yes.

27. Let's say a stone was revised into a feather, and then revised again back into a stone. Would both spells technically be active on it at the same time? And if the first was to wear off before the second? What would happen to the stone? Or do all spells on an object combine to form in effect, one spell?

It is possible to do a chained transformation as you suggest, but very difficult.

28. If Rotten food was Revised into fresh food and then eaten, would there be risk of food poisoning after the spell wore off? At least if the duration was not very long?

Yes, definitely.

29. Can you explain exactly how an ideal fits into the spell? Is it like a mental concept you make while casting the spell? That's the image I get but I can't help but feel that's wrong.

It's a concept of perfection that you wish the Spell to embody.

30. Is it speculated that if Monteon had never, well, basically became what it is today, that the Empire would not have slowly stagnated into irrelevance? Or at least would have done so slower?

No, the Empire was already diminishing at that point, and the elected Emperors of Monteon were engaged in many wars to preserve the borders. The decline of the Empire is felt to begin with the Auncish Emperors.

31. Has an expedition into the outskirts of what remains of Monteon ever been attempted?

Many. Some even return.

32. What are the legal stances on things like medication and drugs? Is it heavily regulated? I imagine it to be mostly limited to common folk remedies, but then I am reminded that not so long ago in real life, things like cocaine were used for toothache painkiller, for children no less, so I am curious.

It's not regulated at all.

33. No I'm not done yet. :) Will we figure out what Pamela's spirit anchor is in Y2? It seems to me that you're not going to tell us what it is because spoilers but I figure this question is harmless enough.

No comment.

34. Who is the Inventor of the telegraph in this setting?

A Ruckmarn engineer, unnamed at this moment.

35. In games of chance that use dice, or even pure physical contests like dart throwing, how do you deal with magical cheating? In a place like the Academagia I suspect it would be a lot easier due to the surplus of magic users, but in the wider world if you weren't a mage how would you 'know'? I suppose a professional player would have some item that could help detect common cheats but...

You wouldn't, although many games do have simple charms to detect magic.

36. Are Phillipe's brothers known for any magical prowess? It's fairly obvious that the elder Marchant boys want him to live up to their example, so I would venture to guess a resounding no. Not that I'd necessarily say that to their faces, but maybe I would, toward the end of Y2, that is. :)

Probably not a good idea to say it even in Y2...

37. How much intrigue is there in the world of wizards? I know you've said that a lot of discoveries are kept secret because it can be profitable to be the only one who knows how to do things, but seriously, would you say that Knoht was originally trained for this sort of sneaky business? That's actually kind of awesome, actually.... :)

A great deal of intrigues go on to discover Phemes, Spells and various techniques. It's rarely murderous, but the stakes do tend to be high.

38. How much of a professor's discoveries remain their own? And what about a student's discoveries? What about a student making an independent discovery while working for a professor?

Student discoveries belong the University, as do Professorial discoveries. In the latter case, though, they share some of the profit.

39. Since certain classes can bounce back and forth between colleges, do the same instructors teach the classes regardless of the college responsible for it? Or does the college which acquires a class to teach have to staff it with professors from said college?

Same Instructor.

40. Although Y2 is all about learning of the different factions and power struggles on campus, is it likely that our choices in Y1 have already put us on the lists of some of them before Y2 even starts?

YES. :)

41. Can you use Gates to close an existing Gate safely? Would the chaos factor possibly make things worse? Would Gates practicioners benefit from Negation?

You can't really use Gates to close an existing Gate without prompting some kind of disaster. However, most Gates contain a 'switch' to turn off the spell at the caster's whim.

Thank you Legate, Thank you Team.

I will have to restrain myself and not exceed 20 questions from this point forward. I definitely felt that they didn't have the time to elaborate on the answers like they usually do. Still very interesting answers though.

on 12, you say that copying spells are transitory. I am surprised that a spell to apply permanent ink has not yet been invented. Perhaps something that can move a quill around?

on 41. Do those 'switches' have to be engineered into the spell? I suppose many famous spells already have them, but I suppose that's something that we haven't learned to engineer ourselves for any new magic yet.

1) Are there known (semi)permanent gate portals that show the other side?

2) How are my chances to have DLC 17 before 18.12.?

3) Is Academagia teach spells that repair structures like Buildings & Bridges that where damaged in the last days?

4) If something is (nearly) complete destroyed can Revision still repair it?

5) So telegraphy exist already? What city's are connected via a telegraphy network and how is the gap between different isle bridged?

Schwarzbart;

1) None still extant.

2) Hahaha! I dare not say. I think it depends on this save problem.

3) Yes, they do teach repair spells of one variety or another.

4) Yes.

5) A few cities in Staade are so connected, and there is one rail line which bridges an island in that area. It's suspended on volnauge platforms, and the telegraph runs beneath it.

1) Will the year 2 import tool be able to tell us what mods are needed for import a save?

2) Do we have to be prepare a complete year 1 install with the mods of the imported save or do we have to copy the DLC and mod somewhere into the import tool directory?

2b) If we have to copy the DLC and Mod into the import tool directory can we copy all DLC and Mods in and the Tool pick the right one?

So, Since we know how DLC17 is doing, I think I'll ask about Y2's development, since its been a few months since we last asked.

After DLC 17 releases, what else needs to be done for Y2 to go Gold?

1) What's Prudence's background like? She doesn't seem to be especially wealthy, or a noble, or even um... that smart. How did she get into the Academagia?

2) After tarnishing her reputation in her adventure, how is Flore seen around campus? It seems like from the Dialectic class adventure that she's already kind of outspoken and has a sense of humour, does that side of her come across more later in the year I guess? Or does she continue to be seen as a bully?

3) How come students from a particular country don't have skill levels in their native language?

4) When Durand discovers that his "new spell" isn't actually new (the descriptions seem to imply they're established, known spells), how much will it break his heart?

• 2 weeks later...

So can Y2 check whether your rival is the same gender as you, and as part of the whole "11+ relationship does something in Y2" thing, can it also check whether the both of you have Affection/Love/whatever with the same student? If yes I've got an RE to type to immortalize what might be my new record holder for "most awkward moment in an E-rated game". Jury's still undecided, but either way it's certainly a thing.

I Think that would make you two a whole 'nother kind of rival, or at the very least, boost the rivalry to an extreme exent. :)

After seeing the situation I've accidentally managed to engineer I honestly can't say I agree. Though I suppose gameplay wise it's likely the best you could do.

EDIT:

Metis;

Why, yes, it can. :)

Oh, goody. Well, I'll get around to that one of these days. Maybe. Once I'm done spamming Water Laser.

I'll never be done spamming Water Laser. It is the best spell.

Edited by Metis

That's the name of the primary spell I use in that game, yes. Giant [redacted]-off laser beam made of water that goes off-screen if I shoot it from one end of the screen to the other, and it stays on-screen long enough to hit twice. Also found the first missing page for it, so I get two [redacted]-off lasers per shot. And that at only 150 RP per shot because of my crazy high Magic skill, and even if that's not enough I've got like 14 Rune Factories set up that restore 5K RP each. Incidentally, the supposed great big weakness of mages in that game? A lack of staying power because of their inability to cast magic from HP in the same way you can slowly kill yourself by swinging a sword all day long :rolleyes:. Sure, the real weakness is enemy mages with high magic defence, hitting twice isn't worth much if you're doing 1 damage per hit, but...I've got plans to address that issue :).

Ah yes, before I forget, are there any...I want to say Japanese-style public bath houses in Mineta? I vaguely recall them being a thing during the...Roman era I want to say? But...maybe more relatively modern times as well? I don't freaking know. Oh, I'm asking because that supremely awkward situation has gotten an extra layer of awkward, though I'll leave it to your imagination how it did :P.