Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1) What kind of "self-playing" instruments are common in the setting of Academagia? (For this question all instruments that are powered by a crank but that is nearly everything the human have to do also count as self-playing)

2) Is Avila by now the only College that have some larger issues with gender discrimination or is there some in other college as well?

3) From Freespace What kind of oddities can be found in the buildings in Mineta that might be unusual for us simply due to the times that they live in, in setting?

Schwarzbart;

1) Apart from the mechanical curiosities you mention, there is brisk business is magically enchanted instruments. In fact, there is a merchant who rents them for parties, primarily for the nobility.

2) Large issues? Avila only.

3) Leaving aside art and architecture, older, now mostly defunct, enchantments, might be the primary thing of interest.

1) How far spread is plumbing for fresh water and sewage?

I suspect at last outside of the cities and people who can pay for magic solutions you have to walk to the next well or stream to get "fresh" water what result i.e. in the use of pisspot or outhouse there. (Maybe that is what freespace wanted to know as oddities)

2) Are Roman inventions like gender split bathhouse and public group toilettes common or is in the Academagia setting privacy for this things more important?

Not exactly, Schwarzbart. Sort of close though. :) More like did people have secret cellars for storing common goods that were prohibited for a time? Were there lots of space on the rooftops for collecting rainwater at one point? Do some buildings have multiple layered colors of paint on them from changing political associations? That kind of thing is interesting.

Schwarzbart;

1) In the City of Mineta, it's nearly 100% coverage, with the sewage flowing into the Ardica, well downriver.

2) 'Roman' custom predominates in the City, although it is beginning to become more private. In the Academy, it's entirely private.

Free;

Secret cellars? Not so much, at least not in the City. Among the farms, perhaps. Rainwater is collected, but paint isn't quite used in that way. 'Blues' and 'Reds' don't have a modern analogue.

@Legate of Mineta

A game mechanics question: Do different days (or time slots) in the in-game calendar have effects on success or failure of certain checks? Maybe an Astrological feature?

Since I've noticed that some times if a roll (that should have a decent chance of success) fails no matter how many times I reload, then sometimes advancing the day allows the roll to succeed when tried on a different day (same relevant attribute/skills/buffs/etc.). Sometimes even just moving the action or adventure to a different time slot will allow it to succeed.

Strangely this seems to effect favor result tables as well. Are favor result tables affected by CoS%? (I have had a favor fail before, but that should be different than the actual results table once it's already succeeded.)

ohh wow I thought that actual permanence is impossible to do but enchanting something to hold 100 or 1000nd of years is possible. As far I remember everything try to go back to its natural condition what make enchanting something will become more and more difficult the longer it should endure. For something living they become more and more immune to the used way to extend the live that each kind of enchantment / revision spell can only be used for some time.

Of course, for all practicality, lasting for centuries is permanent to most folks.

A question on long lasting enchantments.Do they suddenly fail when they expire like a regular spell?, or is it possible for them to gradually fade in strength? And is it possible to repair nearly expired enchantments at least for a decade or two even if you weren't an expert on the magic used if you have at least a solid understanding of enchanting skills?

Maybe Architecture and Engineering is [redacted] because of the study of draconic architecture, or more likely it's because it pertains to the Y2 class list... heh. ;)

Legate, do you have an answer to my question above? If the answer is no, it might indicate a bug in the random number generator initialization or the generator itself.

1. Was archery formerly given more prominence in first year Athletics before gunpowder weaponry became a major factor in warfare?

2. Are there rumours swirling around why Beatrix von Wetgen has been given such freedom on the Campus and/or whether she is searching for something specific?

3. When did the other colleges of Academagia allow women? and was it all at once, or in a sequence?

4. Are imps associated with gates magic? is there a stereotype of gates mages summoning imps?

5. Would it be illegal in Mineta to publish a fictional work about a world in which humans ride and control dragons?

Thanks, Legate. Sounds like a "no", that there isn't a system with preset hidden bonus by calendar day (excluding the Astrology spell), similar to my question with the weather affecting things. 

About Beatrix, Zoe apparently has the Graverobber's background (I've seen her with the Graverobber's Shame emotion in a recent game), so maybe if Beatrix has the "Descended from Heroes" background then it could be backstory to match that -- visitation rights to the Imperial Reserve.