Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Actually, I just thought of something. Just how high up is Elumia? Can one actually see a curved horizon? I imagine that can't be so simply because of the thin atmosphere. Is it Mt. Everest high? Even that would put a damper on the physical activities even if people were raised on air that thin. Especially if they climbed a mountain on top of that. Or is the magic that holds Elumia having affect on the air too? It would certainly make some sense if the maelstrom had an effect on that, but it's a little hard to wrap one's head on what would be required to do every bit of that. (in addition to the whole island raising thing)

freespace;

I'm not sure the actual height, but it is above the mountains of Cyve (and you can see a curved horizon). The air is breathable in Elumia regardless of elevation, although it does seem to thin a bit up in the mountains. It's not considered odd that air should be breathable at this elevation, except for perhaps a very few of those interested in natural philosophy. :)

I am more and more sure that it must be some kind of Dimensional Pocket the Islands are in even with the posibility to see the outside.

Because it apears there is no way out (except for dragons), the matter that leave always returns, the air is just ground level and to hover loot of landmasses its probably easyer to change the natural laws then to actuall bring them to float in the air.

No, that's just my little enchanted floating ship. It's actually quite small and not meant for long voyages.

*Casts Hrud's Boots of Mud on Adrian*

Not getting away now!

So, Legate, if I might ask, when negating a spell, can you "preemptively" negate it, or do you have to wait until it affects you before you can negate it?

I don't think the question about Magic Resistance has ever be raised. Is there's such thing as innate magic resistance or you have to make do with per-emptive magical shield/ward/enchantment? If it does exist, how would it be calculated in game? By % chance reduction and/or damage reduction?

Nyaa;

There is such a thing as Magic Resistance, but the how's and why's of it are complex, and, curiously enough, some wizards working on it mysteriously disappear...;)

It is known that all things have a Resistance to Magic, whether sentient or no, which can cause Spells to miss their target or be destroyed upon contact with the target. Air also has a slight magical resistance which (it is theoried) is the reason why teleportation spells do not seem to work as desired...at least, as Elumian wizards understand them. ;)

Edit: Probably should save this for Y2 Lores. :)

1. What is the average level of clockwork technology? I suddenly remembered that grandfather clocks made for poor timekeeping while at sea in real life. Do they have pocketwatches?

2. On a similar subject, How does one navigate on an airship? In real life timekeeping was once very important in determining longitude, and I'm curious if a latitude/longitude system would even work with this setting, seeing as how there does seem to be a real "edge of the world" here.

3. Are (non-magical) magicians common? It seems as though if people had access to the Real Thing there wouldn't have been a need to develop a "Fake Magic" for entertainment. Are real wizards sufficiently rare enough for there to be a market for it? (Even in Mineta?) OR are they mostly a diversionary wing of the theives guild or something?

4. Is there slavery/indentured servitude anywhere?

5. What about religious crusades/inquisitions?

6. Exactly how does mailing letters and packages work? I mean are we talking government or private carriers? Are there varying levels of "speedy delivery" or should people just be happy if it gets there at all?

7. Is there a place like the Bermuda Triangle?

8. If I had an annoying rock that wouldn't shut up, and I attempted to mail it off to the middle of nowhere, where would be the best place for that?

9. When people go shopping, do they use paper bags, or wicker baskets, or something else reusable?

10. Is there a good large pipe organ somewhere on campus? I want to teach Pamela to play some ominous songs at night.

11. Are there any lighthouses near Mineta?

12. Do Samurai exist? I'm mostly just interested in them for katanas, but if ninja exist then it's a fair question.

13. A: How common are chimneys, B: are the fireplaces predominately magical or mundane (coal) and C: where do they get fuel for them if they aren't magical?

14. Are there animals that fly and pose a genuine hazard to airships, that are also common enough that there's a good chance of bumping into one on a voyage somewhere?

15. Are early pencils in use at all? and what animal's feathers are typically used in their quills?

16. Do mages acquire or innately have an "affinity" to certain elements?

17. Is there any movement, no matter how small, that seeks to ban every and all types of magic?

18. Understanding the ramifications of sentient golems, are there any on campus that still exist from the old days?

19. Exactly how good are nonsentient golems at following orders?

20. The big one. How does the monetary system work? I remember that there are many varying currencies. Do any rulers debase their coinage? Is there paper money anywhere?(this includes bank certificates) And is there full reserve or fractional reserve banking?

Schwarzbart;

*Yes*. :)

Freespace;

1. What is the average level of clockwork technology? I suddenly remembered that grandfather clocks made for poor timekeeping while at sea in real life. Do they have pocketwatches?

On average, clockwork and clockmaking is much more advanced in Elumia as compared to Renaissance Europe- for the very wealthy, clockwork pocket watches are certainly available.

2. On a similar subject, How does one navigate on an airship? In real life timekeeping was once very important in determining longitude, and I'm curious if a latitude/longitude system would even work with this setting, seeing as how there does seem to be a real "edge of the world" here.

An excellent question; in this era, navigation by stars and position of the sun is all that's necessary. As you note, apart from the mercantile traffic (which follows the coast, or, in some cases, actually sails over land) there is no long distance navigation necessary. Dragons have an unerring and unknown method of navigation, however.

3. Are (non-magical) magicians common? It seems as though if people had access to the Real Thing there wouldn't have been a need to develop a "Fake Magic" for entertainment. Are real wizards sufficiently rare enough for there to be a market for it? (Even in Mineta?) OR are they mostly a diversionary wing of the theives guild or something?

They are definitely common, as there are many uses for 'magic', and many people willing to take advantage of it. ;)

4. Is there slavery/indentured servitude anywhere?

There are indentured servants (and serfs) in Elumia, but no slaves. Slavery still exists in Oursouk and Teique, however, and presumably further east as well.

5. What about religious crusades/inquisitions?

In this era, no, but the commercial conquests in Oursouk, from to time to time, has a religious undertone.

6. Exactly how does mailing letters and packages work? I mean are we talking government or private carriers? Are there varying levels of "speedy delivery" or should people just be happy if it gets there at all?

A religious order, the Last House of the West, is usually what people use for very important mail. Their vows insure secrecy, and they have very potent magic as well. Less important mail is usually privately contracted with a merchant, captain or other traveller, for a small fee. Pievre has a governmental mail service.

7. Is there a place like the Bermuda Triangle?

The Maelstrom of Monteon fits- it's an area of cyclones and other dangerous weather where Monteon once was. Sailing there is...foolish. :)

8. If I had an annoying rock that wouldn't shut up, and I attempted to mail it off to the middle of nowhere, where would be the best place for that?

Hahaha! There being no antipodes, I suppose somewhere in Oursouk or Teique. :)

9. When people go shopping, do they use paper bags, or wicker baskets, or something else reusable?

Anything reusable- wicker being the most likely candidate, but cloth (burlap) sacks as well.

10. Is there a good large pipe organ somewhere on campus? I want to teach Pamela to play some ominous songs at night.

Excellent question! I do not know, but I imagine the answer is yes. :)

11. Are there any lighthouses near Mineta?

In the city, no.

12. Do Samurai exist? I'm mostly just interested in them for katanas, but if ninja exist then it's a fair question.

Who can say? There are no trade routes to the far east, so it's all just conjecture, myth and legend. On the other hand, strange eastern swords sometimes make their way even as far as Elumia...;)

13. A: How common are chimneys, B: are the fireplaces predominately magical or mundane (coal) and C: where do they get fuel for them if they aren't magical?

Common. Mundane. Woods or coal mines. One pleasant fact about the Exile is that coal dust, shaken off the edge of the island, eventually does seem to repopulate the veins where they were originally found.

14. Are there animals that fly and pose a genuine hazard to airships, that are also common enough that there's a good chance of bumping into one on a voyage somewhere?

The only animals that pose genuine hazard to airships are Dragons, although certain birds...well...you'll have to explore a bit in game. ;)

15. Are early pencils in use at all? and what animal's feathers are typically used in their quills?

No for pencils; for quills, any kind of bird's feather will do. Naturally, people of wealth prefer rarer kinds of feathers.

16. Do mages acquire or innately have an "affinity" to certain elements?

It's believed no.

17. Is there any movement, no matter how small, that seeks to ban every and all types of magic?

There are a few monastic orders that ban magic within their walls, but apart from a few peasant's movements centuries ago, there are no such movements. Publically. ;)

18. Understanding the ramifications of sentient golems, are there any on campus that still exist from the old days?

It's believed no, but I could be wrong about that.

19. Exactly how good are nonsentient golems at following orders?

As good as the enchantment given. Some can be quite sophisticated.

20. The big one. How does the monetary system work? I remember that there are many varying currencies. Do any rulers debase their coinage? Is there paper money anywhere?(this includes bank certificates) And is there full reserve or fractional reserve banking?

This is too large of a question! Speaking only about the City of Mineta, the Captains have, from time to time, varied metal composition in their coinage, yes. Bank certificates are in wide use, along with various kinds of promissory notes. Full reserve, except for the Thieves Guild. ;)

I was wondering what is believed to have caused the Cataclysm of Monteon, and what the effects were.

Along with a few questions about the kings and queens of old (as well as the dragons) its a question I constantly keep an eye out for when reading lore. - Could you perhaps share a tidbit or two? ;)

I wonder if at some point the team will sell a E-Book about all the "History" of this game to answear many of this questions ;) .

Edit: Especial the Part of the History when the Rebelion against the Dragon happened could give a good read and I doubt we see to much facts about this ingame at last unless we are able to timetravel to this time ^^.

Adrian;

Oh, there are many theories, ranging from the disfavor of the gods to Draconic machinations. If there is a prevailing theory, it's that the long tenure of the (elected) Emperors of Monteon angered the New Gods and the bloodline of the Emperors they chose, and so Monteon was utterly destroyed.

Schwarzbart;

An e-Book would be cool, but I think we'd prefer to keep that in game as much as possible. The history is ancient and complex, but only so much is known in the present day...;)