Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Would that be easy enough that a 1st or 2nd year student at Academagia could do it?

2. How easy would it be for a mage to learn about new phemes or spells through watching another mage in casual (i.e., non-formal, non-instructive) magic use?

3. Can mastery mages suppress or cloud people's minds so that the people wouldn't notice their spell-casting?

4. What language is in use by most people in Thei?

5. Is it easy to learn negation magic to protect against mastery? what about to detect mastery?

I'm sure #3 is possible,  but.... There will always be someone who slips through the cracks of your defenses, or a mage who will be powerful enough to not be affected, in which case....

5) After this long ban of Mastery and Gate magic I doubt its easy to learn the necessary magic to detect or even protect against them. All material that you would need to study for this is either in restricted library or was destroyed. Not to mention that the people that practice now this kind of magic use probably different magic then a few hundred years back when the current ban was put in place.

Rhi;

1. Would that be easy enough that a 1st or 2nd year student at Academagia could do it?

It could be done, but it may be difficult for that skill level.

2. How easy would it be for a mage to learn about new phemes or spells through watching another mage in casual (i.e., non-formal, non-instructive) magic use?

Very difficult, unless you were close and had good access to the Palette.

3. Can mastery mages suppress or cloud people's minds so that the people wouldn't notice their spell-casting?

Yes. :)

4. What language is in use by most people in Thei?

There isn't one, although Old Elumian is considered the, ah, lingua franca of the Empire. :)

5. Is it easy to learn negation magic to protect against mastery? what about to detect mastery?

By easy, do you mean, is it easy to gain access to these magics? If so, it's not common, but it's relatively straightforward to learn them. Detection magics are more commonly known than the defenses.

1. Has anyone been able to reverse engineer some level of Mastery or Gates knowledge from the Defenses taught against them?

2. Can you give us an example of how an advanced Glamour might break down over time, before its duration ended?

3. In Magsa's extra credit assignment, the final stage where Briardi turns the poor fellow into a girl, the adventure states that the spell is an incantation and not a Revision. Can you explain that? Also, I think this is the only time we've seen Briardi use something other than a Negation so I am curious if the player asked her about that "trial by fire" and her skill with magic outside Negation, what her response might be?

1. What does well-rounded mean in this context? not mastery of all legal pillars, but could it mean at least journeyman status in 1 or 2 in addition to mastery of one?

2. I could see how incantation could be used to change a person's sex. Incantation is all about creating. The cruder sort of incantation is fire, wind, lightning, etc, but possibly more advanced incantation could create flesh and organs, which could then be revised to stick to a  person's body. Basically, might changing a sex involve both revision and incantation, with the incantation part being more advanced? And does revision merely alter matter, never create new matter?

Rhi;

1) That depends on the Instructor...and they are very keen to avoid Students knowing that information. :)

2) Revision does not create new matter, although Incantation does. However, it's more complex than that. It is possible to revise an elephant so that it is small or larger, and this is not considered to be the loss or creation of new material. It has to do with Ideals.

1. Are not magical games rather rarer or more expensive than their magical counterparts (outside perhaps Mineta)?

2. Negation magic can be used to reduce gravity, allowing for levitation (and incantation magic can levitate with wind), but are there magical spells to increase gravity/exert pressure upon targets? Would those spells be incantation?

1. Is Professor Sido himself a noble?

2. Are there hobby or practical breeders of animals or plants for certain characteristics (for example, pigeons for meat or beauty, plants for yield or flowers)?

3. Can astrology be used to predict traits of the offspring of two people? I ask with the assumption that the parents' birthdays are known and their charts capable of being created, but the offspring would be a hypothetical.

4. How commonly used is astrology to plan or prohibit marriages or even friendships?

5. Can astrology be applied to animals?